Decriminalisation of drugs... your thoughts?

Remove this Banner Ad

And....

I am just trying to drill into the logic. We review alcohol; realise it causes harm, and then what? Ban it?
I think free humans should be able to do what they want but I can see how increasing the age for purchasing alcohol will have a societal and individual benefit.

Given that our society has the responsibility to care for the medical and living needs of it's people then it's worth having the conversation of giving the developing people within it the best chance at a long, uncapped, productive life.

I don't think a free for all and a state paid health system are congruent to a long future, but I also don't want good people to be denied doing something they enjoy because it may have future health implications that the government (and by extension everyone) is on the hook to pay to care for.

Which evidence?

Portugal and Switzerland. Portugal had an epidemic and they decriminalized it all (as opposed to legalizing which means it can be bought over the counter and taxed) and they put in welfare programs and now their rates of everything are down. For example overdoses per !M deaths are 3, compared to the EU average of 17 or so.

Switzerland did the same with heroin and had the same results.

Portugal and Switzerland. Portugal had an epidemic and they decriminalized it all (as opposed to legalizing which means it can be bought over the counter and taxed) and they put in welfare programs and now their rates of everything are down. For example overdoses per !M deaths are 3, compared to the EU average of 17 or so.

Switzerland did the same with heroin and had the same results.
How did they measure total use within the population before and after?

How did they measure total use within the population before and after?

There's a ton of articles out there. It's no secret the success they've had. As for how they measure these things I've never actually looked into it that hard to be honest.

Here's an article on Switzerland

"But the studies also show that, despite the higher cost, the expenditure is more than compensated by ‘significant savings to society’, including less spent on criminal procedures and imprisonment. The EMCDDA notes that ‘If an analysis of cost utility takes into account all relevant parameters, especially related to criminal behaviour, [HAT] saves money"

Here's some info on Portugal

"Since Portugal ceased criminalizing drug use, the results have been dramatic.1 The number of people voluntarily entering treatment has increased significantly, while overdose deaths, HIV infections, problematic drug use, and incarceration for drug-related offenses have plummeted."

I think free humans should be able to do what they want but I can see how increasing the age for purchasing alcohol will have a societal and individual benefit.

Given that our society has the responsibility to care for the medical and living needs of it's people then it's worth having the conversation of giving the developing people within it the best chance at a long, uncapped, productive life.

I don't think a free for all and a state paid health system are congruent to a long future, but I also don't want good people to be denied doing something they enjoy because it may have future health implications that the government (and by extension everyone) is on the hook to pay to care for.
Well balanced logic and reasoning :thumbsu:

In saying that, banning things never works and it can actually lead to increased harm for both society and the individual.

On your last paragraph, say if we use the cost of health care (that everyone is on the hook for) as a key metric on denying people something they enjoy then surely refined sugar is the priority.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That's so s**t I can only assume that Scott Morrison must be doing a bit of moonlighting with the South Dakotan government.
It's the worse effort I've seen since Pen Island registered a domain name

Should happen and here’s why:

- It’s safer. If sold in chemists people will actually know what they’re taking.
- People can get it if they want it anyway, if it’s legal it won’t suddenly mean more people do it.
- People don’t become addicted by simply taking it. They become addicted cause they have personal issues and it’s an escape.
- It will put gangs/cartel out of business
- It will free up the police to do other things
- If sold in chemists, it can be taxed so the government can make more money
- It will free up money to spend on the treatment of drug addicts

It makes sense to legalise it. A very different approach.
But won't ever happen here, due to the government continually legislating for stupidity within the human population.

You can't even get a panadine, because idiots addicted to tiny amounts of coedine end up with paracetamol toxicity

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

It makes sense to legalise it. A very different approach.
But won't ever happen here, due to the government continually legislating for stupidity within the human population.

You can't even get a panadine, because idiots addicted to tiny amounts of coedine end up with paracetamol toxicity

Only have to look at NSW and VIC and their complete reluctance to allow pill testing at music festivals to see where they're at. Harm minimisation isn't on their radar, yet prohibition has clearly not worked.

Only have to look at NSW and VIC and their complete reluctance to allow pill testing at music festivals to see where they're at. Harm minimisation isn't on their radar, yet prohibition has clearly not worked.
Id hate to be a young person these days using recreational drugs.

I think it's absolutely extreme police state control when you can punch down a few cones on a Friday night and loose your license on Monday morning

Id hate to be a young person these days using recreational drugs.

I think it's absolutely extreme police state control when you can punch down a few cones on a Friday night and loose your license on Monday morning

Also under-age strip searches are a new fun way for Police to spend their time.

Also under-age strip searches are a new fun way for Police to spend their time.

They just need a law suit against them for sexual assault

Remove this Banner Ad

Back