Review Dees v Bloods: the Good, Bad & Fugly - Rd 21, 2018

Remove this Banner Ad

I hate his crap, read the comment and don't just say stupid s**t about who said it. Doesn't change whether what he said was right or wrong
I agree, and why is Garry any more of a flog than anyone else? Including us? Is it just because if a few people say it enough, then everyone says it? Just like David King is a flog, regardless of whether what he's saying might be correct? I'm a bit over this whole labelling of people as "flogs for life" thing. People have no chance for redemption if they make a mistake in the footy world. And really, what's Garry done to us? Chosen the wrong coach as part of a committee once?

Personally I see it as a matter of maturity and experience, rather than not learning from mistakes. We're fighting games out and wrestling back momentum instead of letting teams run over us which is a huge step. That tells me belief is growing
Agree with this - progress is never linear or consistent with other builds.

It's just ******* frustrating!!

I agree, and why is Garry any more of a flog than anyone else?
I saw a small child ask him for some loose change at my tram stop and he told him to * off.

He also rooted his best mate's ex-wife.

He hosted the footy show, picked Mark Neeld, and hangs out with Damien Barrett.

I put 50 on that too, as well as 50 on swans to win by 25+ which was paying $8 50. Thought i was home with that one too. See we are $3 85 to miss the eight. Easy mney

You could have got $9 on Friday to miss the 8

Commiserations on the loss.

Here are the midfield frequency stats for the match. If you haven't seen one of these posts before, this is an overall summary of how often players started as one of your 5 mids at bounces.

There were 26 bounces

Harmes 23 (1w)
Jones 20 (17w, 3i)
Tyson 19 wing
Brayshaw 19
Oliver 17
Petracca 11
JKH 8 wing
Fritsch 7 wing
vandenBerg 4
Salem 2

Rucks:
Gawn 23
T.McDonald 2
Pedersen 1

Breakdown by Half:

1st Half - 12 Bounces

Harmes 11 (1w)
Oliver 10
Jones 9 (6w, 3i)
Brayshaw 9
Tyson 9 wing
Fritsch 5 wing
Petracca 4
JKH 3 wing

2nd Half - 16 Bounces

Harmes 12
Jones 11 wing
Tyson 10 wing
Brayshaw 10
Oliver 7
Petracca 7
JKH 5 wing
vandenBerg 4
Fritsch 2 wing
Salem 2

Notes:
- Normal structure again, with the small forwards rotating through starting off the back of the square. Jones did start there at times in the last without any noticeable structural change.
- Nice to see vandenBerg back, this was his first start since Rd 23, 2016.
- After 3 consecutive weeks of getting progressively more inside time, Tyson was back to exclusively wing
- Salem's first appearance as an inside mid in analysed games since Rd 5
- First time Petracca has finished in the top 6 in analysed games since Rd 5
- Fritsch's wing starts in the 2nd half were confined to the opening minute of Q4

Hehehe, nice to see Jacko in the rooms before the game. Pity we lost :(

Jako1.png

I saw a small child ask him for some loose change at my tram stop and he told him to **** off.

... But why is he more of a flog than anyone else?

I feel terrible saying it, and not our worst today by any means, but....Nathan Jones, you've been a warrior by my god, your field kicking/disposal in general has just gone to absolute s**t the second half of this year. :(
Yes. It really has and it’s bloody worrying, and sad. At this rate he won’t get to take us back to finals because he’ll be out of the side on form :(

I saw a small child ask him for some loose change at my tram stop and he told him to **** off.

I saw him down in inverloch when I was a young fella and I chased him down the street when he was with his son with a slab on me shoulder yelling GAZZZZZZA. I'd tell campaigners to * off if I was him aswell.
Point is though every single media person is labelled a flog by everyone on Bigfooty, it's completely irrelevant and makes it impossible to discuss anything.

Gaz is one of the best special comments people in the business and David King is the only person in the media who doesn't just repeat the buzz saying of the week. He shows how defences set up and actually backs it up with vision. Why someone's judging of his character who's never met him should come into it is beyond me.

I saw him down in inverloch when I was a young fella and I chased him down the street when he was with his son with a slab on me shoulder yelling GAZZZZZZA. I'd tell campaigners to **** off if I was him aswell.
Point is though every single media person is labelled a flog by everyone on Bigfooty, it's completely irrelevant and makes it impossible to discuss anything.

Gaz is one of the best special comments people in the business and David King is the only person in the media who doesn't just repeat the buzz saying of the week. He shows how defences set up and actually backs it up with vision. Why someone's judging of his character who's never met him should come into it is beyond me.

I love listening to kingy talking tactics, he is ahead of anyone else in the media.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Thank you, perfectly sums up our efforts against good football teams. We are just so wasteful. On the one hand it's good we win enough of the ball to be a threat, but we simply don't have it between the ears to use it.
I’m not convinced the attacking stuff is the issue. In all of those games except Port we kicked what would often be a winning score.

It’s the runs of 6 and 7 goals conceded, where the entire team seems to forget defensive transition, get out of position and or the zone breaks down in some other way, and we can’t correct it mid-quarter, that I think is the major reason we aren’t a top 2 side right now.

