Decriminalisation of drugs... your thoughts?

Remove this Banner Ad

This is rubbish in real world terms, and again, I would like to see your source for this claim. I suspect it originates from the courts and is therefore flawed data.

Read what I posted above:

The capability of drug use as a mitigatory factor is the catch 22 scenario.

A recreational user (i.e. the majority) producer/seller who has no real issues with drugs, is benefited by bullshitting in the legal setting that "the drugs made them do it", which of course goes on to falsely create a propaganda feedback loop that feeds the entire disinformation process ad infinitum.

The drug laws have never been a part of the election platform policies of any major political party.

They exist in law by way of the implementation of international treaties that are empowered in section 51 (xxix) of the Australian Constitution Act. This compels such matters by way of federal sovereignty in to domestic state law.

out of interest, which drugs do you want legalised?

All of them

I just can't ever see that happening. We have already seen with tobacco and cocaine the legislative movement trends toward increasing regulation rather than deregulation. Sugar and alcohol will probably follow suit in the coming year if we want to keep our health system operating under the pressures of globalisation. Dope is an example though where the trend is toward legalisation but even as an operator, I can already see cracks in the system.

On a side note, to kill the black market, I would have free drug centres with smorgas board of everything. This would also reduce crime as people won't need to steal to feed their addiction. They would be placed in central Oz where people can chose to check in but can only check out through rehab or a box. This takes desperate people of the street into a safe environment, where they have a clear choice. Obviously this is not designed for the habitual user.

They would be placed in central Oz where people can chose to check in but can only check out through rehab or a box.

A monstrous dystopian proposition.

Addicts would cease to have legal issues if their drug supply was assured.

A monstrous dystopian proposition.

Addicts would cease to have legal issues if their drug supply was assured.

I guess this moves towards the chicken or the egg debate.

but I'd suggest drug abuser have demonstrated over history that they make foolish decisions that mobilise society and force authorities to act. That's why drugs are illegal. Not the other way around.

I guess this moves towards the chicken or the egg debate.

but I'd suggest drug abuser have demonstrated over history that they make foolish decisions that mobilise society and force authorities to act. That's why drugs are illegal. Not the other way around.

You're not thinking this through properly.

Take away the black market and addiction/acquirement issues and the crime related issues will virtually disappear.

This is rubbish in real world terms, and again, I would like to see your source for this claim. I suspect it originates from the courts and is therefore flawed data.

Read what I posted above:

The capability of drug use as a mitigatory factor is the catch 22 scenario.

A recreational user (i.e. the majority) producer/seller who has no real issues with drugs, is benefited by bullshitting in the legal setting that "the drugs made them do it", which of course goes on to falsely create a propaganda feedback loop that feeds the entire disinformation process ad infinitum.

The drug laws have never been a part of the election platform policies of any major political party.

They exist in law by way of the implementation of international treaties that are empowered in section 51 (xxix) of the Australian Constitution Act. This compels such matters by way of federal sovereignty in to domestic state law.
1. It's not and why is it rubbish if it comes from the courts.

2. What wordy bullshit. Offenders have been jailed because of their drug use and it has not been considered a mitigating factor for their offending. In fact it has been considered in the opposite manner. Cousins was a high profile example of this.

3. I don't even know how you can make such a poor reference to the law. Drug crime is predominately and overwhelmingly a state issue in Australia and thus the treaties provision has no relevance to the vast majority of crimes relating to drug use and other drug matters except for matters such as importing/exporting. Hence it is completely unsurprising that no party has made this an issue at a federal level as it is not a matter which they can really legislate on.

Take away the black market and addiction/acquirement issues and the crime related issues will virtually disappear.
Still doesn't account for other crime related matters such as violence as a result of consuming certain drug types.

Hey I'm pro drugs but recognise that most people who think they can handle drugs...can't. The cost of this to society, families and the individuals is evident from road trauma, lost productivity, crime related to feeding the addiction and failing to maintain their family duties.

I personally believe this is not limited to "drugs" but clearly seen with alcohol, medications, sugar and food preservatives.

I definitely see the angle you are looking at it from but you only have to look back in history in places it was legal to see the social issues drugs have. Please refer Singapore and China's history with drugs when they were legal.

The problem with drugs is they are simply too enjoyable. This is especially dangerous for people with no real hope which is 90% of the population. Logically if you are faced with the option of going to work (that you don't enjoy), earn s**t money and only see everyone with everything on tv and then come home to a missus you once loved turn from a beautiful wife to a fat porker who's only interested in the kids etc etc. No wonder drugs are a wonderful option..............but you can't have a society turning to drugs to solve their happiness.

Drugs are great when you use them but drugs are bad when they use you. The time you should realise this transition has occurred is when you crave them.

In regards to the law, no reasonable person is effected by our drug laws. Buy your drugs at home and take them at home. You can chill out with friends or go out but don't be silly enough to drive or take more drugs for the road.

Often, people who promote the legalisation and usage of cannabis as a recreational drug will insist that usage has no ill physical side effects. This is clearly false.

"Nobody has ever died from using pot"

American music performer Nate Dogg, 2001: "Smoke weed everyday". Several years later, suffers a stroke. Some years afterwards, suffers multiple strokes and passes away.

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2017/03/170309142318.htm

Marijuana use associated with increased risk of stroke, heart failure

R.I.P Nate Dogg

Until a spaced out druggie driving a car crashes and kills your sister and her kids.

Good drivers on drugs (inc bath salts and general anesthesia) are marginally safer and just what our busy pedestrian swarmed roads need. Ideally they occupy the space of the 95% people who are sober but somehow got a license. Perhaps these drugged drivers occupying their spot is the reason these sober mishaps have yet to have killed someone.

