Review Dees v Bloods: the Good, Bad & Fugly - Rd 21, 2018

Remove this Banner Ad

I agree, and why is Garry any more of a flog than anyone else? Including us? Is it just because if a few people say it enough, then everyone says it? Just like David King is a flog, regardless of whether what he's saying might be correct? I'm a bit over this whole labelling of people as "flogs for life" thing. People have no chance for redemption if they make a mistake in the footy world. And really, what's Garry done to us? Chosen the wrong coach as part of a committee once?
I love Gaz!

But also, I love lamp!

I agree with this - except I think it is probably massively broken. But otherwise this is how I've felt all year homeboi
But it can’t be massively broken, IMO. Otherwise it would happen more often, and for longer, and we’d be getting pumped by 10+ goals by the good sides, or losing 100-120 every week. No?

Certainly fair points, but I'm just not sure we can have the best offence as well as one of the best defences in the league with the current game plan. If we are going to be as offensive as we are, we really need to be kicking massive scores every week because our defence isn't going to be good enough if we don't. I'm thinking we can either improve our conversion of forward entries into goals against the good teams or if this isn't possible we will have to take some of the offence away to strengthen our defensive positioning.

Personally I'd prefer the latter because I don't think players are capable of the amount of running required to execute our current plan, every week, for 6 months. It seems that really good defensive teams (like Hawthorn and Richmond) are going to be more capable of hammering us on the rebound than we are of outscoring them. No doubt you may be right and we can fix the two way running issue enough to go to the next level, but no matter which way we look at it something has to be addressed.
I agree with all. I think history shows you need a strong contested and defensive game to succeed in finals.

i ment right at the moment we dont have any. obviously with Lever and Hibberd back no need for TMac to go back. A bad 12 months or a few bad games doesnt mean he wasnt a really good defender. Lets be real he was pretty ******* good for how easy the ball came in. i just reckon if you were every gonna swing him back it should have already happened. we don't even move him back when the other team kicks 7 in a row. All of it doesnt matter now with Hogan going down but **** me if you got a bloke who can play both ends use it to your advantage. McGovern/Hooker and whoever else still get swung forward or back when its needed we just sit on the same ******* gameplan changing nothing when the other team gets a run on
Yeah, fair enough

But it can’t be massively broken, IMO. Otherwise it would happen more often, and for longer, and we’d be getting pumped by 10+ goals by the good sides, or losing 100-120 every week. No?

To me it feels massive cause it feels like a fundamental issue with our structure / game plan rather than a thing we can fix with a tweak

If I had a car that just stopped for 30 minutes every time I got to a hill/mountain I would consider it massively Broken, it’s central not just the Tyres!

(It’s at lest the fuel system which is a big job)

Anyway we mostly agree and that’s what I’m going to focus on. It’s going to be a rough couple of weeks!

EDITED to remove too many exclamation marks

Last edited:
Garry Lyon on Sen today "I was expecting to see a fight to the death attitude from my side given where they were. I saw a passive acceptance of Sydney kicking the ball to whoever they wanted, wherever they wanted, and once again, they gave up seven goals in a row. That’s the disappointment right there"

Suddenly I remember that Roos and co went brought in a bunch of guys who were pure competitors to make this part of our culture, and it was working in 2016 and 2017 when we pulled out some great wins, but we didn't have consistency. I haven't seen that level of competitiveness in the big games this year, what happened to those guys? Did we melbourne them? Feels like we are very mechanical in big games and lack the do or die attitude Garry describes there. It's too bad Bugg psychologically wrecked himself by punching that bloke last year, because he was a player like that.

To me it feels massive cause it feels like a fundamental issue with our structure / game plan rather than a thing we can fix with a tweak

If I had a car that just stopped for 30 minutes every time I got to a hill/mountain I would consider it massively Broken, it’s central not just the Tyres!

(It’s at lest the fuel system which is a big job)

Anyway we mostly agree and that’s what I’m going to focus on. It’s going to be a rough couple of weeks!

EDITED to remove too many exclamation marks

Disagree, we only need tweaking. The issue is we play in 4th game the entire game, which can be fixed quite easily IMO.

Look at Port they are ranked very low in cleareances and contested ball yet have some of the highest stoppage numbers per game, and some of the lowest scoring games on average....that is a fundamental flaw IMO.

Sides want to play like we do, a front half game, the alternative is to play the ball in your back half which doesn't work. It's a lot harder to be a good contested/clearence team than it is to work on forward half structure.

Disagree, we only need tweaking. The issue is we play in 4th game the entire game, which can be fixed quite easily IMO.

Look at Port they are ranked very low in cleareances and contested ball yet have some of the highest stoppage numbers per game, and some of the lowest scoring games on average....that is a fundamental flaw IMO.

Sides want to play like we do, a front half game, the alternative is to play the ball in your back half which doesn't work. It's a lot harder to be a good contested/clearence team than it is to work on forward half structure.

Hope you are right - but it seems to me if you cant fix it within a 6 month season its more than a tweak.
Not arguing on the front half back half part of your post

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hope you are right - but it seems to me if you cant fix it within a 6 month season its more than a tweak.
Not arguing on the front half back half part of your post

Maybe I’m a bit optimistic haha. Like the positive I take with levers injury it will make all our backs better without him, when he is back next year it will be an even better back line.

Feels like we're just on the brink of a genuine tilt, but not quite.
Instead of having a tilt we are more closely related to the poker term of being 'on tilt' such is our performance.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back