Review Dees v Bombers - the Good, Bad & Fugly.

Remove this Banner Ad

Good:
Lever and May were colossal.

Gawn and Jackson schooled that Joe Dirt idiot in the ruck.

Petracca set shots in the 3rd.

4 points - emotion on the day aside, winning ugly will go a long way to securing top 2/4.

Bad:
Some awful decision making - Oliver reverting to bullshit handballs, Viney dump kicking inside 50, Fritsch’s kick inside 50 in the 2nd quarter, Jackson’s bizarre goal attempt in the 2nd, Hunt playing on 50m out in the last… hopefully it’s just post bye brain fog.

Set shots - nobody in that side inspires confidence.

Ball use forward of centre was quite pox.

Fugly

Essendon fans

The familiar feeling of not putting the required score on the board with a team coming at us late in the game.

Key forward is certainly an issue, would Weideman be the last one drafted? Jackson perhaps but seems to be more of a ruckman. Seems like the club decided to the best option was to throw cast offs at it and hope for the best, I’m a fan of Fritsch but we have a big issue if he has to take the best defender every week, but I’m far from convinced BB is the answer, fingers crossed
Yep it's pretty evident we need one more tall target. Multiple times we went forward and would hesitate because we lacked a target. Even Peter Wright provided essendon with something. We badly need weid or Brown to step up and take some heat off tmac and Fritta. Well more than that really need them to take marks and score, don't need bags just a contribution. Weid looks slightly more capable bur his kicking is the stuff of nightmares.

I’ve backed in Weid for a long time but I honestly reckon mentally he just isn’t up to it. He can flog blokes in the VFL but at AFL level can’t one grab a mark ever. His set shots are also way worse than they should be considering his excellent technique.
The marking is only part of it though. He completely lacks any intensity once the ball hits the deck. There’s no second or third effort. I’m not a huge Ben Brown advocate but even he puts more effort in at ground level.

Me, I will never get over 2000 or the second quarter of the 1946 GF - even if the premiership two years later was a freebie. With Stringer in full flight, Bummers by 15. All aboard the down-bound train!
3rd quarter.

11.8 sheesh! Thanks for another new and disappointing memory MFC even though it's 75 years old.

They just releases the coaches votes and I think it's absolutely telling (and a massive credit to Goodwin if you read his post match press conference(

10 may
4 lever
4 gawn
3 Gus
3 Oliver
3 Merrett
2 heppell
1 petracca

Basically 80 possessions between 2 blokes, one of them judged not even worthy of a coaches vote.

Goodwin basically said in the post match that he was fine with Merrett and parish getting a heap of the ball, basically because they weren't hurting us.

I’ve backed in Weid for a long time but I honestly reckon mentally he just isn’t up to it. He can flog blokes in the VFL but at AFL level can’t one grab a mark ever. His set shots are also way worse than they should be considering his excellent technique.
This is more or less where I'm at too. Thought he was excellent last year when Tmac lost the plot but tired towards the end of the year - almost a break out year for him. Coming off a restricted pre season but still, he looks fit as he ever has. Just can't hold the mark and kick the goal. It's now or never for him, really.

This is more or less where I'm at too. Thought he was excellent last year when Tmac lost the plot but tired towards the end of the year - almost a break out year for him. Coming off a restricted pre season but still, he looks fit as he ever has. Just can't hold the mark and kick the goal. It's now or never for him, really.
Same. I love weedy but he has to get his head straight or he probably moves on.

None of us can sit here feeling comfortable after the last couple of weeks. Thank f*** we have points in the bank because we are stuck in neutral atm. Would rather win than lose obviously but last 2 weeks are really concerning. We need an easy kill and a 4 quarter performance to hopefully spark us up for a tough few months ahead.
Might have been mentioned but we don't want to peak in the middle of the season. We have played some exceptional football against the best teams and if we can win a few through a bit of a form slum that would be ideal. Media is always talking about the tigers doing this them hitting their peak in September. I hope this is what we are doing with perhaps a bit of extra training as we've banked so many wins so far we can afford to.

I know if this was any other team I'd be saying they're flag favourites for sure but this is my teams and also this is Melbourne.

The marking is only part of it though. He completely lacks any intensity once the ball hits the deck. There’s no second or third effort. I’m not a huge Ben Brown advocate but even he puts more effort in at ground level.
Without watching this weeks VFL I disagree with this. Weid has been incredibly disappointing but except for against Collingwood I reckon he has been more involved after the initial contest, compared with Brown.

Weid was dead to me the moment I saw him posing on Instagram with a Corona.
Yuck. He just died to me also.

