Deaths at Dreamworld

Remove this Banner Ad

So your main gripe is that the media is doing its job and informing the public of a tragedy and trying to get them the information that they want to know. And rather than focus on how such a tragedy occurred, which is the very point of reporting it, you prefer to focus on the reporting itself. it's not like the media were rushing on top of the kids of the families who were killed or released the names of the deceased without consent from family members. They still havnt reported one name due probably to lack of consent. They are following standards. But they are also trying to present it in a way that is dramatic because well it is dramatic. And showing this in a dramatic way is what ensures it will stay with the public and those potentially responsible will get the scrutiny that it deserves. And that last part is what is most important so it never happens again. Maybe if the near death accident earlier in the year was given more media attention then management would of been forced to improve safety standards and this incident wouldn't of happened.

Agree, but nah names and pics have been published. One still remains unidentified.

So your main gripe is that the media is doing its job and informing the public of a tragedy and trying to get them the information that they want to know. And rather than focus on how such a tragedy occurred, which is the very point of reporting it, you prefer to focus on the reporting itself. it's not like the media were rushing on top of the kids of the families who were killed or released the names of the deceased without consent from family members. They still havnt reported one name due probably to lack of consent. They are following standards. But they are also trying to present it in a way that is dramatic because well it is dramatic. And showing this in a dramatic way is what ensures it will stay with the public and those potentially responsible will get the scrutiny that it deserves. And that last part is what is most important so it never happens again. Maybe if the near death accident earlier in the year was given more media attention then management would of been forced to improve safety standards and this incident wouldn't of happened.
Good job sticking up for the media, you're part of the problem.

Go take a look at their Twitter feeds, Facebook pages and all that. All wanting to be the first with the scoop, all releasing unconfirmed accounts, interviewing every last person. They're a ******* parasite.

Then they've got helicopters hovering over. ******* dogs the lot of them.

Ambulance chasing campaigners.

Diagram doesn't make sense. The conveyor goes the opposite way to those arrows.
no it doesn't - the conveyor is right at the end of the ride

Christ. Most of us are expressing our sadness, horror and commiserations for the accident. Then you have the people galloping in on their stallions and lambasting us for wanting to be reliably and sensibly informed and talking about it in a respectable manner. And, you know, making a decent discussion without attacking each other.

Termites.

I'm not sure about others but comments like this always bug me. From a click bait website's article:

Detailing the horrific scene during a media conference at the theme park this morning, Queensland’s assistant police commissioner Brian Codd said it was “almost a miracle” that the children had survived.

“In terms of how they escaped, maybe through the providence of God or somebody,” he said.

“It seems from what I’ve seen, almost a miracle that anybody came out of that. If we’re going to be thankful for anything, I’m thankful for that.”

This is a tragic accident but can we please not have public officials bring up divinity or anything religious. Four people died FFS so let's not attribute the only positive that two survived to the Almighty (who I personally believe doesn't exist). Don't won't to turn this into an argument on the existence of God either.

I'm not sure about others but comments like this always bug me. From a click bait website's article:

Detailing the horrific scene during a media conference at the theme park this morning, Queensland’s assistant police commissioner Brian Codd said it was “almost a miracle” that the children had survived.

“In terms of how they escaped, maybe through the providence of God or somebody,” he said.

“It seems from what I’ve seen, almost a miracle that anybody came out of that. If we’re going to be thankful for anything, I’m thankful for that.”

This is a tragic accident but can we please not have public officials bring up divinity or anything religious. Four people died FFS so let's not attribute the only positive that two survived to the Almighty (who I personally believe doesn't exist). Don't won't to turn this into an argument on the existence of God either.

Calm down son

Well you kind of already have actually.

Good job sticking up for the media, you're part of the problem.

Go take a look at their Twitter feeds, Facebook pages and all that. All wanting to be the first with the scoop, all releasing unconfirmed accounts, interviewing every last person. They're a ******* parasite.

Then they've got helicopters hovering over. ******* dogs the lot of them.

Ambulance chasing campaigners.
This use of the word 'mincing' is outrageous.

FFS we all understand the likely way it all ended, talking about it in those terms is just so offensive. If you're having a tea with your family and housemate, or down the pub, then that language is sort of acceptable. But if you were in a group at the office or online, "mincing" is pretty offensive. This isn't ******* rotten.com or the YNC.

It's two steps away from A Current Affair.

