Media Deeper Underground Final Report: Excavating the golden handballers of the Sweet FA

Remove this Banner Ad

Over the course of Season 27 I have followed the number of underground handballs by individuals and teams in each game.

Here today, I will publish my findings.

First, here is a plot of the total number of underground handballs each round:
We see a fairly erratic nature in the number of underground handballs each round at the start of the season which became slightly less erratic later. Interestingly, the round with the greatest number of underground handballs was the final round of the home and away season, with 52 handballs across all matches.

We will first look at the totals for each team to see who came out on top!
TeamUnderground Handballs
Baghdad Bombers​
65​
Dragons FFC​
63​
West Coast Wonders​
62​
Coney Island Warriors​
60​
Fighting Furies FFC​
59​
Mount Buller Demons​
59​
Gumbies FFC​
57​
Las Vegas Bears​
51​
Gold City Royals​
49​
Sin City Swamprats​
46​
East Side Hawks​
45​
Roys FFC​
44​

Congrats to the Baghdad Bombers, who were Season 27's most prolific underground handballers! They had a huge charge late in the season to claim the top spot! Below we see a graph of the running total, illustrating just how late the Bombers left their run to claim top spot. Perennial leaders Warriors and Furies dropped off a reasonable amount towards the season's end, allowing both the Bombers and Dragons to overtake them.

NEXT: Individual Stats.

Let's look at our top 10 underground handballers for the season!
PlayerHandballs
11​
9​
9​
DERO
8​
8​
8​
8​
8​
7​
7​
7​
7​

Congrats to candiehappy, who is the outright winner with 11 Underground handballs for the season!

The highest number of underground handballs in a game by an individual was 3! This occurred 7 times! The players to accomplish this were:
Matty411
Matera92
Tigerturbulance
Nunez
Thomas2
Callums_Guns

and mistylake, who only had 3 underground handballs for the season - all in the 1 game in Round 2! Remarkable.

The longest streak on consecutive games with underground handballs was 4, which was accomplished only by candiehappy and haydo!

Thank you all for following along this far. I look forward to entertaining you all next season with tales from the underground.

Hey Loonerty - question without notice. Is there a link between match weather conditions and propensity for underground handballing?
No idea!

You have reminded me that I forgot to include something though.

Hey Loonerty - question without notice. Is there a link between match weather conditions and propensity for underground handballing?
I can field that one: Yes. If it's muddy, you don't underground handballl because it will get stuck.

THE EXTRA THING I FORGOT I DID

If Qooty results were dependent on how many underground handballs you had compared to your opponent, who would have been on top of the ladder at the end of the season?

Well let's take a peek:
BigFooty tables are borked so enjoy this Excel screenshot.

We can see here that the Warriors would be on top of the table!

The most interesting result here, to me, is that the Roys - who had the least total underground handballs of any team - wind up third on the ladder because they also conceded the least by a decent amount!

Congrats Wooshette on your tremendous work training your team in the art of the underground handball.

THE EXTRA THING I FORGOT I DID

If Qooty results were dependent on how many underground handballs you had compared to your opponent, who would have been on top of the ladder at the end of the season?

Well let's take a peek:
View attachment 696341
BigFooty tables are borked so enjoy this Excel screenshot.

We can see here that the Warriors would be on top of the table!

The most interesting result here, to me, is that the Roys - who had the least total underground handballs of any team - wind up third on the ladder because they also conceded the least by a decent amount!

Congrats Wooshette on your tremendous work training your team in the art of the underground handball.
Perennial leaders bought back some painful memories :(
We’ve tried everything else to get that elusive premiership, hopefully this works.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Over the course of Season 27 I have followed the number of underground handballs by individuals and teams in each game.

Here today, I will publish my findings.

First, here is a plot of the total number of underground handballs each round:
View attachment 696189
We see a fairly erratic nature in the number of underground handballs each round at the start of the season which became slightly less erratic later. Interestingly, the round with the greatest number of underground handballs was the final round of the home and away season, with 52 handballs across all matches.

We will first look at the totals for each team to see who came out on top!
TeamUnderground Handballs
Baghdad Bombers​
65​
Dragons FFC​
63​
West Coast Wonders​
62​
Coney Island Warriors​
60​
Fighting Furies FFC​
59​
Mount Buller Demons​
59​
Gumbies FFC​
57​
Las Vegas Bears​
51​
Gold City Royals​
49​
Sin City Swamprats​
46​
East Side Hawks​
45​
Roys FFC​
44​

Congrats to the Baghdad Bombers, who were Season 27's most prolific underground handballers! They had a huge charge late in the season to claim the top spot! Below we see a graph of the running total, illustrating just how late the Bombers left their run to claim top spot. Perennial leaders Warriors and Furies dropped off a reasonable amount towards the season's end, allowing both the Bombers and Dragons to overtake them.

View attachment 696196

NEXT: Individual Stats.
We will be handballing our team sheets.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back