Decriminalisation of drugs... your thoughts?

Remove this Banner Ad

RobbieK

Cancelled
Aug 20, 2009
AFL Club
Sydney
Should medical companies be able to sell drugs without testing?

Should medical companies have NO liability for health issues created by their drugs?

Should doctors have NO liability for their service or the drugs they prescribe?

How do people pro drugs see the legal recourse and liability working for drugs and drug dealers? Knowing the health issues of alcohol and what has happened to cigarette companies, how can it possibly work for drugs?

Seriously?

The legalisation and decriminalisation of drugs doesn't mean turning a blind eye to bikies cooking up meth in bathtubs.

Just as there are a whole host of laws regulating who is able to produce and sell alcohol, cigarettes or other pharmaceuticals, those laws get expanded to cover a wider range of substances. Business will need to obtain permits, meet certain standards, test their products etc. and would certainly be held liable for the quality of products and services they provide. With legitmate sources of high standard drugs, the need for illegal sources of lesser quality drugs disappears.

You end up with people getting their drugs from places like this:

recreational-dispensary-boulder-mall-1024x435.jpg

Rather than this:

A4AW1D_2152857b.jpg

In short legalisation and decriminalisation leaves us with much better, safer products being distributed through much better, safer distribution channels, removing a lot of the violence associated with the drug trade at the same time, and all the while the government profits from the trade by way of excises. Everyone wins, with the possible exception of criminal drug cartels I suppose.

Last edited:
Sep 23, 2007
Supercoach Hell
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Orlando magic Baltimore Ravens
I dont mean education solely for existing drug addicts, i am referring to ongoing education that gives factual information regarding different drugs, that is easily accessible and starts at school age
Theres education happening, but its more at a University level then high schools.
I work for a company that gives Drug and Alcohol education sessions, but we're mainly booked into Uni's, the fact is Secondary Schools aren't willing to pay for them.

Seriously?

The legalisation and decriminalisation of drugs doesn't mean turning a blind eye to bikies cooking up meth in bathtubs.

Just as there are a whole host of laws regulating who is able to produce and sell alcohol, cigarettes or other pharmaceuticals, those laws get expanded to cover a wider range of substances. Business will need to obtain permits, meet certain standards, test their products etc. and would certainly be held liable for the quality of products and services they provide. With legitmate sources of high standard drugs, the need for illegal sources of lesser quality drugs disappears.

You end up with people getting their drugs from places like this:

recreational-dispensary-boulder-mall-1024x435.jpg

Rather than this:

A4AW1D_2152857b.jpg

In short legalisation and decriminalisation leaves us with much better, safer products being distributed through much better, safer distribution channels, removing a lot of the violence associated with the drug trade at the same time, and all the while the government profits from the trade by way of excises. Everyone wins, with the possible exception of criminal drug cartels I suppose.

You’ve jumped a step in the decision tree path.

The reason why they are banned isn’t because they are fun, rather proven to have health issues.

We all acknowledge alcohol and cigarettes wouldn’t be legal if introduced today and will be phased out through a variety of mechanisms. So to compare drugs to alcohol and cigarettes is a debate 70 years too late.

JW Frogen

Premiership Player
Nov 29, 2004
Australia
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Collingwood
If we wanted to win a war on drugs, we would simply have mandatory testing and execute users.

So perhaps there was never really a war on drugs.

I lived in Saudi Arabia for a time, that is their theory, and anyone who has ever seen them up in First Class knows how they hit the drinks cart before the plane even leaves the tarmac.

And do not get me started about what perverts they are too.

Ban anything and you turn it into gold.

Jun 19, 2011
MCG
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Theres education happening, but its more at a University level then high schools.
I work for a company that gives Drug and Alcohol education sessions, but we're mainly booked into Uni's, the fact is Secondary Schools aren't willing to pay for them.
I'd be astounded if there's even one government school that doesn't run Drug Education programs. All the schools I've worked in run it from a Harm min perspective.

The reason why they are banned isn’t because they are fun, rather proven to have health issues.

We all acknowledge alcohol and cigarettes wouldn’t be legal if introduced today and will be phased out through a variety of mechanisms. So to compare drugs to alcohol and cigarettes is a debate 70 years too late.
Mushrooms are proven to have health issues?

Love them

One of the safest and probably only a risk for those with underlying issues already
I've seen material that puts them as the safest.
Micro-dosing LSD is all the rage in the tech industry as well.