'Mincing.'

(Log in to remove this ad.)

How many people can sit in that? The DM article says two children were on it but escaped somehow.
I reckon it's happened in a sort of weird slow motion. An empty raft became stuck at the end of the conveyor belt - possibly held there by a bit of trailing rope underneath which was caught in the conveyor. (Like a person getting their shoelace tangled at the top or bottom of an escalator)

The raft with the people on board has then bumped into it at walking pace. With nowhere else to go, it has then tilted up and over backwards onto the conveyor belt. I imagine the rafts bumping against each other a couple of times like dodgem cars and the 2nd raft bouncing up slightly and then tipping.

When it was starting to tip over, the 10 year old and 13 year old girls may have tried to escape or reached out towards people standing on the walkway alongside. They have probably grabbed their hands and whisked them out a second before the raft went over.

It could've been because kid's minds are sharper than adults. They're more 'in the moment' and quicker to react in unpredictable situations. Or maybe they were just lucky to be sitting in the right spot, or had already taken off their seat belts in anticipation of the ride ending.

Last edited:
Any other comparable accidents in a first world amusement park? With 4 deaths? Will this be the end of Dreamworld? I dont think so but it would kill attendance for a while you'd think.

A bit before my time, but there was the Luna Park fire that killed seven people. I was just reading about it for the first time, and you'd hope that Dreamworld will do a better job with their memorial.

A memorial was dedicated in 1995 to the seven victims of the 1979 fire, with a tree planted next to an antique bench decorated with the names of the victims. During the 2003 redevelopment, the tree was removed and the bench lost. Park director Warwick Doughty claimed that the memorial and events had little relevance, although North Sydney mayor Genia McCaffery, among others, disagreed and campaigned for the memorial's reinstatement. In 2004, a plaque listing the names of the victims was placed on an external wall of the Big Top, which was constructed on the site of the Ghost Train. The plaque was to be the centrepiece of a mural painted by former Park Artist Martin Sharp, but this has never been painted.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1979_Sydney_Ghost_Train_fire

Don't express shock or grief, you'll upset a contrarian hipster.
People who open this thread with exactly the same intentions as everyone else and become upset by the news like everyone else, but they react by attacking everyone in the thread. Similar to people who attacking the media for reporting the news they've just consumed.

Such odd behaviour. Acting high and mighty, as though they are are somehow more noble and better than everyone else. When really, it's their weakness, their inability to process the news of a gruesome story without having a mini-meltdown and lashing out.

A bit before my time, but there was the Luna Park fire that killed seven people. I was just reading about it for the first time, and you'd hope that Dreamworld will do a better job with their memorial.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1979_Sydney_Ghost_Train_fire

You could understand a theme park not wanting to put up a memorial as it would put off a lot of visitors.

You wouldn't be too keen on going on a ride if there was a memorial there mentioning that people had died on that ride.

What a load of poppycock.

the media has never reported anything in the hope it never happens again, unless its about something that threatens their power.

You could understand a theme park not wanting to put up a memorial as it would put off a lot of visitors.

You wouldn't be too keen on going on a ride if there was a memorial there mentioning that people had died on that ride.
At the very least you would expect the ride in question will be removed and no similar ride would be built. Even if not forced to do so.

People who open this thread with exactly the same intentions as everyone else and become upset by the news like everyone else, but they react by attacking everyone in the thread. Similar to people who attacking the media for reporting the news they've just consumed.

Such odd behaviour. Acting high and mighty, as though they are are somehow more noble and better than everyone else. When really, it's their weakness, their inability to process the news of a gruesome story without having a mini-meltdown and lashing out.
he has a major inferiority complex, in that he can't feel inferior to his peers.

At the very least you would expect the ride in question will be removed and no similar ride would be built. Even if not forced to do so.

Nobody would go on the ride again even if it were re opened.

I read somewhere where they said the ride would be closed for an investigation and then re-opened next week which surprised me as I cant imagine anyone would want to go on that ride so soon after a tragedy like this.

It'll be extensively renovated or cleared and rebuilt. And that'll be well after the police have stopped looking at it. Maybe mark your calendar for this time next year if you want to ride on it or its replacement.

I read somewhere where they said the ride would be closed for an investigation and then re-opened next week which surprised me as I cant imagine anyone would want to go on that ride so soon after a tragedy like this.

Depends what was wrong with it I guess.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back