Review Dees v Aints - the Good, Bad & Fugly - Rd 2, 2021

Remove this Banner Ad

I went to the game last night. I thought we looked well positioned and spaced all night except in the 2nd quarter saints run. Especially in the bounces. When we keep our width on the wing and in bounces, we are much better.

Much, much better then previous years. Our defensive set up was great. Saints would look down the field and see Lever, Tomlinson, May, Gawn, Jetta. Not many easy marks or crumbing opportunities. May played the last line of defense well. Maybe didnt seem like he dominated from his stats but there were no out the back goals as he was always there.

Congratulations on the win.

Here are the midfield frequency stats from the game - if you haven't seen these before this is an overall summary of how often your players were lining up as one of the mids at bounces, with some extra stats thrown in.

Overall Summary - 26 Bounces

Langdon 26 wing
Oliver 24
Petracca 20
Brayshaw 20 wing
Viney 17
Jordon 9 (3w)
Jones 7 (4i, 3w)
Pickett 3
Sparrow 2
ANB 1
Fritsch 1

Gawn 23
Jackson 3

Centre Clearances

Oliver 4
Gawn 3
Pickett 2
Viney 2
Petracca 2
ANB 1

Top 5 Pressure Acts (from that group)

ANB 28 - #1 on the ground
Petracca 21 - 3rd at Dees
Oliver - 20 - 4th "
Jones - 17 - 5th
Pickett - 16 - equal 6th

NB> Spargo was your 2nd best pressure acts player

Breakdown by Quarter - Q1

Langdon 6 wing
Oliver 6
Brayshaw 5 wing
Viney 4
Petracca 3
Jordon 2
Pickett 1
ANB 1
Jones 1 wing
Sparrow 1

Q2

Langdon 7 wing
Oliver 6
Petracca 6
Brayshaw 5 wing
Viney 4
Jordon 3 (2w, 1i)
Jones 2
Sparrow 1
Fritsch 1

Q3

Langdon 6 wing
Oliver 6
Petracca 5
Jones 4 (2i, 2w)
Brayshaw 3 wing
Viney 3
Jordon 2 (1i, 1w)
Pickett 1

Q4

Langdon 7 wing
Brayshaw 7 wing
Oliver 6
Petracca 6
Viney 6
Jordon 2
Pickett 1

Re; Jackson non believers.

I like to compare what other ruckman do at his age as a reference of where he's at and projecting moving forward. And there are very few who look like he does at this stage of their career. Most can't even get a kick in the VFL as 19yos.

0% doubt that he is going to be very good.

100% on board with this.

I hope its already been said but time to cut our losses and delist Oliver after tonight. He lost all of his trade value after tonight's performance, we'd need to offer 3 first rounders to get Paddy Dow now.

I hope its already been said but time to cut our losses and delist Oliver after tonight. He lost all of his trade value after tonight's performance, we'd need to offer 3 first rounders to get Paddy Dow now.
Still won’t be enough to land Will Minson.

Surprised reading the saints board to see so many excuses. Would have thought their lack of success like ours would turn them into extremely negative supporters post game. We can melt a fair bit on here me included but don't think we make many excuses at all.

Surprised reading the saints board to see so many excuses. Would have thought their lack of success like ours would turn them into extremely negative supporters post game. We can melt a fair bit on here me included but don't think we make many excuses at all.
To give them some credit though, they never went down the umpire pathway. I think they’re just disappointed and 24 hours later are trying to talk themselves into better spirits rather than punch their colleagues repeatedly for the week.

Melbourne supporters are pretty good at accepting results without making excuses, but we’ve been trained rigorously in this area. There are very few occasions over the past decade-and-a-half where excuses could even remotely work

Dees fans are under some collective impression that anything we don’t do perfectly is evidence of some intractable systemic issue rotting throughout the entire club which can only be cured with some old-fashioned ruthlesness. Especially on Demonland, none of them even know what they believe, it’s all just media sound bites over there, no genuine opinions. We don’t need excuses because we have just entirely given up and we’re perfectly happy to believe what we’re told about how bad we are. Saints fas, bless them, haven’t reached that point yet. Probably something to do with playing multiple grand finals barely a decade ago.

Dees fans are under some collective impression that anything we don’t do perfectly is evidence of some intractable systemic issue rotting throughout the entire club which can only be cured with some old-fashioned ruthlesness. Especially on Demonland, none of them even know what they believe, it’s all just media sound bites over there, no genuine opinions. We don’t need excuses because we have just entirely given up and we’re perfectly happy to believe what we’re told about how bad we are. Saints fas, bless them, haven’t reached that point yet. Probably something to do with playing multiple grand finals barely a decade ago.

