Decriminalisation of drugs... your thoughts?

suspect footskills

All Australian
Oct 15, 2012
Richmond
AFL Club
Collingwood
I'm not sure if it's just me or if anyone else has a similar outlook but I think it's a disgrace that we haven't reformed our drug laws.

I'm encouraged that pollies have finally allowed for medicinal cannabis in this state, albeit under very strict guidelines but by and large we really need to do more.

The story about x number of my teams players having tested positive to recreational drugs highlited the fact that most people are still brainwashed and have no clue.

I welcome anyone who can explain to me why we should keep the status quo.

Prohibition has never been the answer and never will. People will continue to use drugs regardless so why not have a regulated, safe market with safeguards and oversight?

The tax revenue alone, along with the money saved on policing, customs and incarceration should be reason enough, in itself to at least consider the idea. Ask any economist.

Chances are you probably work with, are friends with or have family who are drug dependent, illicit or prescribed. The war on drugs was lost the moment it began.

What do you think?

Aug 11, 2006
Perth
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Timberwolves, Crystal Palace
Really depends on what drugs

Weed? Ecstasy? go ahead. Ecstasy has killed people but i feel a lot of this is idiots not understanding the drug, High dosages ect. Weed has never and will not kill anybody. Long term Psychosis is an issue but so is cirrhosis from the dude who loves his cheeseburgers and dare ice coffee.

Ice? needs to be treated strictly as a mental illness and give people the most chances to help them before we start locking them up in prison. It's still hugely not understood by the public how destructive the comedowns can be and the effect it has on peoples minds during benders.

suspect footskills

All Australian
Oct 15, 2012
Richmond
AFL Club
Collingwood
Really depends on what drugs

Weed? Ecstasy? go ahead. Ecstasy has killed people but i feel a lot of this is idiots not understanding the drug, High dosages ect. Weed has never and will not kill anybody. Long term Psychosis is an issue but so is cirrhosis from the dude who loves his cheeseburgers and dare ice coffee.

Ice? needs to be treated strictly as a mental illness and give people the most chances to help them before we start locking them up in prison. It's still hugely not understood by the public how destructive the comedowns can be and the effect it has on peoples minds during benders.

I'd assume that a lot of the ecstasy overdoses would be the byproduct of poor chemistry more than anything. Poor synthesis and unknown cutting agents are always a risk. Neurotoxicity is another worry.

So far there have been no upward spikes in drug use in the countries with decriminalisation models in place. If we could just get the problem under control, that'd be a start. Creating opportunities for black market profiteering does us no good and only benefits a shady few.

Regarding cannabis... never should have been outlawed to begin with. As far as harder drugs go though I think it's irresponsible to continue down this path. If lawmakers decriminalise and the government steps in and regulates the market it's a win-win. Simultaneously continue with sentences for traffickers outside that framework and the drug trade as we know it will die.

Last edited:

M Malice

Hall of Famer
Aug 31, 2015
By the Gabba.
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Valleys. Chelsea.
I'm not sure if it's just me or if anyone else has a similar outlook but I think it's a disgrace that we haven't reformed our drug laws.

I'm encouraged that pollies have finally allowed for medicinal cannabis in this state, albeit under very strict guidelines but by and large we really need to do more.

The story about x number of my teams players having tested positive to recreational drugs highlited the fact that most people are still brainwashed and have no clue.

Prohibition has never been the answer and never will. People will continue to use drugs regardless so why not have a regulated, safe market with safeguards and oversight?

The tax revenue alone, along with the money saved on policing, customs and incarceration should be reason enough, in itself to at least consider the idea. Ask any economist.

Chances are you probably work with, are friends with or have family who are drug dependent, illicit or prescribed. The war on drugs was lost the moment it began.

What do you think?
hi suspect footskills, thought you may be interested. i started this thread early in the year, went for a few months and some good arguments for and against on each side of the discussion.

https://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/recreational-drugs-decriminalize-or-not.1122541/

Jul 3, 2009
tigerland
AFL Club
Richmond
I'm actually split on this. I'm not anti-drug. But drug legalisation has to equal more people using. Maybe not straight away, as there would still be a stigma attached to it for some, but years down the track it would have to increase. Too much of anything is bad, which is an issue, as you'd probably have more people having addictions.

But at the same time, Alcohol is a dangerous drug in itself, and if it became illegal I'd probably become a beer baron ala homer simpson. And I've always thought if you're not harming anyone else why does it matter, and a lot of people are able to experiment with drugs in moderation without harming themselves or others.

suspect footskills

All Australian
Oct 15, 2012
Richmond
AFL Club
Collingwood
hi suspect footskills, thought you may be interested. i started this thread early in the year, went for a few months and some good arguments for and against on each side of the discussion.

https://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/recreational-drugs-decriminalize-or-not.1122541/

Perhaps we merge? Not sure there are many, if any, good arguments against decriminalisation. Just my outlook of course, not taking a dig.

Seriously though, I highly doubt that history will view the war on drugs as anything other than an unmitigated disaster that went on far too long.

It's been decades now and we've been fed propaganda from primary school up. It's hard to change when opinions have been shaped to suit a certain agenda for that long. People fear stepping out of line.

I remember the teachers using the words n#@@a and f#gg@t fairly freely in the 80's. Now, that'd be grounds for sacking. Things can change quickly.

We're going to have to clean up this mess at sometime. I think it should be top of the agenda. In terms of suffering, lives lost, and prolonged misery this is bigger than any issue. There's nobody lobbying for the lost though so we turn the other cheek.

