Review Dees v Aints - the Good, Bad & Fugly

Remove this Banner Ad

All you peanuts saying Weid shouldn't be getting a game are exactly the same peanuts who were sooking up a storm about Oscar McDonald 12-24 months ago. You wouldn't recognise player development if it punched you in the face. I love Pedersen, but Weid has shown that every game we play him is a building block to a very good player in future.

All you peanuts saying Weid shouldn't be getting a game are exactly the same peanuts who were sooking up a storm about Oscar McDonald 12-24 months ago. You wouldn't recognise player development if it punched you in the face. I love Pedersen, but Weid has shown that every game we play him is a building block to a very good player in future.
i don’t even rate Weideman that highly, I just don’t rate Pedo. I wish we’d picked Curnow but Weideman and Pedersen bring about the same amount to the table at this stage. People on this board severely overestimate Pedersen’s ability at this stage of his career. He’s not the player he used to be

i don’t even rate Weideman that highly, I just don’t rate Pedo. I wish we’d picked Curnow but Weideman and Pedersen bring about the same amount to the table at this stage. People on this board severely overestimate Pedersen’s ability at this stage of his career. He’s not the player he used to be
I agree, and he's shown a decline from last year so far (albeit only a small sample size)

Hardly, we'd offloaded Dunn so OMac was pretty much all we had in the locker. We also weren't in any danger of playing finals two years ago.

What happened to not gifting kids games and earning your spot each week? Can people now not develop in the VFL? Why does voicing your opinion on something get people so worked up over nothing? Can someone not criticize a player without the association that they must be banished to the VFL or delisted? Does every point being made have to be phrased as a question?

Hardly, we'd offloaded Dunn so OMac was pretty much all we had in the locker. We also weren't in any danger of playing finals two years ago.

What happened to not gifting kids games and earning your spot each week? Can people now not develop in the VFL? Why does voicing your opinion on something get people so worked up over nothing? Can someone not criticize a player without the association that they must be banished to the VFL or delisted? Does every point being made have to be phrased as a question?

hqdefault.jpg

By that logic we should dump Lewis Vince and Jones from the side and play Baker Johnstone and Petty immediately because VFL performances are irrelevant

Structurally we've looked better with Weid in the side and I'm nervous about changing that while we're winning. He runs out games really well even if he doesn't impact so much early. Loved his clearance in the last quarter.

OMac got games because it was obvious he was going to be an excellent key back. You give young blokes a run a games when they are super likely types and can learn what they need in the AFL. A young Gawn had a lot to work on so the VFL was fine, I guess the match committee feel that Weid has got all he needs out of the seconds and is now about big enough to not get knocked off the ball too much.

Maybe they think he's going to be a player or maybe they just want to see what we have with him. I'm guessing Weid is in now so he can have the soft run of opponents to give him the best chance of getting the speed of the game. Reckon we're pretty ******* potent if he can prove to be a consistent target to go along with Hogan, TMac. Plus Petracca Oliver and co drifting in.

Structurally we've looked better with Weid in the side and I'm nervous about changing that while we're winning. He runs out games really well even if he doesn't impact so much early. Loved his clearance in the last quarter.

The other way to look at that is structurally we've looked better... against the Saints and the Bombers. I'm sure we'll be fine against the Gold Coast, too.

A Good that hasn't been mentioned much:

Lewis - I thought he was really good yesterday, was marshalling the defence really well and seemed to be in the right spot at the right time, instead of getting sucked in and not impacting contests and getting burnt with his lack of pace. Some of his kicks out of defence in the first quarter were sublime (2 of them were almost identical to Brayshaw?) and he just looked really smart. If he's to see out his contract he really needs to get the balance right between positioning himself smartly and going when it's his turn.

Vince was really solid again and both him and Lewis seem to be playing their roles a lot better - there was one contest in our defensive 50 where Vince closed down a Saints player and wrapped him up in a huge tackle, that physicality really separated us from the Saints yesterday.

Christ they're a soft team, early on McCartin had a chance to run through Gawn and set the tone of the match but instead pushed him in the back and gave away a stupid free, also Jack Billings has one of the longest streaks for not giving away a free kick? It's sad as they'll be missing him for a long time with no replacement in sight, but the Saints really miss Riewoldt running up and down the ground splitting packs, imagine having Geary as your captain...Christ on a stick

We also weren't in any danger of playing finals two years ago.
Fair point, but until Weideman stops contributing goals/we stop winning comfortably with him in the side, then he should stay in the side. Right now, he's helping straighten the side up when Hogan and TMac are further down the field (no more kicks to a forward line with only Jeffy and Hannan) and has kicked 4 in the last 2 weeks.

If it was a choice between Hogan and Pedo or Hogan and Weid, I would go Pedo. If its a choice between Hogan, McDonald and then either Weid or Pedo - then I'm comfortable that Weideman is adding enough and will pay the faith off when he's a touch older. There comes a point where you can only really learn AFL standard contests/leading patterns at the top level.

