Review Dees v Big Jack's Hacks: the Good, Bad & Chernobyl

Remove this Banner Ad

For a team that is suposedly well conditioned now, they looked very flat late

Also gawn is almost ineffective when he is bullied out of the ruck as a captain, @ me if you want but idc
I saw him got taken out last year by Ryder, I saw him get nullified by Nic Nat round 1 this year, and i just watched an inexpeirienced ruckman dicatate to him after quarter time. Sure i'm going after the golden boy, but when gawn gets taken out the whole team crumbles. Need to get back on top as a leader

Well said, Carlton after quarter time just laid out the blueprint for any side to beat us, just physically attack Gawn.

I remember when everyone was lol'ing at me for saying Gawn was a mental marshmallow (except for Topkent who agreed) last year after round 1...nice to see you can all see it now also, friends. :)

Rivers best debut since Oliver?

Steven May was crap, gotta be one of the worst contracts in the league right now.

Good:

Simon Goodwin. Great guy. Great coach.

Bad:

Players not being able to execute his game plan without them having their hand held by Goody being on the bench with them.

Ugly:

Supporters not being happy with a win. When Goody smiles I smile.
Hard to know if Goody has a good game plan. But if the players aren't following it, for what ever reason, then he's not a good coach.

How were we so good against top 4 sides in 2017 with the same coach and a significantly worse list? Was it the absence of Gawn? Bring back Pedo?

Game style that some sides hadn’t worked out how to stop. Oliver, Hogan and Garlett firing, creating opportunities for lesser lights. Not sure our list is in a better position...fwd line is second rate.

Hard to know if Goody has a good game plan. But if the players aren't following it, for what ever reason, then he's not a good coach.

I reckon hes a s**t coach, but this 100% of the blame lays with him nonsense has to stop.

Congrats on the Win you lot.

I am just asking about Harley bennell. I just looked at his stats and he got 6 kicks and 8 hand passes.

Did he play a full game? Or was he injured in the 2nd half? I didnt watch the game

the reason I asked is we all know he had 4 injury riddled seasons at freo.

Looking at his 4 years at Freo and at Peel (Freos ressies side in the WAFL)

2016: one Peel game late in the season.

2017: 4 Peel games to get his fitness up. he then played 2 dockers games late in the season.

2018: played 11 WAFL games.

2019 played 5 WAFL before breaking down with injury.

If its true that Harley Bennell played a full AFL game, then Freos Medical staff and the Strength and Conditoning staff should be sacked.

Wrapped with Trac honestly, he's one guy who I questioned heavily last year of if he wants it enough but hes put that doubt completely to bed with me. The rest of the list need to take his lead. Not sure many others want it as much as he does.

He's got captaincy written all over him. I'd pull trigger as early as next year honestly. Won't happen though, but it should.

I am just asking about Harley bennell. I just looked at his stats and he got 6 kicks and 8 hand passes.

Did he play a full game? Or was he injured in the 2nd half? I didnt watch the game

2017: 4 Peel games to get his fitness up. he then played 2 dockers games late in the season.

If its true that Harley Bennell played a full AFL game, then Freos Medical staff and the Strength and Conditoning staff should be sacked.
He was managed for time but seems to have gotten through ok .

Frustrating, infuriating but so predictable.

As soon as Garry Lyon started supporting carlton at half time you knew it was going to happen.

Good - bennell getting through, rivers looks a star, Jackson did a lot right to show he might be alright. Petracca will end 2020 as one of leagues best players, I have no doubt on that.

Bad- wtf happened after half time? Of course carlton were going to bounce back, all teams do.. the 2 junk goals were frustrating but that second half was disgusting. Gawn is a champ but he needs to muscle up when he's getting beaten up. Fight back! McDonald, lever, may are 3 of our highest paid players and I would say they are not earning their money at all.