Please don’t make it worse by telling me there was some piece of fruit shoved in the neck

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yuck. He just died to me also.

Please don’t make it worse by telling me there was some piece of fruit shoved in the neck

An entire pineapple. I was actually pretty impressed.

Yeah we didn't play that well. Defence of the corridor was off, too many players at the contest like years gone by and the forward line was a mess.

But backline defended very well and we still got some run out of defence with handball and used the wings well.

Brayshaw was critical, as was Tracs goals. Dons fans bemusement at the umps was classic, typical really.

We shouldn't be stoked with our scoring recently, we really need to improve. We hug the wings to limit scoring but desperately need to be more efficient going forward. Need more regulation goals and most of that is in the movement inside 50. Our leads are pretty bad. Defs don't need another key forward to fix that, just smarter movement. I.e. one player at least lead forward while the rest run to goals.

I thought our second half was a lot better with our forward play. We finally did away with bombing it aimlessly like we did against Collingwood and the first half against Ess and went back to lowering the eyes for short passes. I've no issues if we miss those short passes, we have to stick to it, otherwise teams just sit back in a defensive cluster and run our bomb kicks out of defence time and time again.

Also you're spot on about hugging the wings, I think we like to make a lot of our entries from the flanks to make it easier to defend turnover, it also means we kick a lot of points and games stay somewhat tight, yet usually in control. Also helps us reserve energy for running out games, I reckon our forward entries often set up the first part of our defence.

In saying that, we missed too many set shots against Ess, kick those and our scoring suddenly looks a lot better.

In Goody and co we trust.

They just releases the coaches votes and I think it's absolutely telling (and a massive credit to Goodwin if you read his post match press conference(

10 may
4 lever
4 gawn
3 Gus
3 Oliver
3 Merrett
2 heppell
1 petracca

Basically 80 possessions between 2 blokes, one of them judged not even worthy of a coaches vote.

Goodwin basically said in the post match that he was fine with Merrett and parish getting a heap of the ball, basically because they weren't hurting us.

I was thinking the exact same thing when early in the second they pointed out Merrett had 20 odd disposals and that we should tag him. I was like why? He's not doing anything with them them. It was a * load of junk touches and short kicks. He can be a good player but he could have had 70 and we still would have won easily. No other sport on earth cares about disposals counts.

Actually thought Oliver continued his good form and keeps pushing the ball forward. Really is looking to get us moving rather than the handball to a stationary player 2m away.
Nah watch his highlights. He was pretty pox with his decision making. I would love him to call Greg Williams or someone like that and work on his handballing outside of the ring.

I agree with Topkent and Schmutt about Oliver - and this isn’t me trying to keep the peace or anything. He was amazing at getting and moving the ball as always so thumbs up. But half the time he had space to kick or better options but spun around looking for a handball give only to gift a ******* Essendon player. Thumbs down.

I love Oliver and if he applied a bit more brain all the time he could be our best player. Sometimes I wonder if the “team player” stuff is in his head too much? If he just went with first option I reckon we could see more games like that second half against Adelaide.

I agree with Topkent and Schmutt about Oliver - and this isn’t me trying to keep the peace or anything. He was amazing at getting and moving the ball as always so thumbs up. But half the time he had space to kick or better options but spun around looking for a handball give only to gift a ******* Essendon player. Thumbs down.

I love Oliver and if he applied a bit more brain all the time he could be our best player. Sometimes I wonder if the “team player” stuff is in his head too much? If he just went with first option I reckon we could see more games like that second half against Adelaide.

My recollection was he got caught a few times HTB against the Pies and maybe it made an impact on him and he decided to go back to his usual style- ie, disposing of it the instant he gets it, regardless if it’s to a dude standing flat footed right next to him.

My recollection was he got caught a few times HTB against the Pies and maybe it made an impact on him and he decided to go back to his usual style- ie, disposing of it the instant he gets it, regardless if it’s to a dude standing flat footed right next to him.

Good call.

Someone needs to tell him we'd prefer a holding than ball then a direct turnover though!!!!

He may get caught a bit, but that's probably an overcorrection if he gets taking the game on with his legs he'll break through more times than he gets caught I'd wager.

Good call.

Someone needs to tell him we'd prefer a holding than ball then a direct turnover though!!!!

He may get caught a bit, but that's probably an overcorrection if he gets taking the game on with his legs he'll break through more times than he gets caught I'd wager.
Completely agree. Holding the ball you get time to set up defensively, direct turnover *s over everyone

Remove this Banner Ad

Back