Sep 23, 2007
Supercoach Hell
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Geez, what a-hole principals to actively ignore such an important part of the national curriculum. Any idea why they made that choice for their schools?
Many schools don't want to/cant afford it, especially public schools in rural areas. Many fear backlash from parents just by mentioning the words Illicit drugs in schools. Many just don't see it as an integral part of the curriculum.

It always s**t me that i learned rubbish like Pythagoras and Trigonometry and crap i've never used again, but no one actually came in and told us exactly whats going into most ecstasy tablets in Australia or whats thrown together in Cocaine in Australia, boggles my mind.
Thats what our company does, we're not a "Dont do drugs, drugs are bad" Its more of a "Ok, the standard of Drugs in Australia are amongst the worst in the world, this is whats going into the manufacturing of them, comparatively your paying more for the s**t quality in Australia etc etc. Do what you want but do your due diligence.

Many schools don't want to/cant afford it, especially public schools in rural areas. Many fear backlash from parents just by mentioning the words Illicit drugs in schools. Many just don't see it as an integral part of the curriculum.

It always s**t me that i learned rubbish like Pythagoras and Trigonometry and crap i've never used again, but no one actually came in and told us exactly whats going into most ecstasy tablets in Australia or whats thrown together in Cocaine in Australia, boggles my mind.
Thats what our company does, we're not a "Dont do drugs, drugs are bad" Its more of a "Ok, the standard of Drugs in Australia are amongst the worst in the world, this is whats going into the manufacturing of them, comparatively your paying more for the s**t quality in Australia etc etc. Do what you want but do your due diligence.
We always got told precisely why smoking was bad for you but never why drugs where bad and what they could do, it was as I said, just say no. I've always suspected this was because by telling us what they could do they might have made it sound like too much fun, as were to later discover.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sep 23, 2007
Supercoach Hell
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
We always got told precisely why smoking was bad for you but never why drugs where bad and what they could do, it was as I said, just say no. I've always suspected this was because by telling us what they could do they might have made it sound like too much fun, as were to later discover.
Its a mixture of this, i mean some drugs aren't necessarily "Bad" but the standard in Australia for the main ones are ridiculously poor, and i largely blame the epidemic when the AlcoPop tax that was introduced. It quickly became ridiculously expensive to go out as a tafe or Uni student and have a "Big Night" its much cheaper to Pop a couple of pills, or do a couple of lines. Again, the problem is, the standard of those drugs in Australia are so poor, it lead to "Double Dropping" or overdosing, because you weren't feeling the effects you think your supposed to, which lead to more medical emergency because your body cant handle the chemicals.
That's where decriminalization is a good argument for some drugs, it will lead to the black market of pills or Coke to cease, and a form of quality control introduced and will then lead to far less emergency situations.

Leeda

Talents B Sharp
Suspended
Sep 26, 2012
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Method in the madness..
The chunk of howling over this is that we want people to be protected and allowed to
be a normal human existence
With help always

Really?

I thought they made it pretty clear of the risks associated with each drug during drug education.

The “just say no was a simplistic slogan”

A fair minded teaching would be “drugs can be great for many but for some, the cost to yourselves, family, friends and society could be great. It’s roulette as to who loses.”

CLUBMEDhurst

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 23, 2008
Under the moonlight, the serious moonlight
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Man City

No true.

The war on drugs has allus been about criminalising racial minorities.

Now we gotta keep the prison industrial complex well fed

Theres plenty in Rural areas that dont touch on it at all

Yeah, I never had a single class about it at school, and I only left year 12 in 2014.

No true.

The war on drugs has allus been about criminalising racial minorities.

Now we gotta keep the prison industrial complex well fed

That’s strange, as the restrictions on drugs globally has been around far longer than events of the US.

Are you also suggesting Chinese are a minority in China?

That’s strange, as the restrictions on drugs globally has been around far longer than events of the US.

I'm a middle-aged, middle class user, 95% of the time a stop and search would find me carrying and I'm never given a second look. They go for kids and easy targets. It's impossible to deny.

I'm a middle-aged, middle class user, 95% of the time a stop and search would find me carrying and I'm never given a second look. They go for kids and easy targets. It's impossible to deny.

Yep. It’s like old school drink driving.

Look responsible, say “hello, officer “yes, sir” “no, sir” and you could drive on despite having 10 under your belt.

That’s why I say the laws only impact the reckless, the stupid or those deserving. Being discrete, polite and thoughtful will save you 99.9% of the time.

CLUBMEDhurst

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 23, 2008
Under the moonlight, the serious moonlight
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Man City

I'm talking criminalisation. Harry Anslinger got the ball rolling in the USA. Those goddamned pesky Messkins and their loco weed

Remove this Banner Ad

Back