Review Dees v Aints - the Good, Bad & Fugly - Rd 2, 2021

Remove this Banner Ad

Most impressive things last night for me was the way we started, came out of the blocks running and took the sting and emotion out of the game and got on top. Also our response in the 2nd quarter when St Kilda got a run on kicked those goals, we didn't capitulate, we were able to steady things and ended up kicking the last 3 goals and won the quarter in the end. Those were really mature signs and makes me have faith in this group of players.

Also, how confident do our younger players look? guys like Kossie, Rivers, Jackson, Jordon, Sparrow etc have just come in and played with freedom, that's the benefit of having stronger bodies and a core leadership group around them, great to see.
Yeah that goal in the first 30s was huge I think. Was a pretty hot start in terms of pressure and we did well. Did look like a 10 goal loss on the cards early in the second and they wrestled the game back, really impressive.
Goalkicking needs work, but we made a lot of chances and definitely used the ball better going inside 50.

Gawn also deserves a mention, he’s much better drifting back than drifting forward. Eats up the dump kicks when our midfield pressure is on. Quiet last week and is still fitting in with Jackson, he was solid.
Only reason he can do that is because of Jackson's work around the ground.

Only reason he can do that is because of Jackson's work around the ground.

Yep. Reckon we're underestimating a little how valuable it is having Jackson who can actually ruck (Sure he isn't much of a threat forward yet) in the forward half and let Gawn play behind the ball. Is incredibly difficult for oppo teams too when Gawn is back for that hack kick to the wing.

That really was a fine win. Yes things to fix but in reality most of us were probably dubious before the match about beating the Saints. Cannot fault the endeavour and so pleasing to see players like ANB, Spargo and Tomlinson have such an impact in addition to those we consider stars present and future.

Best part is that we're having no issues scoring without Brown and Weideman. We will be really good with them back, this new style of game should really suit BBB and my dad bumped into weed in the toilets at marvel, is apparently a massive unit. Like arms the size of most people's head. He built now.

Our small forward stocks suddenly look much better with ANB back to 2018 form, Spargo fighting out of his 2nd/3rd year blues/inconsistency and turning into a really effective player, Kozzie lighting things up and Chandler waiting in the wings after a huge pre season.

Moving the ball quicker and Tmac bringing a lot of balls to ground also really useful.

Our small forward stocks suddenly look much better with ANB back to 2018 form, Spargo fighting out of his 2nd/3rd year blues/inconsistency and turning into a really effective player, Kozzie lighting things up and Chandler waiting in the wings after a huge pre season.

Moving the ball quicker and Tmac bringing a lot of balls to ground also really useful.

Tmac going back to that form where at worst he is bringing the ball to ground in every contest is a huge tick for us. He wasn't even getting to those contests in 2020.

Penciled that one in as a belting from the Saints; would have taken an honourable loss so a win is very good, especially given I jinxed Lever early on and May was down a little.
Feels very special watching Melbourne's role players play a role. Enjoyed ANB, Nathan Jones and Nev Jetta's games particularly- nothing outstanding just doing what they do without the egregious errors that I noticed last year and the year before. (Edit: T'mac too).
Spargo robbed of goal of the century. Goal umpire was crap- "no sense of occasion!". There's been worse non-goals called this round.
19 behinds was funny.
Enjoyed Pickett but I got a bit sick of the commentators creaming themselves over him with their extremely limited vocabulary. Suggestions: breathtaking; thrilling; or how about: "that one really tickles the balls!". Perfect for prime-time television IMO, bit of a double-entendre in there too.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yep. Reckon we're underestimating a little how valuable it is having Jackson who can actually ruck (Sure he isn't much of a threat forward yet) in the forward half and let Gawn play behind the ball. Is incredibly difficult for oppo teams too when Gawn is back for that hack kick to the wing.
He's a threat forward. It's just not translating yet.

He missed 2 sitters last week, and 1 last night (and another couple that didn't score). I'm not saying he's going to kick 5 goals a week, but he could/should easily have 2 or 3 goals over the first 2 games. If he keeps getting in good positions inside 50, and flying for his marks- either marking or bringing it to ground, he's going to keep causing a few headaches and allowing gawn to drift back.

Just got to keep playing him, and I'm curious how that looks when the other 2 tall forwards are fit.

He's a threat forward. It's just not translating yet.

He missed 2 sitters last week, and 1 last night (and another couple that didn't score). I'm not saying he's going to kick 5 goals a week, but he could/should easily have 2 or 3 goals over the first 2 games. If he keeps getting in good positions inside 50, and flying for his marks- either marking or bringing it to ground, he's going to keep causing a few headaches and allowing gawn to drift back.

Just got to keep playing him, and I'm curious how that looks when the other 2 tall forwards are fit.
Wondering this myself, will be some tough decisions to be made at some point

If both come in then surely we can't play Fritsch.
Yeah, if he's still kicking drunk like he has been he's in some strife.

Can we play all of Brown, Weid, TMac and Jackson tho? Helps that Jacko isn't a normal tall below his knees, Weid is pretty good in that regard as well to be fair, so will probably be worth a look at it for a couple of weeks at least

Yeah, if he's still kicking drunk like he has been he's in some strife.

Can we play all of Brown, Weid, TMac and Jackson tho? Helps that Jacko isn't a normal tall below his knees, Weid is pretty good in that regard as well to be fair, so will probably be worth a look at it for a couple of weeks at least

I don't think you can play the 3 talls and Fritsch. 3 yeah, Fritsch as well no. That's 4 of the 6 that want the ball on the lead.

Re; Jackson non believers.

I like to compare what other ruckman do at his age as a reference of where he's at and projecting moving forward. And there are very few who look like he does at this stage of their career. Most can't even get a kick in the VFL as 19yos.

0% doubt that he is going to be very good.

We not gonna mention Spargs was a few centimeters off one of the great goals

Also appreciation post, Spargo has been good in creating pressure and finding targets

Fritsch is good at getting the sneaky mark from leading, wrestling and doubling back. Often gets it in unideal positions though, but its often a guaranteed mark. Would be perfect if them was slotting them.

Weid is capable of flying for marks at angles but not great at wrestling with opponents like Fritsch surprisingly is. But I would have Wieid for Fritsch if his conversion doesn't improve.

Weid also lays some strong tackles when he is on.

Will be really tough trying to fit them al in without stuffing up synergy and form.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back