Review Dees v Bombers - the Good, Bad & Fugly.

Remove this Banner Ad

Already happened tonight, but appreciate your concern.

Was this your grand final or something mate?

Far out, your boys didn't even deserve to win - we controlled the game and you could barely score. The only reason we didn't win by 5+ goals is missing some easy opportunities.

The rest of the comp would have looked on this game with interest. The key to beating this Essendon juggernaut has finally been revealed - you have to make it to at least 3rd gear.

All jokes aside, when are we going to find the Sports Mode button? Q1 against the Dogs and the second half against Brisbane had it, but we need it more. We only have 8 games until finals and some really tough matchups in that period.

The confidence I had in this team is eroding every week.

Good:
- Trac kicking goals when we needed them.
- Lever, May, Rivers
- we got some amazingly clean centre clearances in the first half (Bad - we didn’t kick any goals from them.

Bad:
- IMO We’ve become obsessed with protecting our reputation as a great defence and are playing sh*t, boring football with extra numbers behind the ball. Trac even referenced ‘playing skinny’ and going along the boundary line as a key to holding on to the win in his post match interview.
Pretty obvious we’re deliberately playing wide, constantly it’s May chipping to Salem hard on the boundary and then trying to chip pass our way along the boundary. We’re capable of attacking so much quicker and directly and with our forward line we need to.
This brand of sh*t footy is the reason we can’t put inferior teams away.

UGLY:
- Goalkicking. FFS
- Bombers fans. See the snoozer in the crowd even complaining like he wanted a free kick because Trac clapped at him? Pathetic
This totally hit the nail on the head. We are really boring to watch, and the defense at all costs attitude is keeping other teams in it. We are totally capable of playing fast exciting footy, let's do a bit of that.

Spargo would have to be in the top 5 tacklers in the league in terms of technique and not letting bigger and stronger players get away from him.
Stuck a few rippers again last night, the ones on Parish and Stewart spring to mind.
Great point.

As he has gotten stronger, he doesn't get pushed off as easy as he did at say 19/20. Really sticks his tackles well.

The rest of the comp would have looked on this game with interest. The key to beating this Essendon juggernaut has finally been revealed - you have to make it to at least 3rd gear.
Except Luke Darcy.

He's still talking up the bombers coming back

We played really well in the contest and they gave away some obvious brainless frees so you can hardly be surprised we won the free kick count.

Thought we got a pretty decent run on 50/50s and I’d have been spewing about the Harmes and Petracca HTB calls if I’d been a Dons fan.

Both had no prior, those don't get paid all the time.

All jokes aside, when are we going to find the Sports Mode button? Q1 against the Dogs and the second half against Brisbane had it, but we need it more. We only have 8 games until finals and some really tough matchups in that period.

The confidence I had in this team is eroding every week.
Do you really want to see that every week?

More than happy that they're only just winning.

Hide the good stuff for when we really need it. That game last night felt like a big brother fighting with his little brother, little brother had a few good swings but big brother was always gonna win. As soon as essendon really pressed, leaders stood up- gawn big pack marks, may and lever, Gus made a few good contests, hunt a big tackle etc.

I'm happier watching how they react when pressed hard because in other years we've crumbled then.

I swear as fans we are just demanding way too much. No team plays perfect footy for 20 weeks. We have GWS who will be in top 8 at the end of the day. I'm more than confident they'll play well enough to beat GWS next Saturday too.

I watched but didn't really pay attention game was sh*t. What did he do so well?
His kicking was solid which was nice, but he killed off so many contests on the wing including a bunch of great marks. I’m no great fan but he’s growing well into the role now.

Favourite Essndon supporter moment was when they called ball before Tipungwuti laid a tackle on Oliver. Oliver handballed the ball before Tippa got to him and they still howled at the umpires for not paying it. :drunk:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just wanted to say better team definitely won on the night (watching Oliver is a joy) and our bitching about the umps needs to stop (sure we got some iffy calls, but they did not decide the game).

Official review
Good:
Great defensive bounce back, was s**t vs the Pies but we were back last night. Essendon are strong offensively and we completely stifled their ball movement, they never really looked damaging and May and Lever were fantastic intercepting everything.
Brayshaw played a good game, thought he provided a bit more offensively too.
Headband bros were great, loved Hunt's game, now a matter of consistency.
Jackson is now an important and consistent player in this side, what a star.
Petracca and Sparrow's goals were clutch, just massive.

