Review Dees v Big Jack's Hacks: the Good, Bad & Chernobyl

Remove this Banner Ad

My brothers - greetings. Hope you are all well. It's all aboard the Dee Express to glory. To that end, for the 38th year in a row, I have my membership in hand.

PLease share your thoughts after the game.

* it - Dees by 40 points - that is what I dreamt last night.

My brothers - greetings. Hope you are all well. It's all aboard the Dee Express to glory. To that end, for the 38th year in a row, I have my membership in hand.

PLease share your thoughts after the game.

**** it - Dees by 40 points - that is what I dreamt last night.
We going to see you in the virtual crowd today Biff?

Riches to rags. People can hate on Goody as much as they want but he can’t make them hit short targets instead of bombing down the line constantly and then getting decimated from half back.

Posting this after the siren, I’m going full nuffie here

What a pathetic excuse of a football club, 40 points up and just hold on. Like I thought no reason to get excited about this season, play one good quarter of footy and then happy with themselves. Another group of players wasted at this club, this group will achieve nothing.

We here all this talk, Nathan Jones in the iso break - we have the advantage of burgess and our fitness. And this is what shits me most, shut up and stop talking up our abilities and just show us on the ground what you can do. If you really were that fit that game would of been over at half time and we win by 10 goals.

Just like we heard over the years after every disappointing loss “we are hurting, we are learning from this” Enough with the cheap talk and start showing us by your actions on the ground.

Good:

Simon Goodwin. Great guy. Great coach.

Bad:

Players not being able to execute his game plan without them having their hand held by Goody being on the bench with them.

Ugly:

Supporters not being happy with a win. When Goody smiles I smile.

Worst win I can remember in recent times if not ever. At least when we beat them 12 months ago we had excuses. What happened to Burgo and our superior fitness LOL. Carlton would have won by 5 goals if it had gone another quarter.

I'm normally a positive fan but that was pure crap.

Nothing wrong with the fitness IMO. Just typical Melbourne shite disposal and panic.

Worst win I can remember in recent times if not ever. At least when we beat them 12 months ago we had excuses. What happened to Burgo and our superior fitness LOL. Carlton would have won by 5 goals if it had gone another quarter.

I'm normally a positive fan but that was pure crap.
Gold coast win last year was easily worse.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Good: Short kicks into forward 50 first quarter. Petracca, Oliver, Rivers, Fritsch (never move him back again), Hunt as a forward (until Kozzie finds his straps).

Bad: Bombing into forward 50 after quarter time (like usual). Jackson (didn't do enough, very talented but needs more time). MacDonald (good pressure but otherwise showed nothing up forward)

Ugly: Looked gassed in last quarter (I thought we were fit), Smith, Jones (again), pretty much everything after quarter time (no ruthless streak, drink own bathwater when they get on top).

We got a good fitness coach, now what we really really need is the best sports psychologist out there. It's all between the ears for this team. Supremely talented on paper, rarely executes.

Stating the obvious but we're not going to get a first quarter like that against many sides. We were good but the blues put up basically no resistance.

Outworked for the rest of the game, opened up on the outside as usual. Always seems like teams move the ball easily out of defense with uncontested marks against us, but we almost never transition well out of defence and are always bombing down the line to a contest.

Don't think Smith has the footy IQ to make it as a defender.

TMac is the huge elephant in the room. Honestly the chances of him being goalless today were better than the chances of him hitting the scoreboard. Not that Fritsch covered himself in glory and his goal kicking is a real worry but we’re wasting TMac as a footy player. There’s no doubt he’s a jet but he’s possibly never going to show it as a forward again

We should've been flogged but Carlton couldn't kick.
Good(win):
- Rivers looked very good. Neat skills and solid in defence.
- Bennell getting through the game. Used it well though didn't ever seem to sprint too hard, whatever, would rather he stay fit.
- Trac had a very solid game forward and in the guts. More of that please.
- Oliver, Hunt, Tomlinson, Viney had some good moments.

Bad:
May's kickins. Bailey era bombs to an outnumbered Gawn, or shortarses like Viney against McKay.