I maintain that defence (note, not just limited to the back six) is our biggest issue. And I contest that it’s not massively broken, but that it does break down for a period in most games, particularly against good sides. We need to fix that, and I’m pretty confident we will fix that at some stage, as the coaches work it out and the players perfect their execution.

It may not be this year though, unfortunately.

I’m not convinced the attacking stuff is the issue. In all of those games except Port we kicked what would often be a winning score.

It’s the runs of 6 and 7 goals conceded, where the entire team seems to forget defensive transition, get out of position and or the zone breaks down in some other way, and we can’t correct it mid-quarter, that I think is the major reason we aren’t a top 2 side right now.

I maintain that defence (note, not just limited to the back six) is our biggest issue. And I contest that it’s not massively broken, but that it does break down for a period in most games, particularly against good sides. We need to fix that, and I’m pretty confident we will fix that at some stage, as the coaches work it out and the players perfect their execution.

I agree with this - except I think it is probably massively broken. But otherwise this is how I've felt all year homeboi

I love listening to kingy talking tactics, he is ahead of anyone else in the media.
yeah you can tell Kingy really loves footy and studying the game. he always comes up with something different to the usual narrative. I like him, even though he has a misguided belief in the Demons.

Despite resembling the keystone cops for most of the game we were amazingly still in this game with 4 mins to go . Then ANB with a kick to no one just was a momentum killer . Why didn’t we go man on man from their kick outs ? It was obvious what the swans were doing but still we went zone defence and let them glide through us time and again . Just dumb football , and a great day for the collective yips with some laughable attempts at goal . Hopeful rather than confident v eagles .

Despite resembling the keystone cops for most of the game we were amazingly still in this game with 4 mins to go . Then ANB with a kick to no one just was a momentum killer . Why didn’t we go man on man from their kick outs ? It was obvious what the swans were doing but still we went zone defence and let them glide through us time and again . Just dumb football , and a great day for the collective yips with some laughable attempts at goal . Hopeful rather than confident v eagles .

They way they picked apart our zone all day was the most damning thing about the game. We just didn't make any changes to counter it and the fact we stuck with it until the death was absurd. We needed to force a contest and a turnover yet there were all our players guarding space with 4 minutes to go and 2 goals down.

... But why is he more of a flog than anyone else?
Was an offhand comment mate, I really don't care about Lyon one way or the other.

Having said that, literally telling a child to * off when they're trying to scab 50 cents for a train ticket or can of coke of whatever... not hard to say "sorry kid, I've got no coins". Was a little bit floggish.

Fair enough.

I have no idea what shows David King or Garry Lyon are on. I'm not exposed to a much AFL media outside of bigfooty and a handful of gameday telecasts, do have a pretty low tolerance for Wheatley, Darcy, Sam McLure, Campbell Brown and BT though...

yeah you can tell Kingy really loves footy and studying the game. he always comes up with something different to the usual narrative. I like him, even though he has a misguided belief in the Demons.

If our club believes in ourselves half as much as Kingy we would be top 4 :p

Well done Goodwin. Pick on one of our only good players today, because he's not your favourite. Frost was unbelievable so many times today, of course Buddy will have opportunities. Nobody can stop that. Not a single mention of any other player in that presser.

Yeah, because it just happens. You have no idea.
You’re gonna look very silly when it does mate

TMac was that defender we robbed Peter to pay Paul. its been a problem since he went forward. yeah its all good to be more attacking and have a forward ave 3 goals but i reckon our defense leaks more than 3 a game from not having a defender who can read the ball and mark it. Aliir Aliir killed us yet we have nothing like it. Every good team has at least 2 really good readers and markers we have 0. but i said all this like 2 months ago and got shot down by every campaigner.
Lever and Hibs.

Possibly after Hibs goes down, they should have considered putting tmac back.

But recall that he wasn’t really in great form for about 12 months as a defender before going forward.

Certainly fair points, but I'm just not sure we can have the best offence as well as one of the best defences in the league with the current game plan. If we are going to be as offensive as we are, we really need to be kicking massive scores every week because our defence isn't going to be good enough if we don't. I'm thinking we can either improve our conversion of forward entries into goals against the good teams or if this isn't possible we will have to take some of the offence away to strengthen our defensive positioning.

Personally I'd prefer the latter because I don't think players are capable of the amount of running required to execute our current plan, every week, for 6 months. It seems that really good defensive teams (like Hawthorn and Richmond) are going to be more capable of hammering us on the rebound than we are of outscoring them. No doubt you may be right and we can fix the two way running issue enough to go to the next level, but no matter which way we look at it something has to be addressed.

Lever and Hibs.

Possibly after Hibs goes down, they should have considered putting tmac back.

But recall that he wasn’t really in great form for about 12 months as a defender before going forward.
i ment right at the moment we dont have any. obviously with Lever and Hibberd back no need for TMac to go back. A bad 12 months or a few bad games doesnt mean he wasnt a really good defender. Lets be real he was pretty ******* good for how easy the ball came in. i just reckon if you were every gonna swing him back it should have already happened. we don't even move him back when the other team kicks 7 in a row. All of it doesnt matter now with Hogan going down but * me if you got a bloke who can play both ends use it to your advantage. McGovern/Hooker and whoever else still get swung forward or back when its needed we just sit on the same ******* gameplan changing nothing when the other team gets a run on

Remove this Banner Ad

Back