Good drivers on drugs (inc bath salts and general anesthesia) are marginally safer and just what our busy pedestrian swarmed roads need. Ideally they occupy the space of the 95% people who are sober but somehow got a license. Perhaps these drugged drivers occupying their spot is the reason these sober mishaps have yet to have killed someone.
Wut?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

All of them

Im down with this, we can fully trust the prison chemist in his container lab. But those phama companies with experienced qualified chemists must still spend 100s of millions on trials. People can have whatever they like as long as its not an unapproved drug from a company.

Legalise the lot, and treat them (and alcohol) the same way as tobacco : sold with graphic health warnings, no advertising, etc.
- give some certainty over quality control, key to harm minimisation with some drugs
- remove one of organised crime's biggest earners
- (anecdotal evidence only) some are scared to seek treatment, worrying that doing so opens them up to the cops
- very little evidence exists that uptake would be significantly higher
- police time can be reallocated to things that actually affect people other than the perpetrator

Sure there are dangers, but there is nothing to suggest such a move would be any worse than what we have now.

Legalise the lot, and treat them (and alcohol) the same way as tobacco : sold with graphic health warnings, no advertising, etc.
- give some certainty over quality control, key to harm minimisation with some drugs
- remove one of organised crime's biggest earners
- (anecdotal evidence only) some are scared to seek treatment, worrying that doing so opens them up to the cops
- very little evidence exists that uptake would be significantly higher
- police time can be reallocated to things that actually affect people other than the perpetrator

Sure there are dangers, but there is nothing to suggest such a move would be any worse than what we have now.

I would suggest keep them illegal and tell people to pull their heads in and be discrete. It is illegal to drink on the street in WA but no one gets pulled up having a picnic.

Same should be the case with drugs. Be discrete or bring unnecessary attention.

In regards to convictions, we still have the protections of spent convictions to ensure a "dick head" doesn't end up with a life long record or concern.

Lastly have free drug smorgas boards provided by the health system on remote islands or 600km NE of Kalgoorlie. That way desperate people can get free drugs and leave "only" through rehab (6-12 months as deemed appropriate by health officials).

PS I'm pro drugs

Cannabis should definitely be legal I beleive. Cuts down crime, overdoses, meth use and would make a massive difference in the jails, where we lock up drug users. The amount of criminal records I see with only Pot as the crime is sad. These people end up with massive criminal records and it started with being locked up for weed.

Meth use has dropped by 25% in one of the cannabis legal states in the USA.
Pot should never have been made illegal. In case you don't know why it was made illegal, the USA made pot illegal in order to easily arrest protesters and black people back in the day.
The government couldn't legally move peaceful protesters as it would be against the constitution. The easy solution was by making pot illegal, as nearly all the protesters were hippies and on the devil weed. The law stuck and until now, has not been changed back.

"The Nixon campaign in 1968, and the Nixon White House after that, had two enemies: the antiwar left and black people. You understand what I’m saying? We knew we couldn't make it illegal to be either against the war or black, but by getting the public to associate the hippies with marijuana and blacks with heroin, and then criminalizing both heavily, we could disrupt those communities. We could arrest their leaders, raid their homes, break up their meetings, and vilify them night after night on the evening news. Did we know we were lying about the drugs? Of course we did."

https://www.forbes.com/sites/eriksh...blacks-and-protesters-continues/#1f1863a42c88

Cannabis should definitely be legal I beleive. Cuts down crime, overdoses, meth use and would make a massive difference in the jails, where we lock up drug users. The amount of criminal records I see with only Pot as the crime is sad. These people end up with massive criminal records and it started with being locked up for weed.

Meth use has dropped by 25% in one of the cannabis legal states in the USA.
Pot should never have been made illegal. In case you don't know why it was made illegal, the USA made pot illegal in order to easily arrest protesters and black people back in the day.
The government couldn't legally move peaceful protesters as it would be against the constitution. The easy solution was by making pot illegal, as nearly all the protesters were hippies and on the devil weed. The law stuck and until now, has not been changed back.

"The Nixon campaign in 1968, and the Nixon White House after that, had two enemies: the antiwar left and black people. You understand what I’m saying? We knew we couldn't make it illegal to be either against the war or black, but by getting the public to associate the hippies with marijuana and blacks with heroin, and then criminalizing both heavily, we could disrupt those communities. We could arrest their leaders, raid their homes, break up their meetings, and vilify them night after night on the evening news. Did we know we were lying about the drugs? Of course we did."

https://www.forbes.com/sites/eriksh...blacks-and-protesters-continues/#1f1863a42c88

Based on what I'm hearing, it will never be legalised here in Oz

We'll just have to see but I personally don't see us flourishing and becoming leaders in the medicinal cannabis industry in the foreseeable future when we're so far behind, not just in regards to medicinal cannabis per se but cannabis in general. Lots of people (politicians) have accepted it for what it is but I feel many attitudes are still stained due to the war on drugs.

We'll just have to see but I personally don't see us flourishing and becoming leaders in the medicinal cannabis industry in the foreseeable future when we're so far behind, not just in regards to medicinal cannabis per se but cannabis in general. Lots of people (politicians) have accepted it for what it is but I feel many attitudes are still stained due to the war on drugs.

we simply don't have the critical mass, the right tax regime, the right regulations or the right R&D. We will go as far as oils and novel devices such as a nasal spray but that's it.

In the long term we will simply import and perhaps have the value add of putting it in a bottle and labelling it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back