carb70

Club Legend
Dec 24, 2000
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Tampa Bay, Liverpool
This might sound a bit stupid, but I cannot see where Meady will play this year. I think Wakelin will play CHB, Paxman FB and I feel if Bassett can stay fit he will take one of the BPs. So apart from injuries will Meady make the side, as I can't see the backline playing 4 talls. What does everybody else think?.

We definately have options now, which is good to see.

Imagine in the near future after Meady and Paco have retired, we could have Wakelin, Bishop, Bassett, plus the ruckman to drop back, gives us good height in our defence.

For 2001, Bassett will probably be used off the bench, and we may even rest Meady for a game or 2, let that back of his have some recovery time.

------------------
Chris

(Yes Virginia, there is a Santa Claus)

Thats true BA he does give 100% every week and I have the up most respect for him. I've been watching him play for Port for over 10 years and some of his preformances in SANFL GF's for Port playing in the ruck were just magnificent. But I think his age and injuries might of caught up with him. I just don't think he will be able to compete against younger,faster and stronger fowards like Whitnall,Lucas and Lloyd anymore. I hope I'm wrong though.

I can still see Meady at CHB and being a real influence on our side. Wakelin in my eyes will just take the place of Daniels who was only ever good as a stopper, Wakeling will give us a little more drive from defence.

Don't be surprised to see Meady stand in a forward pocket though, if you remember back to the Western Bulldogs game last year Meady had quite a bit of influence in the forward pocket in that game. He didn't kick any goals in that game but you could see that he mentally helped those younger guys in the forward line like Cornes etc.

So expect to see Meady there for all 22 games but be ready to see a change of roles for our Meady.

------------------
Port Adelaide Forever

Meady will be at CHB...he is a great backmen. If he has a few bad games then he can be moved up forward. Remember he started his career as a full forward, or even in the ruck a bit. All depends where he fits into the scheme. He should be the walkup CHB

Originally posted by carb70:
This might sound a bit stupid, but I cannot see where Meady will play this year. I think Wakelin will play CHB, Paxman FB and I feel if Bassett can stay fit he will take one of the BPs. So apart from injuries will Meady make the side, as I can't see the backline playing 4 talls. What does everybody else think?.

Meady is still the best player at the club...may not be the most dynamic or eye catching but I can only remember 1 bad game...the final in 1999 and that was a bad 15 minutes.

I like the idea of playing him up forward. He kicks a few goals from CHB and can take a strong mark. Also if you look at experience it is the forward line where we struggle.

Could be useful off the bench, but I would have him on the ground for sure.

ptw

Originally posted by Scott:
I can still see Meady at CHB and being a real influence on our side. Wakelin in my eyes will just take the place of Daniels who was only ever good as a stopper, Wakeling will give us a little more drive from defence

Scott, If the Power only got Wakelin to replace Daniels, Then why did they waste their number 4 draft pick to get a BP player?. When they have Bassett or Bishop who they could use as a replacement for Daniels.

Carb

I don't think they just got Wakelin to replace Daniels, he is more of a replacement for Meady or Paxman when they retire. But for now while they are still playing he will just basically replace Daniels.

You would have to agree that Daniels was basically a stopper and nothing more, he hardly ever got a great amount of possessions and mostly just stopped his opponent from getting any stats. Wakelin gathers a hell of a lot more stats than Daniels and he is hardly a back pocket player, I see Wakelin running forward from half back.

Wakelin is going to make it alot harder for players like a Bishop or a Bassett to get a spot but their turn will come more when the likes of Meady and Paxman retire, you just can't fit them all in. Also Bishop and Bassett are really unhearalded as far as backmen go so far so it was a good choice to use our no.4 pick for Wakelin even if at this stage he only plays on a half back line.

------------------
Port Adelaide Forever

You've got to be joking Scott!

Wakelin does not give drive, he does not accumulate possessions, he is not attacking.

He didn't get ONE possession against Richmond in 2000 & was dropped, he rarely gets more than a half dozen possessions in a game.

Wakelin is a stopper, that's basically it. He's solid & he rarely gets more than a few goals kicked on him, but he's just a stopper mate.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back