Bad:
Forward line was reminiscent of 2019, no clue. Think Ben Brown has to come in if they're confident in his body, will straighten us up a bit, hard to see how a 60 goal a year full forward is detrimental to our side like many suggest.
Kozzie was unsighted.
Really pissed with Oliver's game, kept on running around in circles giving 1m handballs to somebody standing still, hopefully just a blip on the radar for him.

Ugly:
Goalkicking was frustrating af
Essendon supporters are sooky little campaigners, stfu, good on Tracc for giving it to them.

We were out-tackled last night. Happened in the Collingwood game too.

It’s always a good intensity gauge and I’m concerned we’ve dropped off a bit now - we are moving the ball slower too.

I’d be asking the players to focus on tackling pressure around the forward line and midfield next week.

Was a bit off my head at this one with a few mates. Wasn't sober enough to discern whether the umpiring was particularly notable but picked up on the Essington fans crying about it from the first quarter. Total ******* front running cry baby behaviour from the outset. Anywho, my mate (a Hawks fan) who is a ******* legend and brought joints which helped tremendously with my hangover nausua and got me back drinking like a champ, he starts being a random footy complaints generator, yelling nonsensical stuff at the umpires at random times. Essington fans being whining morons, thought he was an ally and were all like "yeah mate" "damn right" so he keeps amping it up and we also join in, pretending to be angry derpheads too. Dumb campaigners didn't catch on that they were being mocked until right at the end of the game when they were maximum angry and our shouts had devolved into just a whole lot of this:

******* good night.

The best part about this was how some Essendon flog got out of his seat and genuinely started looking at security and pointing towards Petracca. Worth a try I suppose. :think:
That dudes sums up how Essendon supporters have been acting around here and on twitter. Weird delusions of entitlement paradoxically mixed with everything the AFL does being a conspiracy against them.

Take the win especially over them campaigners. Would’ve been better if it was by a point with a free kick after the siren

Good : Brayshaw just seemed to be in the right place at the right time. Few good grabs as well. Jayden Hunts best game for a while. The whole backline was pretty good. Trac big when we needed him. Spargo good again

Bad : Dominating general play without putting them away

Ugly: Holding the ball rule. Happy for the Harmes one to be paid but you have to pay them all.
Forward line needs major work for us to go all the way. Not Ben Browns biggest fan but if he goes ok today we have to give him a chance to prove he can work in our system.

Excellent : 6138 days since Essendon have won a final. And it’s gonna be another 400 + days till they get a chance to end that. Sucked in

Was a bit off my head at this one with a few mates. Wasn't sober enough to discern whether the umpiring was particularly notable but picked up on the Essington fans crying about it from the first quarter. Total ******* front running cry baby behaviour from the outset. Anywho, my mate (a Hawks fan) who is a ******* legend and brought joints which helped tremendously with my hangover nausua and got me back drinking like a champ, he starts being a random footy complaints generator, yelling nonsensical stuff at the umpires at random times. Essington fans being whining morons, thought he was an ally and were all like "yeah mate" "damn right" so he keeps amping it up and we also join in, pretending to be angry derpheads too. Dumb campaigners didn't catch on that they were being mocked until right at the end of the game when they were maximum angry and our shouts had devolved into just a whole lot of this:

******* good night.

This is solid work here.

Good:
Back line. Just fantastic all of them.
Both Wingers. Great running and positioning.
Winning clearances in the middle, just a pity we didn't make it hurt.
Gawns ruck to advantage was much improved over previous weeks.
Harmes, Spargo, Trac. All really good contributions.

Bad:
Umpiring
Forward 50 delivery and general forward craft. This needs to be fixed now.
Kozzie went missing
Missing easy set shots

Ugly:
Essendon supporters carrying on and blaming umpires. Yes the umpiring favoured us, but we were clearly the better team and poor kicking kept them in it.
My own positing form last night - had a few and was being a bit antagonistic. Sorry about that.

I don't feel any better about our performance after sleeping on it, it was proper slop..the only thing I enjoyed about the win were the Essendon supporters tears of unfathomable sadness.

I'm honestly more concerned than i was after the Collingwood game now being that it's two game in a row our connection forward of centre has been nothing short of disgraceful .

Just a MFCSS flare up? Possibly? But I need to see some evidence that we've turned it around before Im back to same confidence I had in us a few weeks ago.

Essendon fans today are a result of a slow 20 year death of a once proud, successful club and the ongoing delusion that they're still relevant

Perfect assessment, they are the most delude fan base in the world.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back