Decriminalisation of drugs... your thoughts?

Opts

Club Legend
Aug 18, 2017
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Brisbane Lions
Your perceptive capabilities are atrocious. If you get me started on this, I will show you up badly.

Did you know that the man in your avatar was a heavy Adderall (amphetamine) user?

If it's a choice between you (as a police informant) or the drug dealer, then I am with the drug dealer.

You have dedicated a significant portion of your very blinkered life to engaging in an act of massive social vandalism, on behalf of political interests and against the people. I only hope that the remaining years of your life bring you the wisdom to see the error of your ways, and a more compassionate understanding.
Wow, just so twisted. Wow!

Or just legalise all the drugs that are responsible for people ending up in prison and put the money used on incarceration and policing in education programs

Work camps an excellent form of re-education

The war on drugs is over.

Drugs won.

In fact drugs won the second we apes pretending to be angels first fell down from the trees and drank fermented fruit.

Best decriminalise, tax and treat those who cannot use them in moderation.

How do you treat them without legal authority?

That’s why a criminal system is involved to provide the legal power to intervene.

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
How do you treat them without legal authority?

That’s why a criminal system is involved to provide the legal power to intervene.

Really? How do you treat chicken pox? With policemen and jails?

JW Frogen

Premiership Player
Nov 29, 2004
Australia
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Collingwood
Indeed, with addicts, they cannot really be treated unless they want to be, that is just the way breaking addiction works.

They will at some point hit rock bottom and want to be treated or they will die.

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
Indeed, with addicts, they cannot really be treated unless they want to be, that is just the way breaking addiction works.

They will at some point hit rock bottom and want to be treated or they will die.

Deep.

1) Treatment engages the patient with the causes & patterns that led to addiction --> increased self awareness -->pathway to overcoming addiction.
2) Health management of addictions, rather than legal management, can remove the majority of issues related to the patient and society.

I dont mean education solely for existing drug addicts, i am referring to ongoing education that gives factual information regarding different drugs, that is easily accessible and starts at school age
Just Say No worked so well for us, s*** Nancy Reagan made me want to smoke crack. You're spot on, it has to be education.

CheapCharlie

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 12, 2015
AFL Club
Sydney
Not at all, you have to give kids credit for having a bit upstairs and just telling them to say no without also explaining why was patronising in the extreme.

Pretty weird trying to link a Nancy Reagan just say No campaign with education

The Reagan campaign was political puffery; propaganda for the masses.

Education gives people information and facts and opens up debate as to pros and cons.

An issue now is the information given to younger people tends to nearly always skew to demonising drug use and the sky will fall in. Clearly it hasn't worked and wont work, where putting money into education of side effects, safe drugs, how to use, how to avoid, would be a much better use of dollars

Really? How do you treat chicken pox? With policemen and jails?

Good analogy Snake.

The answer in history and now for serious disease and risky activities is yes.

We have legal input into medical practices, immunisation, motor bike helmets, seat belts, travelling with a fever and mandatory isolation for plague type diseases.

You failed to understand though that the police and jails don’t cure any of the other examples either, rather they are just a front line tool to start a process which may include judges, medical practitioners, psychologists and other experts.

I’m pro people enjoying drugs but pro keeping them illegal. Hey even taking or supplying medicine without a prescriptions illegal. The only people impacted by the law is the reckless, the stupid and those too drug fkd to care. These are the exact people who shouldn’t be taking them.

Your response implies that drug usage of any type is wrong and people should be punished for using them

For severe drug abuse like Ben Cousins, there is no solution other than complete isolation work camps.

Work is not punishment but something rewarding and healthy for all individuals.

Camps refers to the isolation component.

No doubt people conjure images of Jews or Siberia when they hear work camps. Where sunshine, physical and mental stimulation. Working in teams, community, support all away from the access from drugs. Breaking cycles is the key.

JW Frogen

Premiership Player
Nov 29, 2004
Australia
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Collingwood
Deep.

1) Treatment engages the patient with the causes & patterns that led to addiction --> increased self awareness -->pathway to overcoming addiction.
2) Health management of addictions, rather than legal management, can remove the majority of issues related to the patient and society.

I agree Snakey, but my point was law cannot enforce treatment, the addict has to know they have a problem and want to be treated in the first place.

One more reason for decriminalisation.

Jun 19, 2011
MCG
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Pretty weird trying to link a Nancy Reagan just say No campaign with education

The Reagan campaign was political puffery; propaganda for the masses.

Education gives people information and facts and opens up debate as to pros and cons.

An issue now is the information given to younger people tends to nearly always skew to demonising drug use and the sky will fall in. Clearly it hasn't worked and wont work, where putting money into education of side effects, safe drugs, how to use, how to avoid, would be a much better use of dollars
Most Victorian schools run Drug Ed as Harm Minimisation programs and have for many years.

JW Frogen

Premiership Player
Nov 29, 2004
Australia
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Collingwood
Alcohol kills by far more people than any other drug.

We do not ban it because we know prohibition does not work.

And because it is better to tax it then let Al Capone tax it.

People want to get high, feel good, forget life for awhile.

And a percentage of them will get addicted.

The War on Drugs is over, drugs won.

They won from the start, because humans have and always will indulge in them for many reasons.

Alcohol kills by far more people than any other drug.

We do not ban it because we know prohibition does not work.

And because it is better to tax it then let Al Capone tax it.

People want to get high, feel good, forget life for awhile.

And a percentage of them will get addicted.

The War on Drugs is over, drugs won.

They won from the start, because humans have and always will indulge in them for many reasons.

If we wanted to win a war on drugs, we would simply have mandatory testing and execute users.

So perhaps there was never really a war on drugs.

Should medical companies be able to sell drugs without testing?

Should medical companies have NO liability for health issues created by their drugs?

Should doctors have NO liability for their service or the drugs they prescribe?

How do people pro drugs see the legal recourse and liability working for drugs and drug dealers? Knowing the health issues of alcohol and what has happened to cigarette companies, how can it possibly work for drugs?

Back