Dees, biggest Flat Track Bullies - ever

Dangerousfield

Premiership Player
Oct 11, 2012
AFL Club
Adelaide
Flat Track bullies is a frequently used term and has in recent years been attached to teams like West Coast and Port.

However, no team has ever earned the tag more than the 2018 Melbourne side, almost unbelievable that they decimate teams from 10th -18th but can't beat a single side 1st - 9th.

Figures courtesy "Matt Mann"

W-L and percentage for MELB in 2018
0-7 74.8% v current top 9
12-1 174.8% v current bottom 9

Topkent

Confirmed ITK Drafting King
Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
Hilarious in a way, last year we matched it with every top 8 side, won in Perth and Adelaide and were competive most weeks.

However we lost a bunch of games against sides who missed finals.
This year we couldn't be any more professional against the best but can't buy a top 8 win..
I think we have gone backwards.

Flat Track bullies is a frequently used term and has in recent years been attached to teams like West Coast and Port.

However, no team has ever earned the tag more than the 2018 Melbourne side, almost unbelievable that they decimate teams from 10th -18th but can't beat a single side 1st - 9th.

Figures courtesy "Matt Mann"

W-L and percentage for MELB in 2018
0-7 74.8% v current top 9
12-1 174.8% v current bottom 9

so 10th-12th on the ladder are s**t sides?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Oct 21, 2015
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Denver Nuggets, Golden Knights
Rich coming from a Crows fan.

Forgotten about last year already? Didn't you turn into WaterBoardFC after last year due to mental fragility internally identified?

How's that gone for you this year?

Not rich at all. Perfectly valid observation regardless of who OP barracks for.

I agree, but its the exact same as Port last year who IIRC also didn't beat a team in the top eight (perhaps they won one in the end?) but were fortunate that 12 wins was enough.

Apr 12, 2014
AFL Club
Melbourne
No argument from me. It is so frustrating how we have training drills against bad sides but against top sides we look terrible. Unsure if the list is overrated or our system is picked apart by any coach of a half decent side.

As a supporter this has been probably the third least enjoyable season I’ve watched us.

Hilarious in a way, last year we matched it with every top 8 side, won in Perth and Adelaide and were competive most weeks.

However we lost a bunch of games against sides who missed finals.
This year we couldn't be any more professional against the best but can't buy a top 8 win..
I think we have gone backwards.

Yep, as I said on our board to you 2017 at least we could beat anyone (Beat 4 of the top 8 sides). This year it is so predictable how our games will go.

I agree, but its the exact same as Port last year who IIRC also didn't beat a team in the top eight (perhaps they won one in the end?) but were fortunate that 12 wins was enough.

Port won 14 last year and beat both the swans and eagles.

Furn2

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 27, 2012
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Well if they can't beat one of GWS or WC they are most likely gone so it's all to play for.

Apr 12, 2014
AFL Club
Melbourne
I have through marriage unfortunately seen more of Melbourne than one would otherwise wish to see.

Just a pack of peahearts. Many players just loaf about expecting things to happen.

They need to develop an indomitable hunger to win. Missing Viney doesn't help in this area.

Jones is half the captain Viney is but his foot is a huge worry.

Sep 25, 2011
The Home of Football
AFL Club
Collingwood
This stat is not meaningless but you need to understand what it means.
Using ladder positions alone for this analysis is flawed because built into it is the said results you are looking at.

As an example, Geelong against the rest of the competition is 9 wins, 9 losses (50%). North Melbourne is 11-8 (58%). The reason that Geelong is above North in the ladder (and therefore inside the top 9 to make this stat work) is BECAUSE they have beaten Melbourne twice, while North lost their game. It's a bit of chicken and the egg.

Now that's not to say that Melbourne doesn't have issues playing against better sides - clearly you can see they do just by watching their games - but you have to keep in mind you can't really throw a magic blanket over the top 9, especially when a win/loss either way separates 4th from 11th.

Ian Dunross

Premiership Player
Mar 18, 2013
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Glenelg Tigers
Rich coming from a Crows fan.

Forgotten about last year already? Didn't you turn into WaterBoardFC after last year due to mental fragility internally identified?

How's that gone for you this year?

You mean the Crows that beat the rest of the top 3 by an average margin of 10 goals, with the exception of the grand final?

PAFC_1870

Cancelled
10k Posts
Feb 21, 2009
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Ferrari, Chicago Bulls
I believe they are where are at, better than those below. Just a stupid Vic centric media hoping for another fairytale.

Back