Oppo Camp Deathriding Dogs, Freo and Crows - Daicos points.

Remove this Banner Ad

Assuming the season continues to form: North finishes last and N.Daicos stays a strong candidate for best player in the draft ...

... IMO there’a a good chance North won’t bid on Nick (saving us at least 400 points) ...

... Look at it from their point of view: They select Nick at 1, Collingwood matches, a new Collingwood player goes up on stage to rapturous applause, he collects the $10K cheque, he’s presented his guernsey by the Collingwood senior coach, they pose for photos on stage - from that point on a Collingwood player will forever be known as a #1 draft pick - then the fuss gets dialed down a few notches as they get on with #2, North make another pick, they get their player, and the process continues.

Wouldn’t North be far better off simply going for an unencumbered player, a player who they'll end up with anyway, and getting all the publicity and glory associated with the No. 1 pick?? Winning the wooden spoon sucks ducks, but if there is a silver lining then it is getting the best player in the draft.

And “the best player in the draft” is by definition the player who is picked at No.1, and it’s going to take some time before anybody will be able to definitively say otherwise (Pundits spent a few years arguing whether McCartin or Petracca was the better player).

I just don’t see North has anything to gain (and they have much needed PR to lose) by bidding on Nick.

GWS (who hold our first round pick) on the other hand will be different and they will almost certainly bid. It makes no difference to them whether they get up on stage for #2 or #3 ... giving Collingwood a biff on the nose on the way through is far more valuable to them from a PR point of view. (Assuming they’d be happy with N.Daicos on their list in the very unlikely event we pass - which surely any team would) We need to make sure we finish as high up the ladder as possible to reduce the effect of that.

Last edited:

I would agree, but I think the mould was broken last year when JUH got a bid at #1 IIRC.

Fair point.

Hopefully North see things a bit differently to what Adelaide did.

I guess a key ingredient is that there needs to some contention over who the best player in the draft is.

And maybe some clubs prefer to avoid the fuss and pressure that is put on the #1 player. For many clubs the player’s draft position means nothing once they’re picked, and perhaps it makes that process a bit easier if a player isn’t carrying the label of #1.

1657 points, by my count.

Picks 36, 40, 42 & 46. If he doesn’t go pick One, that’s just getting another 3rd rounder in via player trade or next years 3rd rounder and that’s before any pick trading for better overall value.
Correct. That's the tally for end of round 8. Due to little movement with Crows/Freo and Dogs mainly stayed where they are.

Do we death ride our own third rounder as well?
Crows are certainly showing good signs of a fall down the ladder

It would be very helpful if N Daicos was caught in a schoolboy scandal, much like Jack Darling was during his draft year which led him to slip from projected number 1 to being taken around 26

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Last year clubs temporarily regained the ability to cash in draft selections for points beyond the amount of vacant list spots they had.

Will this be continuing this season?

Haha, my error. WA boy here - not that familiar with Vic school systems and just assumed draftees were in final year at school

Maybe someone saw him at the Yo Yo Club on the weekend? 😉
Usually. He just happened to have finished already. Probably with his birthday in January. He might started school as a 5 year old. Some draftees already finished in their draft year. Dib is the same, Trent Bianco also had done so too. Suppose it depends when your birthday is and when you started school as a child.

The Bulldogs are ruining it, they just keep winning. Theres a big pack chasing them so if they drop off there could be a big points gain, but they look too good at the moment for it to happen. Two games clear of the next team.

assume we finish 2nd or 3rd last and North don't call out Daicos, what are the chances of trading our 2022 1st to GWS for our pick back? They may like a particular player in the 2022 draft. Or we add a player like Sidey or a ruckman like Lynch to the trade. We can then bid on another player at 2 or 3, and still get Daicos.

Maybe wishful thinking, but either way, I wouldn't be surprised if we trade our 2022 1st for another top 8 pick in 2021 once Daicos' bid comes in.
That is unless there is some cracking talent in the 2022 draft

Remove this Banner Ad

Back