Decriminalisation of drugs... your thoughts?

So we should make alcohol illegal?

I can see alcohol going down a similar path to cigarettes over the next 40 years. Cigarettes pressure came on in the 1980s and at its current trajectory will be illegal in another 30-50 years. If alcohol follows a similar journey, it will be illegal around the next century.

Well, considering how well Prohibition went in the US, and the fact that the War on Drugs has proved to be completely unwinnable, maybe in another 30-50 years we'll have realised just how pointless banning these sorts of things is.

Well, considering how well Prohibition went in the US, and the fact that the War on Drugs has proved to be completely unwinnable, maybe in another 30-50 years we'll have realised just how pointless banning these sorts of things is.

I agree

but the difference will be big brother technology and the calls for bigger and bigger government.

It would save millions of dollars and reduce the prison population by 2/3rds.
The other side of the coin is creating new industries without restriction.
Hemp is a magnificent crop for paper and fibre production, and uses far less water than cotton. Secondary industries would benefit too e.g. paper production from hemp would competitive as right now we export plantation woodchip to Japan for a pittance then buy back paper for a hugely inflated FOB price.

Contra Mundum

To Know Nothing is the Happiest Life
10k Posts
Aug 1, 2002
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
NMFC
The other side of the coin is creating new industries without restriction.
Hemp is a magnificent crop for paper and fibre production, and uses far less water than cotton. Secondary industries would benefit too e.g. paper production from hemp would competitive as right now we export plantation woodchip to Japan for a pittance then buy back paper for a hugely inflated FOB price.

Seems like a total no brainer to me!

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Johnny Bananas

Premiership Player Hater
Sep 10, 2010
Next door
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Decriminalise every drug. And I mean every drug. I want nothing to do with ice or anyone who uses it, but I don't think locking them up is going to do anything to stop what is essentially a health problem, as outlined very well by Johan Hari in his TED talk. Unless they committed crimes other than possession or trafficking, of course. No tolerance for drug driving or drug violence.

This isn't sufficient of course, there needs to be a huge increase in mental health support services, unemployment support services and general community services to ensure that people have the support they need to find alternatives to drug abuse for escaping their problems.

Last edited:

Opts

Club Legend
Aug 18, 2017
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Brisbane Lions
People keep saying that we lost the war on drugs. The truth is that there has NEVER been a war on drugs.

I spent 1.5 decades acting as an informant against drug traffickers. The Leftist magistrates and judges never enforced the law, that was the problem. The worst magistrates and judges were those during the Rob Hull era.

One example off the top of my head was a guy on welfare that had $5m street value of cannabis and amphetamines in his house as well as numerous firearms. He'd been doing it for years and owned property worth tens of millions. He only got four years and was back on the streets trafficking as soon as he was released. Why wouldn't he?

There were dozens of other incidents where crooks caught with traffickable quantities received good behaviour bonds and even escaped conviction. This isn't good enough.

I can see the benefits of the decriminalisation of some drugs but not until we've exhausted the avenue of having an actual war.

Opts

Club Legend
Aug 18, 2017
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Brisbane Lions
I can see alcohol going down a similar path to cigarettes over the next 40 years. Cigarettes pressure came on in the 1980s and at its current trajectory will be illegal in another 30-50 years. If alcohol follows a similar journey, it will be illegal around the next century.
You might be right. Tobacco and alcohol will be illegal, yet all other drugs will be legal. Go figure.

RobbieK

Cancelled
Aug 20, 2009
AFL Club
Sydney
People keep saying that we lost the war on drugs. The truth is that there has NEVER been a war on drugs.

I spent 1.5 decades acting as an informant against drug traffickers. The Leftist magistrates and judges never enforced the law, that was the problem. The worst magistrates and judges were those during the Rob Hull era.

One example off the top of my head was a guy on welfare that had $5m street value of cannabis and amphetamines in his house as well as numerous firearms. He'd been doing it for years and owned property worth tens of millions. He only got four years and was back on the streets trafficking as soon as he was released. Why wouldn't he?

There were dozens of other incidents where crooks caught with traffickable quantities received good behaviour bonds and even escaped conviction. This isn't good enough.

I can see the benefits of the decriminalisation of some drugs but not until we've exhausted the avenue of having an actual war.

The war on drugs has been incredibly stupid, but thinking that that war would be won if only it was fought harder is even more stupid.

In Australia drug offences are the second highest reason for incarceration, narrowly behind only violent offences, representing around 20% of the prison population. About 2/3 of those in prison on drug offences were only charged with possession or use.

Compare that to the US, where their policies have led to almost half of their prison population being in for drug offences.

Things are a lot better over there, yeah?

Jun 19, 2011
MCG
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Decriminalise every drug. And I mean every drug. I want nothing to do with ice or anyone who uses it, but I don't think locking them up is going to do anything to stop what is essentially a health problem, as outlined very well by Johan Hari in his TED talk. Unless they committed crimes other than possession or trafficking, of course. No tolerance for drug driving or drug violence.

This isn't sufficient of course, there needs to be a huge increase in mental health support services, unemployment support services and general community services to ensure that people have the support they need to find alternatives to drug abuse for escaping their problems.
I thought ice had no health treatment options. Does it?

The war on drugs has been incredibly stupid, but thinking that that war would be won if only it was fought harder is even more stupid.

In Australia drug offences are the second highest reason for incarceration, narrowly behind only violent offences, representing around 20% of the prison population. About 2/3 of those in prison on drug offences were only charged with possession or use.

Compare that to the US, where their policies have led to almost half of their prison population being in for drug offences.

Things are a lot better over there, yeah?
The war on drugs annoys more that anything for it's origins, Ehrlichman fessed up years ago that it was a ruse for Nixon to go after his enemies and nearly fifty years later with everything we know about the man we're still slavishly following his lead.

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club

The REAL problem is people who hear & read this crap, then carry on like they are some authority on the matter. They aren't.

Do you want REAL education? Here it is:

Here is a very good history analysis of amphetamines:

Dr Carl Hart:

Last edited:

Johnny Bananas

Premiership Player Hater
Sep 10, 2010
Next door
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
All of them have treatment options. Addictions are mental diseases that in general can be beaten through a combination of abstinence and building a support network to reduce the need to reach for drugs as an escape. Check out Johan Hari's TED talk on drugs.

Opts

Club Legend
Aug 18, 2017
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Brisbane Lions
How do you morally justify behaving like this?
Clearly you have no idea what an informant is. An informant is the main cop who charges someone.

To say that the other type of informant is bad means that you like drug traffickers. Which side are you on?

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
Clearly you have no idea what an informant is. An informant is the main cop who charges someone.

Your perceptive capabilities are atrocious. If you get me started on this, I will show you up badly.

Did you know that the man in your avatar was a heavy Adderall (amphetamine) user?

To say that the other type of informant is bad means that you like drug traffickers. Which side are you on?

If it's a choice between you (as a police informant) or the drug dealer, then I am with the drug dealer.

You have dedicated a significant portion of your very blinkered life to engaging in an act of massive social vandalism, on behalf of political interests and against the people. I only hope that the remaining years of your life bring you the wisdom to see the error of your ways, and a more compassionate understanding.

Last edited:
Back