Review Dees v Bombers - the Good, Bad & Fugly.

Remove this Banner Ad

That first half had me wishing we had Weid in their- at least someone to bring the ball to ground would have been nice. Bailey doesn’t want any piece of a pack mark attempt.

It was ugly, but good to get the four points. Unfortunately until we figure out the front line that’s how our games are probably going to look- we’ll have to scrap, claw and fight for every goal attempt.

May and Lever were pretty massive. Spargo would be a fan favorite in Philly- all heart and effort.

Wasn't going to bring it up but * it. Yeah we got the rub of the green but it swings in roundabouts. I remember a game in 2003 Dean Rioli kicked a goal in the last to put the bombers 2 goals up a straight after Lloyd took a dive and a got another shot at goal from the square which killed the game. Essendon probably still win we were rubbish but that's football. Plenty of games Essendon have had favourable umpiring but the sook as I'd they are constantly hard done by.

Wasn't going to bring it up but fu** it. Yeah we got the rub of the green but it swings in roundabouts. I remember a game in 2003 Dean Rioli kicked a goal in the last to put the bombers 2 goals up a straight after Lloyd took a dive and a got another shot at goal from the square which killed the game. Essendon probably still win we were rubbish but that's football. Plenty of games Essendon have had favourable umpiring but the sook as I'd they are constantly hard done by.

I thought the umpires were s**t yesterday too, and I also felt we were mostly the beneficiaries. But nothing anywhere near as game changing as that Crows deliberate.

Umpires have a s**t job. Don't envy it one bit. A team could kick 5.12, more I50s, 100 turnovers and lose by a kick and the supporters would find a way to blame the umpires. The HTB rule is dogshit but it has been for yonks and it is the same for everyone. There's no supporter base you'd expect this amount of carry on from more than the bombers though. Insufferable campaigners

Not even a Melbourne fan but does anyone care what any fans of those arm jabbers think anymore ? Their clubs forever tainted. Who gives a toss what any fans of that rubble think. Now they cheer on a bloke like Stringer. You couldn't make it up.
Afl missed a real opportunity to disband that shonky club a few years back.

Good:
- Trac kicking goals when we needed them.
- Lever, May, Rivers
- we got some amazingly clean centre clearances in the first half (Bad - we didn’t kick any goals from them.

Bad:
- IMO We’ve become obsessed with protecting our reputation as a great defence and are playing s**t, boring football with extra numbers behind the ball. Trac even referenced ‘playing skinny’ and going along the boundary line as a key to holding on to the win in his post match interview.
Pretty obvious we’re deliberately playing wide, constantly it’s May chipping to Salem hard on the boundary and then trying to chip pass our way along the boundary. We’re capable of attacking so much quicker and directly and with our forward line we need to.
This brand of s**t footy is the reason we can’t put inferior teams away.

UGLY:
- Goalkicking. FFS
- Bombers fans. See the snoozer in the crowd even complaining like he wanted a free kick because Trac clapped at him? Pathetic

Good- Winning ugly is far superior to losing ugly, back half were good after being dogshit for a month. The Essendon supporters melting down is great fun.

Bad- Ball use

Fugly- Forward half, concerns with the blokes that played and the ones that didn’t

Might have been mentioned but I thought petracca in that third quarter was electric. 10 touches and 2 goals, plus he set one up.

In hindsight, Essendon probably played really well and had a genuine crack. They were unlucky with a couple of decisions but that's happened to us this year as well. They learned nothing off Collingwood/Adelaide as they got us on the switch well, but kept kicking it high and long hoping for hooker to mark it. May and lever had a field day.

Wish Gus could keep playing like that every week. Was really solid. Hunt too.

Spargo is such a valued player, but other than him, our forward pressure was ordinary. Stafford would want to get them all together and work on seperation, because we aren't going far if we rely on 6 goals out of 9 a week to come from midfielders.

Good: we looked wobbly and not really in the zone but got the 4 points. That was what I was after. May I thought was excellent.

Ugly: maybe it is because people are hiding behind a username, but it literally amazes me that adult people on BF make such dicks of themselves complaining about umpire “cheating” every single time they lose. I actually get embarrassed reading that stuff

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The fact they're all screaming for missed HTB decisions, easily lost contested possession and had more tackles just says they were second to the ball more often than not. You're always going to get the rib of the green being first to the footy

The fact they're all screaming for missed HTB decisions, easily lost contested possession and had more tackles just says they were second to the ball more often than not. You're always going to get the rib of the green being first to the footy

We played really well in the contest and they gave away some obvious brainless frees so you can hardly be surprised we won the free kick count.

Thought we got a pretty decent run on 50/50s and I’d have been spewing about the Harmes and Petracca HTB calls if I’d been a Dons fan.

We played really well in the contest and they gave away some obvious brainless frees so you can hardly be surprised we won the free kick count.

Thought we got a pretty decent run on 50/50s and I’d have been spewing about the Harmes and Petracca HTB calls if I’d been a Dons fan.
Agree totally. I was fuming about the missed HTB on Keays on Adelaide, and the non deliberate. But we were outplayed for the majority of that game and missed opportunities of our own. Umpire blaming for losses is rarely justifiable. Closest you get is a game under a kick and a decision in the goal square dying seconds. Lions Cats earlier this year is one. Particularly when the AFL come out and says they got it wrong. Even then, as has been said umpires will never have a perfect game. Neither will either side

What was the second 50M penalty for?
Ump told him to move out the protected area, he just stood there. Was definitely there, doesn't matter if JJ wasn't there yet, ump told him to do something and he ignored it.

Good: we looked wobbly and not really in the zone but got the 4 points. That was what I was after. May I thought was excellent.

Ugly: maybe it is because people are hiding behind a username, but it literally amazes me that adult people on BF make such dicks of themselves complaining about umpire “cheating” every single time they lose. I actually get embarrassed reading that stuff

My only gripe with Umpires is that it seems quite a few are part time. I think that would help the game be better adjudicated if they switched to being full time only. And paid accordingly. There will still be howlers though, just like players make mistakes, because they are human.

The cheating part is ridiculous though.

I feel like now they are miked up, they don't yell enough to ensure players can hear them. I swear half of them were giving calls from 30m away and just talking normally

I actually hope Melbourne win the flag. Quite like you guys.
But geez, you'd have to hope you don't lose a final with some questionable calls against you. There'd have to be minimal sympathy coming your way.
We've actually had quite a decent run with the officiating most of the year, but you lads got a gifted run tonight.

Best of luck moving forward.
You set up very well defensively. Would like to see your boys take the game on a little bit more when the opportunity presents itself.

We still would have won.

The rest of the comp would have looked on this game with interest. The key to beating this Essendon juggernaut has finally been revealed - you have to make it to at least 3rd gear.

None of us can sit here feeling comfortable after the last couple of weeks. Thank f*** we have points in the bank because we are stuck in neutral atm. Would rather win than lose obviously but last 2 weeks are really concerning. We need an easy kill and a 4 quarter performance to hopefully spark us up for a tough few months ahead.

I don't know about this, our trend this year.

Easy kill = not turn up and stumble over the line/lose
Tough match = turn up with a bloody good performance

.... it's frustrating as anything.

There isn't a single game against lowly opposition we've dominated from the start, yet we haven't lost to a team in the 8.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back