Review Dees v Aints in the Simpson Desert Cup: the Good, Bad & Fugly - Rd 19

Remove this Banner Ad

Lewis has been pretty good since he's been playing in the forward line. Jagged a few goals here and there (should have more, too) but has made one of the opposition's key defenders accountable (ie McGovern) and keeping them out of a lot of contests. Beats having another guy down there who'll jump at anything and bring their man to every contest. Doesn't do a lot for forward pressure but he's not alone there. The likes of Baker, Petty, maybe C Wagner have shown a little bit as well.

I think the key thing has been the form of our better players. Good teams can carry a few potatoes here and there and even make them look decent, whereas our best players have been inconsistent, scratchy or out of form. If those guys can get their act together, the rest of the lesser lights will follow.
I reckon you’ve hit the nail on the head there. There’s too much going on above the shoulders at the moment.

I’ve no idea what the solution is. Goody’s approach of focusing on the basics might be the right approach in the long term, but he did use the word ‘stress’ a lot in his presser, and it seems like that is what the players are getting out of it, rather than confidence.

I must say, i’m worried that Goodwin will do what Neeld did after 2012 and totally gut the list to bring in ‘his type’ of competitors when he is unlikely to be at the club in 12 months.

I could easily see him scapegoating guys like Brayshaw and ANB and trading them away for unders. If every single player on your list is underperforming and failing to execute your game plan, maybe the coach is the problem.

I’d hate to lose any good talent for whoever the next coach is.
I hate to alarm you but Goodwin is contracted until end of 2022. He'll get two more years irrespective of what happens next season. Yes we probably did sign him for too long too early but we don't have the money to pay him out two years in advance.

Last night was embarrassing. The only shining light now on this season is that we keep playing so badly, doing so many simple things wrong which cost us goals, have a game plan that is not beneficial at all and yet find ourselves right in the game nearly every week until the last quarter when we get overrun.

I’ll maintain that we can turn this around quickly but I’m losing faith that we will with every passing week.

I hate to alarm you but Goodwin is contracted until end of 2022. He'll get two more years irrespective of what happens next season. Yes we probably did sign him for too long too early but we don't have the money to pay him out two years in advance.
I'm well aware, but the club won't be able to afford to keep him if we are here again in 12 months. We'll do well to stay at 40k memberships next year. Another bottom 2 finish and we will struggle to hit 35k.

I literally hate anyone that thinks OMac is a good player. He's the worst key defender to get consistent games bar none. I'd rather take Matthew Warnock than him.

He legitimately spent all game 15m off his opponent including one play where he guarded the point post while membrey led up from the square.
I'd rather play Preuss at FB, his opponent would get less seperation than on OMac

I literally hate anyone that thinks OMac is a good player. He's the worst key defender to get consistent games bar none. I'd rather take Matthew Warnock than him.

He legitimately spent all game 15m off his opponent including one play where he guarded the point post while membrey led up from the square.
I'd rather play Preuss at FB, his opponent would get less seperation than on OMac

As others have said he also makes bad decisions. He is not a back line player.

He is contracted until 2020 so give him a stint up forward if anything. Just stop with the square peg in a round hole nonsense.

Its an indictment on Goody that he seems to rate him. Similalry with continuing to play Josh Wagner and ANB, selecting bloody Maynard over Gus to play against the cats rd 1 last year. Says alot about his judgement or lack thereof

Its an indictment on Goody that he seems to rate him. Similalry with continuing to play Josh Wagner and ANB, selecting bloody Maynard over Gus to play against the cats rd 1 last year. Says alot about his judgement or lack thereof
Or playing Fritsch in defence for so long that he lost all confidence and was dropped for a prelim. 2 games later as a forward and he looks like a gun again.

Players are not playing on instinct and appear to be second guessing and reactive in most situations on the ground.

My guess is that players are being over-coached.

In my opinion, when things aren't functioning and working well you need to simplify things and I see no evidence of that this year at all.

Have we gone from a zone defence to man on man? No.

Have we looked to go to a more traditional forward structure instead of continuing to try to score running back to goal? No.

What have the coaches done to improve our ability to execute a game plan on match days? On evidence, not much.

I think we've been in enough games to actually have a reasonable year, but poor coaching and execution has let us down 9 times out of 10.

Also, names that should not play for Melbourne again - Corey Wagner, Josh Wagner, Oscar McDonald, Jordan Lewis (just lost all athleticism).

Sam Frost and ANB are nearly in that bracket, they do some good but undo all their good shortly after.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Players are not playing on instinct and appear to be second guessing and reactive in most situations on the ground.

My guess is that players are being over-coached.

In my opinion, when things aren't functioning and working well you need to simplify things and I see no evidence of that this year at all.

Have we gone from a zone defence to man on man? No.

Have we looked to go to a more traditional forward structure instead of continuing to try to score running back to goal? No.

What have the coaches done to improve our ability to execute a game plan on match days? On evidence, not much.

I think we've been in enough games to actually have a reasonable year, but poor coaching and execution has let us down 9 times out of 10.

Prime example the 3 teams that have sacked their coaches. All 3 have released the shackles, put guys in their best spots, played with freedom and uncomplicated what had become complicated. That's what it feels like we are doing, coaching guys not to do what their best at

Prime example the 3 teams that have sacked their coaches. All 3 have released the shackles, put guys in their best spots, played with freedom and uncomplicated what had become complicated. That's what it feels like we are doing, coaching guys not to do what their best at

Goody will get another year, but he needs to do a Buckley and have a look at himself and be a bit more flexible with his game plan and principles or he won't last much longer.

Also, names that should not play for Melbourne again - Corey Wagner, Josh Wagner, Oscar McDonald, Jordan Lewis (just lost all athleticism).

Sam Frost and ANB are nearly in that bracket, they do some good but undo all their good shortly after.

Corey Wagner played ok I thought, just like last week. Josh Wagner is not playing at AFL standard and should be dropped.

I don't think Lewis should be playing mid-field OR back line but down forward he is doing ok. His years of experience are helping him out there. I doubt he will be with the club next year and if Melksham was available he would not be in the team.

I have been hoping ANB would have a break out game but he has not. He has been back in the team since round 14. He is not getting a high number of tackles (unless an average of 4 is considered high) and he is not troubling the score board either.

Frost, I think he just needs May/Lever there to guide him and he will be an excellent player.

To be fair, we have 22 inside mids so we have to coach them to play somewhere else :$

To be fair, we have 22 inside mids so we have to coach them to play somewhere else :$
I don’t think we do. Not really. But inside mid seems to be the only role valued or half way trained, and anyone not a natural to the role has been required to get with the program and roll through there anyway. No wonder we’re crap

Was very noticeable last night. Odd way to defend - its like he was worried about getting manhandled if he was too tight on his opponent, but he doesn't have the closing speed to make up 5 metres when he's sitting off his opponent. Its s**t, but you would have thought one of our coaches might have told him to go shoulder to shoulder with Membrey rather than guarding the dangerous space on the boundary line's back pocket.
It also looked like every time the ball went inside 50 it was off the back of a rebound after we’d turned it over in our back half and none of our defenders had any time to react.

He's not a good player, he's a great player. Best forward we've had since Nietz.

We may as well try McDonald up forward. I missed the second half, but I thought McDonald spoiled well on the first. Assume he fell apart?

Just think, unless May makes a miraculous recovery we're going to get to watch OMac on Lynch or Riewoldt next week.

GOOD TIMES AHEAD.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back