Review Dees v Big Jack's Hacks: the Good, Bad & Chernobyl

Remove this Banner Ad

It looks like Harmes was given the POV cam by the media dept to capture the post match footage for the all important social media posts. His enthusiasm coupled with media **** Brayshaws desperation to be visible, and social distancing confusion caused the false start to the club song. Highlights where priorities may lie for some. Poor effort.

We could win all the way through to the GF and a player would get diagnosed with covid and we'd subsequently forfeit the game.
If there's a positive from yesterday it's that it should keep us out of prime time when the fixture is extended in a week or two, can only imagine the humiliation if we'd played like we did yesterday on a Thursday.

It looks like Harmes was given the POV cam by the media dept to capture the post match footage for the all important social media posts. His enthusiasm coupled with media **** Brayshaws desperation to be visible, and social distancing confusion caused the false start to the club song. Highlights where priorities may lie for some. Poor effort.

Unless it's the casting couch, I have zero interest in any POV cameras.

I wouldn't mind an ugly win like yesterday if we had any recent form, but since this was our first win of the season against one of the worst sides in the modern era it does make it feel very meh. Please Melbourne, do something to get me excited over the next couple of weeks so I can feel hopeful again.

If I was lacking motivation to follow this season before this round, its now well and truly confirmed. Play as many kids as possible and try to yield something from this farcical season.

I wouldn't mind an ugly win like yesterday if we had any recent form, but since this was our first win of the season against one of the worst sides in the modern era it does make it feel very meh. Please Melbourne, do something to get me excited over the next couple of weeks so I can feel hopeful again.
Theres ugly wins and then there is being outplayed for basically 3 quarters by a s**t team. We have 53 inside midfielders and one of the best rucks in the comp and we got smashed in the middle aswell.

Goodwin has absolutely no ability to adapt mid game, i actually like the list, but yhe game plan is shot and we have no agility in the box.

Apparently in the rooms they sang the song before Max or the two debutants got there....

******* MFC
Saw it on the replay. Gawn, Hunt, Langdon & Tomlinson arrived just as they finished the song.

We have no plan B and the game plan only works when the opposition is inept.

The players have no idea what to do when things aren't working. I think Goodwin actually just kept saying do the same thing and it will be like the 1st quarter.

Play man on man for quarter, throw Harmes in the guts, do something. Not only is the overall philosophy of the game plan is flawed but the lack of in game adaptability and basically no tactics is pretty clear out there.

I know may shanked a few kick ins but we're so bad at providing options in that situation. Other teams try to create pockets of space for players to lead into to get an uncontested mark. Our entire strategy is everyone stand still, then bomb down the line to Gawn.
Yeah. Our strategy to kick out of the back line was obviously thought up by the same guy who devised our strategy for kicking into the forward line.

I just think goody is too soft, too much of a 'nice guy' to get 22 alpha males to stand to attention. the club song sans a few players was extremely embarrassing and (to me anyway) shows a team that isn't tight-knit.

I know we don’t agree on Goodwin.

I don’t feel the players are Neeld era, these guys have talent Neeld just had a makeshift team that he couldn’t coach at all.

I know your thoughts on Goodwin, but what are your thoughts on the playing group and how much responsibility should they take in a performance like that?

well as I said, I only watched half the highlights :)

its hard to totally disentangle the two which is I think the point you are trying to make.

we clearly have a stunning lack of on field leadership and belief that would make it easy to choke - I’ve said that quite a bit and was always one of my criticisms of Jones. In quarter adjustments and so on probably belong to on fieldleadership

I think players from the Neeld era have a mental fragility that will never be corrected

BUT a coach as a leader and manager is supposed to asses the capacity of the team in terms of talent, and drive and give them tasks and vary the degree of freedom and management attention accordingly (eg motovated and good, just set the boundary conditions, inexperienced then more prescriptive).Goodwin, along with a complete lack of ditectuin and gameplan has not been able to acheive this.

I manage teams of 10-15 people in pretty high pressure environment, and I form them anew every 3-9 months. You always start of with a game plan and need to adjust, and you need to adjust people’s roles for their strengths, experience And motivation as you go through it.

The worst managers set a plan and execute it bloody mindlely - burning the team, usually delivering the wrong or sub standard results and demotivating everyone. This is why some managers and coaches get a good result from seemingly mid level teams, and some managers waste seemingly strong teams

Goodwin for me definitely is a poor manager

make sense?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Agree with those who say Goodwin is too busy trying to be mates with all the players. Reckon the playing group love him and he is too afraid to put them offside by being hard on them. Messaging out of the club has been poor since final siren yesterday, haven’t seen anyone acknowledge we played like s**t and need to lift the bar dramatically to go anywhere in 2020.