No doubt Weid will go back to the VFL in a few weeks with a much better idea of what he needs to do to succeed in the firsts. We are giving him every chance to succeed, and we need him to come good given we've got no first round picks on the list from 2016, 17 or 18.

The other way to look at that is structurally we've looked better... against the Saints and the Bombers. I'm sure we'll be fine against the Gold Coast, too.
The thing is that the three tall thing is viable. Saints towelled us with it in 2015-16 (see Membrey) and West Coast right now are showing that it's still effective. Small ball is sexy cos Richmond, but three quality talls is a pain in the ass because most sides don't have three quality tall KPDs.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The thing is that the three tall thing is viable. Saints towelled us with it in 2015-16 (see Membrey) and West Coast right now are showing that it's still effective. Small ball is sexy cos Richmond, but three quality talls is a pain in the ass because most sides don't have three quality tall KPDs.
I get frightened when you start a post with “the thing is...”

I can’t be stuffed looking it up, but I have a weird feeling you started a post with the thing is - I think we can get them. About Adelaide in Adelaide last year.

That hasn't got a lot to do with Weideman. TMac and Hogan are both pretty mobile for big guys and have great tanks. Weideman just needs to be weedyman. Likewise with Lever and how "great" he's been lately. Who'd a thunk we'd look better against two sides currently stinking it up and well on their way to finishing in the bottom four?

Why don't we halt the proclamations until we've actually played some good football against even the average sides.

That hasn't got a lot to do with Weideman. TMac and Hogan are both pretty mobile for big guys and have great tanks. Weideman just needs to be weedyman. Likewise with Lever and how "great" he's been lately. Who'd a thunk we'd look better against two sides currently stinking it up and well on their way to finishing in the bottom four?

Why don't we halt the proclamations until we've actually played some good football against even the average sides.
I’m not certain yet who the average sides are.

But I do agree with you - we will be measured by how we perform against teams good enough to put pressure on the way we have trained to play.

Weedyman is still cool though - he’s got a prowl about him.

Yeah, you're quite right, we've not really done much more than beat two teams that we should ... however ... we're Melbourne, and beating the sides we should beat has been the football equivalent of solving a rubix cube the last few years ... so thats a start.

It's also going to provide some much needed confidence for a number of players in their own form, the game plan, and in their team mates as well. We'll get a reality check at some point of course, but it's still an important period for us to make the most of.

I’m not certain yet who the average sides are.

But I do agree with you - we will be measured by how we perform against teams good enough to put pressure on the way we have trained to play.

Weedyman is still cool though - he’s got a prowl about him.

Aside from the bottom 5 or 6 odd teams (Lions, Blews, Aints, Blompers, Suns) and the top... couple? They're mostly average sides, I reckon. Anyone can beat anyone so if a decent side puts away the likes of the Roos, Freo, Port, Cats, etc as well as knocking over the dross, should be a shoo in to finish around the top 6.

Aside from the bottom 5 or 6 odd teams (Lions, Blews, Aints, Blompers, Suns) and the top... couple? They're mostly average sides, I reckon. Anyone can beat anyone so if a decent side puts away the likes of the Roos, Freo, Port, Cats, etc as well as knocking over the dross, should be a shoo in to finish around the top 6.
It’s a weird season. And I guess the top couple is Tigs and Eags? The rest don’t look great at least half the time so I agree with you. Actually it’s a shot year really. Looking at it that way we might just make the 8.

Wouldn't be writing off the Suns, reckon they're going to be a side that's 2-3 wins better than their record this year.

Wouldn't be writing off the Suns, reckon they're going to be a side that's 2-3 wins better than their record this year.

They've got a few decent players left but their match squad is half-filled with kids and recycled dross. They're not going to be doing much more than surprising the odd team.

View attachment 493467 A timely reminder that the AFL Player Ratings mean two-fifths of **** all. Apparently Weller and Membrey (and 14 others) were better than Hogan yesterday :$

A great day out for Rowan Marshall. Serves him right for being called Rowan.

+ Gawn randomly showing up to create chaos.

Unsure if raised already, but did many others notice we conceded a seriously high number of “12 point plays” yesterday?

I reckon we had around 5, maybe more.

One or two bounces go our way, a couple of cleaner kicks going inside 50 and that is a very big difference. Minus a few goals from the saints score and add a few to ours. Could easily have been an eighty point win.

Good, being able to go for a quick piss break twice when TMac was lining up for goal cos I know what the result's gonna be.
He is just MR reliable. You’d have never picked it before he was forced down there last year, but the man has great forward craft and absolutely nails the two most fundamental things for a key forward - contested marking (and bringing ball to ground when he misses) and s**t hot set shot kicking.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back