Sadly I feel this is extremely accurate. I was thinking this morning 2-0 with a win against the Saints is a really good start but it doesn't feel like that at all. Club has to probably win against GWS then Geelong for the supporters to genuinely start believing again.

Sadly I feel this is extremely accurate. I was thinking this morning 2-0 with a win against the Saints is a really good start but it doesn't feel like that at all. Club has to probably win against GWS then Geelong for the supporters to genuinely start believing again.
We could win five straight but if we then lose to Richmond because of inside 50 efficiency or similar the ‘we won’t make finals’ feeling will still come back.

We could win five straight but if we then lose to Richmond because of inside 50 efficiency or similar the ‘we won’t make finals’ feeling will still come back.
Just quietly, we are a genuine chance at starting 5-0, but now I've put that in black and while, we'll lose the next 3 because MFC

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Good to see we weren't overrun in the last after the Saints were able to activate a fresh mid during the game. Either we're really fit, or one man out of 22 actually doesn't make that much difference

GWS and Hawks games are banana peels I can see coming a mile off, especially the Hawks.
The Hawks battled okay against Richmond - with literally half the capacity of the team they were up against. But I would like to thump them in the manner we did last year. I would like to thump anyone though...

Yep Goodwin asked about the 2 win start to the season and that he looks comfortable. Goodwin said that we have a long way to go and far from comfortable. Pretty much how I feel. Win thr next two I'll feel better but yes still a long way to go.

Just finished the replay. Jones has been a big whipping boy for me but I thought he was very important in a few contests, still strong over the ball and his use was fine. Is still probably in the bottom 3-4 players in the side but he'll keep his spot if he keeps playing like that. Pickett is ridiculous, thought TMac was excellent and Oliver was clear BOG and much better than last week. Saints were extremely lucky honestly - they kicked about 3 goals from horrific dropped marks from us and obviously we kicked 12.19, on another day that is a 70 point win.

There’s no chance we beat Richmond at the MCG for mine. Not even worth hoping for. GWS I feel is always a genuine 50/50 for us depending on which sides turn up for each club. Not sure we’ve beaten them in NSW/ACT though, and the thought of playing them there always scares me. Our recent record against Geelong is very strong bar two floggings 2016 and 2019 but we usually just don’t get the job done. Hawks we really should be taking to the cleaners, but again they probably play the MCG better than us.

If we win more than one of the next four then I’ll be satisfied. Win one and it won’t be a disaster but definite danger signs. Win three or four and I’ll be ecstatic. To lose all four would be a catastrophe. Will basically give us an insight into what we can expect this season IMO.

There’s no chance we beat Richmond at the MCG for mine. Not even worth hoping for. GWS I feel is always a genuine 50/50 for us depending on which sides turn up for each club. Not sure we’ve beaten them in NSW/ACT though, and the thought of playing them there always scares me.
We beat them in Canberra in 2012 or 2013 by about 6 goals(?), with the asterisk that they were very, very young then. I went and it was a horrendous game.
They are generally pretty good in Canberra though.

GWS look shithouse. Think the monsoon that both the Giants and Saints played in really took a toll.

Good

* Our pressure. Loved it.
* Lowering the eyes going into F50. Much better.
* Our defence holding up without big games from May/Lever. This is important. Everyone buying in.
* Intercept marking. Again, a really important part of our improvement and crucial to our success.
* Pickett. How bloody exciting.
* Tomlinson. Kept Membrey to 1 and showed why he is better suited to defence. Brilliant game.
* Salem. 30 touches! That's what we needed son. No more 18-20 touch games. Keep getting mid to high 20s and beyond and we get better as a team.
* Oliver. Please, no more talk of trading him. He's probably got 5 votes in first 2 games.

Bad

Dropped marks. They were costly in the third when we were so dominant. Can't afford those mistakes.

Ugly

Goal kicking. I said last week that Fritta and Trac are gonna cost us a crucial game sooner rather than later because of their horrible set shots. It simply must improve if we are going to play finals this year and beyond.

* Tomlinson. Kept Membrey to 1 and showed why he is better suited to defence. Brilliant game.
Wasn't actually on him when Membrey kicked his one goal either. Lever was, and he got stuck as the man on the mark of the kick inside 50, which he wasn't allowed to move to from, causing the overlap that lead to his goal. It was after this, when Membrey's running capacity made it clear that Tommo was the better option, and then went on to give him a bath.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back