I can tell I'm gonna hate Langdon, he's an outside version of Dom Tyson. Horrible horrible user of the footy, everytime he kicks it I wait for it to inevitably go 5m over or short of the target

I still think he’s best 22 and will be solid for us but he’s basically ANB except he can regularly get 25+ disposals.

well as I said, I only watched half the highlights :)

its hard to totally disentangle the two which is I think the point you are trying to make.

we clearly have a stunning lack of on field leadership and belief that would make it easy to choke - I’ve said that quite a bit and was always one of my criticisms of Jones. In quarter adjustments and so on probably belong to on fieldleadership

I think players from the Neeld era have a mental fragility that will never be corrected

BUT a coach as a leader and manager is supposed to asses the capacity of the team in terms of talent, and drive and give them tasks and vary the degree of freedom and management attention accordingly (eg motovated and good, just set the boundary conditions, inexperienced then more prescriptive).Goodwin, along with a complete lack of ditectuin and gameplan has not been able to acheive this.

I manage teams of 10-15 people in pretty high pressure environment, and I form them anew every 3-9 months. You always start of with a game plan and need to adjust, and you need to adjust people’s roles for their strengths, experience And motivation as you go through it.

The worst managers set a plan and execute it bloody mindlely - burning the team, usually delivering the wrong or sub standard results and demotivating everyone. This is why some managers and coaches get a good result from seemingly mid level teams, and some managers waste seemingly strong teams

Goodwin for me definitely is a poor manager

make sense?

Yeah all good points, still think the players in your view are getting it easy. Coach can make changes but the players need to own it.

Who is left from the Neeld era, Gawn Jetta and Jones? All better themselves after Neeld left. But there seems to be something intrinsically engraned in the club to be continually be satisfied with mediocre results.

I managed a team of of similar numbers to you, but football is a different beast. I coach my own local footy side as well - it’s not easy making changes mid quarter to drastically change the corse of a game. Something you rely heavily on your leaders.

But I think we agree leadership from the coach and the players on field are not great and is probably why we continue to be an average football team.

What's funny is you're easily able to use one of Goody's catch phrase against him after that slop yesterday "we want to play a brand our supporters can identify and be proud of"....* off mate. I've been prouder of some 10 goal losses more than that win, not to the mention i was bored out of my mind for 3/4s of the game.

But because it was a win, that s**t game style and brand won't get a mention will it? Shut up and take your win peasant supporter.

I still think he’s best 22 and will be solid for us but he’s basically ANB except he can regularly get 25+ disposals.

agree. While ANB had me somewhat consider if I should begin thinking about eating my hatred/words 5 minutes into the first, the rest of the game reassured me that my stance that we never ever win a prelim with the likes of ANB in the best 22 remains spot on.

I thought Ed provided much more liveliness and movement than ANB ever does last night. He may butcher the ball, but I’d almost take that over ANB who might hit the occasional silky pass, but as soon as any pressure is on, he goes to water.
Has he ever kicked a critical goal? Because I can list at least 10 critical mosses he’s had in the past few years..

To be honest, I was dearp down hoping Carlton would hit the front when they had their set shots. Both from the point of view that I thought it was our only chance to get motivated to fight back, but also to see if we have any heart and fight back. Shattered we didn’t get to find out.

Instead we got gifted a win by, what, 4 easy misses by Carlton in the last 10mins? I maintain that while we were gifted 4 points, Carlton effectively won that game.
By that I mean, clearly neither team is playing finals, so considering that, they got much more out of that game than we did.

But in saying that, we were running around like we had won a final against good opposition after the game, from Gawns “a win is a win and we’ll take it“ to belting out the song without a fifth of the team and Goodwin taking so many positives out of it.
Take all the positives out of it mate, but when speaking to the media, please don’t blow smoke up the arses of these clowns.
And I stand by my assertion that the bloke must be going through a breakdown or something with regards to his always teary, emotional eyes and lack of expression during quarters..

Yesterdays match just reminded me of how much a toll supporting Melbourne takes on your mental health, definitely the most angry and stressed I've felt over the last two months during these covid restrictions, and during that time I've dealt with potential job loss.

There's definitely a disconnect between the players and coaches and the emotions of supporters, but that's not exclusive of us as a club, just makes you think.

Go dees.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back