How can any government claim to be responsible and representative whilst waging a war on it's own people? A war with no clear objectives? There can't be order so long as our laws open the door for major criminal enterprise.

Last edited:

suspect footskills

All Australian
Oct 15, 2012
Richmond
AFL Club
Collingwood
Leave the system as it is. Why deprive me of my only opportunity to mix with criminals

They'll diversify, don't worry. The loot from these past few decades will keep them afloat for a fair while I'd imagine.

There's always political fundraising events if your shady side is growing lonely.

CLUBMEDhurst

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 23, 2008
Under the moonlight, the serious moonlight
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Man City
They'll diversify, don't worry. The loot from these past few decades will keep them afloat for a fair while I'd imagine.

There's always political fundraising events if your shady side is growing lonely.

Settle down. I only stoop so far

I don't much care about other drugs, my poison of choice is weed, and the main reason I'd like to see it legalised is to know the provenance of the product, and that it hasn't been grown in some sucker's spare room because he get into debt,and was faced with doing that, or getting a kicking. Plus it would mean I wouldn't have to travel across town to purchase a few beneficial herbs.

suspect footskills

All Australian
Oct 15, 2012
Richmond
AFL Club
Collingwood
I don't much care about other drugs, my poison of choice is weed, and the main reason I'd like to see it legalised is to know the provenance of the product, and that it hasn't been grown in some sucker's spare room because he get into debt,and was faced with doing that, or getting a kicking. Plus it would mean I wouldn't have to travel across town to purchase a few beneficial herbs.

I stopped smoking anything other than what mates have passed on, which isn't much. Most growers wouldn't even know the strain they're growing and they sure as f#ck don't know how to grow. Loaded with plant growth regulators and chemical salts, it's filthy rubbish for the mostpart nowadays.

M Malice

Hall of Famer
Aug 31, 2015
By the Gabba.
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Valleys. Chelsea.
Perhaps we merge? Not sure there are many, if any, good arguments against decriminalisation. Just my outlook of course, not taking a dig.

Seriously though, I highly doubt that history will view the war on drugs as anything other than an unmitigated disaster that went on far too long.

It's been decades now and we've been fed propaganda from primary school up. It's hard to change when opinions have been shaped to suit a certain agenda for that long. People fear stepping out of line.

I remember the teachers using the words n#@@a and f#gg@t fairly freely in the 80's. Now, that'd be grounds for sacking. Things can change quickly.

We're going to have to clean up this mess at sometime. I think it should be top of the agenda. In terms of suffering, lives lost, and prolonged misery this is bigger than any issue. There's nobody lobbying for the lost though so we turn the other cheek.

How can any government claim to be responsible and representative whilst waging a war on it's own people? A war with no clear objectives? There can't be order so long as our laws open the door for major criminal enterprise.
couldn't agree more. i am not a consumer of legal (used to be) or illegal (once) drugs any more but i can see the "war on drugs" is ridiculous. i put plenty of my more detailed thoughts in the other thread.
if the mods wanted to merge no problems, i don't get emotionally attached to my threads:)

Oct 7, 2003
Lubyanka Square
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Red Devil Sport Club
As far as harder drugs go though I think it's irresponsible to continue down this path. If lawmakers decriminalise and the government steps in and regulates the market it's a win-win.
Right up until someone sues the government after being the victim of someone on govt meth

suspect footskills

All Australian
Oct 15, 2012
Richmond
AFL Club
Collingwood
couldn't agree more. i am not a consumer of legal (used to be) or illegal (once) drugs any more but i can see the "war on drugs" is ridiculous. i put plenty of my more detailed thoughts in the other thread.
if the mods wanted to merge no problems, i don't get emotionally attached to my threads:)

Happy to keep the discussion going and I'm fine with a merge. You're doing the same thing I'm trying to do so it's all good. I don't understand how we let things get this far. The world won't descend into anarchy if we change our laws. It's a hard sell but we owe it to our kids to clean up the mess and not just pass the buck to them.

suspect footskills

All Australian
Oct 15, 2012
Richmond
AFL Club
Collingwood
Right up until someone sues the government after being the victim of someone on govt meth

Actually it'd make more sense to sue the government for ineptitude. Prohibition spawned the drug trade as we see it today. I would prefer the pharmacy but if you're all for the cause that's fine, vote to keep it on the streets.

What do you think?
I agree whole heartedly.
Drug dependence should be solely a medical issue with clean drugs supplied in clinical environment with-in the current health system to addicts..
All drug use should be decriminalised.

Import of and/or sale of illicit drugs deemed harmful enough, including cigarettes if need be, should carry a mandatory life sentence.

Put the emphasis on the dealer only.

Lebbo73

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 20, 2014
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Liverpool
Until a spaced out druggie driving a car crashes and kills your sister and her kids.
Whether it is decriminalised or not, these things are happening already. Making it legal will not increase these incidences!

Jul 20, 2001
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Sydney Swans
I stopped smoking anything other than what mates have passed on, which isn't much. Most growers wouldn't even know the strain they're growing and they sure as f#ck don't know how to grow. Loaded with plant growth regulators and chemical salts, it's filthy rubbish for the mostpart nowadays.
I'm lucky I have had a "guy" who knows exactly which strain he is growing and puts a lot of time in. Only does it for a couple of us to have a smoke.

It's great, I would deadset become a "connoisseur" if it were decriminalised / legalised.

As it is I rarely ever drink alcohol and certainly not my first choice.

Back