Ugly:
Gawn. A bit of aggro from a couple of lumps like Casboult and Pittonet after quarter time nullified him. Some good taps but also very weak at times. Need a lot more from the Captain.
Defensive setups: having guys like Jetta, Rivers, Langdon stuck on their talls is bizarre and shouldn't be happening. Whatever dopey ******* zone we're running letting that happen can be tossed in the bin.
Joel Smith. First game in a long while, but jeez he looked ordinary. Gave away some very, very dumb frees that luckily weren't goals.
Having the feeling in my guts from quarter time that we'd drop the game, or failing that, stumble over the line. So predictable. As soon as Carlton turned on a little bit of pressure we went to water and bombed and fluffed about like nuffs.

Probably more ranting to come but I can't be bothered.

For a team that is suposedly well conditioned now, they looked very flat late

Also gawn is almost ineffective when he is bullied out of the ruck as a captain, @ me if you want but idc
I saw him got taken out last year by Ryder, I saw him get nullified by Nic Nat round 1 this year, and i just watched an inexpeirienced ruckman dicatate to him after quarter time. Sure i'm going after the golden boy, but when gawn gets taken out the whole team crumbles. Need to get back on top as a leader

Good . Really liked the debut of Rivers , scuffed a kick and got pinged for running to far , but the rest of his game was very composed for a first gamer .
Bennell appeared to get through ok , will be better for the run.
Trac was good too.
Bad Smith down back was good for the blues
I good quarter and a better team than the blues would have nailed us.
Ugly The last half of footy was just pure s**t.

Thé defence was the least of our problems I thought - they held up well enough given the huge pressure they were being put under. Although a lot of that was their fault given their garbage disposal.

For a team that is suposedly well conditioned now, they looked very flat late

Also gawn is almost ineffective when he is bullied out of the ruck as a captain, @ me if you want but idc
I saw him got taken out last year by Ryder, I saw him get nullified by Nic Nat round 1 this year, and i just watched an inexpeirienced ruckman dicatate to him after quarter time. Sure i'm going after the golden boy, but when gawn gets taken out the whole team crumbles. Need to get back on top as a leader

Scott Lycett is his daddy. Ever since the prelim hes been exposed. Put it too him physically and you have massive effect on his game. Amazed more teams haven't caught onto it honestly.

Good: Win, First Quarter, Bennell getting through the match, The usual few - Petracca, Oliver, Salem, Melk and Rivers... What a revelation!
Bad: 3 quarters, usual stuff, fumbles and poor disposal under pressure, poor communication, predictable play (Did we switch the play once in that whole game?)
Chernobyl: He probably deserves the benefit of the doubt after such a long layoff, by Smith made truly shocking decisions. OMac would be liking his chances next week.

Hopefully, we'll take something away from this. Maybe Goody will finally get the player to switch the play when there's nothing on down the line...but I'd be surprised.

Worst win I've ever seen us have, even pipping the Brisbane game back in 2015.

We can say, "bank the four points, move onto next week" but the win doesn't really matter in the scheme of things because it's clear that none of the problems we've had over the last few years have been addressed, so having 4 extra points at the end of the year isn't going to make much difference. We can look like a million bucks when the other side gives us space, but our game plan falls apart when we aren't allowed to freely execute plan A. Our forward line structure continues to be a god-awful mess and we don't have enough players capable of making good decisions and hitting targets under pressure. We might be lucky enough to beat up on some weaker teams like we did in 2018, but there is a reason we've lost something like 90% of games against top 4 teams in the past 2 years and that's obviously not going to change in the near term. We have the talent to be a top 8 side, but we're not a threat to anyone while Goody is coach and persists with exactly the same style of football that he got us precisely nowhere in the last 4 years.

Good:

- Petracca and Oliver.
- Rivers looks like a 200 game veteran already, amazing pickup so late in the draft. Jackson looks less out of place than I thought he would.

Bad:

- Everything else.

Ugly:

- Carlton. They have some Tommy Try-hard types, but Jesus their skills are terrible.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back