Ugly, this season is going to be hard to deal with short quarters and rules etc, so expect some bumps and unpredictability, but that was ugly. Also singing song without captain and 4 players. Wtf

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Steven May was crap, gotta be one of the worst contracts in the league right now.
Seeing him get his much vaunted 'proper run at it' was concerning viewing. He had essentially zero presence down back and you'd not have known anyone was organising things back there. Indictment on the Suns that he was a captain. Rivers was the only one who rebounded, and May spent half the day without a matchup.

He played a “full” game albeit well managed to play under 70 percent. I wouldn’t sack your strength and conditioning staff just yet - the comments around his comeback involve him having some pretty radical surgery, so if he goes okay then the surgeons get some credit too. But he got through, played okay (no diary moments but okay) so I’m pretty pleased about that aspect.

Positives
Not many teams can put the cue in the rack at 1/4 time and do "just enough" with such incredible precision.
Pretty stoked that this COVID thing happened otherwise I would have gone to the game and sat through it. That's a positive for sure.
There's Calrton fans feeling worse than us right now. Their team had heaps more experience and still couldn't beat us.
No injuries, good debuts, Spargo to come in, Bennell.
Derwayne- "Carlton need a safe word", that was gold.

How were we so good against top 4 sides in 2017 with the same coach and a significantly worse list? Was it the absence of Gawn? Bring back Pedo?

I’m seriously starting to think it was because we had blokes playing key forward who actually know what their doing there (hogan & even pedo)

I like jackson & think he’s going to be a serious footballer but surely right now Weid has to be better than him playing key forward.. SURELY

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

TMac is the huge elephant in the room. Honestly the chances of him being goalless today were better than the chances of him hitting the scoreboard. Not that Fritsch covered himself in glory and his goal kicking is a real worry but we’re wasting TMac as a footy player. There’s no doubt he’s a jet but he’s possibly never going to show it as a forward again
My thoughts exactly he hasn't been good for a forward for a while. All I remember him doing was giving away a free and a meh kick in the last quarter. We talk about cartons rubbish forward line (which is true) but our forward line isn't much chop either. Even when we dominated where was tmac?

After half time I honestly thought we would lose. We just didn't look like scoring, we were lucky petracca took the initiative and saw an open square and decided to score himself. We should have at least won by 20 points but our lack of ability to score is really concerning. Will be back later for more of my thoughts.

I’m seriously starting to think it was because we had blokes playing key forward who actually know what their doing there (hogan & even pedo)

I like jackson & think he’s going to be a serious footballer but surely right now Weid has to be better than him playing key forward.. SURELY

It’s an indication of Weideman’s development that Jackson was picked ahead of him.

Hogan barely played in 2017, and was average when he did. TMac needs to be repurposed.

what’s so frustrating about today is that we clearly lifted in those last four minutes andstarted hitting targets and taking marks again. They did the bare minimum required to win the game but there’s no reason the effort couldn’t have been there for four quarters other than mental issues.

It’s an indication of Weideman’s development that Jackson was picked ahead of him.

Come on, if they think that why the hell didn’t they trade him last year? They just have to bloody play Weid & give him a solid crack at it.. We need to work out if he can play or not surely

Bennell only played 50% of the game on the ground. Seems a huge risk to play someone and know that you will manage them to the point that you’re almost a player down. Can’t do that again next week.

And surprisingly, Brayshaw only played 69% on the field (for reference, Viney, Oliver, Petracca were all in the 80s)..

Only 4 of our players took a single contested mark, except Petracca who took 2. Gawn took zero. (Carlton took more than double the contested marks as us)

Even after saying Gawn got bullied in the second half, he still comfortably “won” the hit outs (34-26), but we pretty much only drew clearances and centre clearances. Such a common theme, such a common thing that Goodwin hasn’t addressed it.

someone said above that “Goodwin can’t kick short instead of bombing it”... that’s literally what he CAN control. The gameplay and tactics are on him. Clearly we were directionless in that second half, and particularly last quarter.
gawns interview after the game said it all. He didn’t know what else we could have done...
Jesus Christ.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back