Review Dees v Brad's Bombers: the Good, Bad & Ugly

Remove this Banner Ad

I think we’ve got a lot of plodders. Brayshaw looking pretty VFL standard. McDonald will be playing his last year. Tomlinson isn’t AFL standard and you can see the difference between him and Lever. It’s going to be a long wait until Gawn gets back.

What have we won? 9/19 from round 11 last year? Absolutely went off a cliff after that first loss to Fremantle set the rut and we’ve honestly never recovered. Tonight we lost hit outs but won all forms of clearances. Possessions virtually equal but it was our backline that was telling. They out marked us and beat us in the tackle count. Efficiency inside 50 was pretty poor, given we went in there the same as them. That’s either grubby kicking or not marking the ball. A lot to work on.

The effort inside 50 for Essendon was enormous. They were able to capitalise on no lever and May being flat. It’s showing us up having guys like Tomlinson and McDonald lumbering about with an out of form Brayshaw and Grundy getting owned by Draper.

The structure is so much better with Lever. JVR, Brown are our key forwards with Petty playing the third tall defender. Not all is lost but at least we are seeing that certain players aren’t up to it and it’s critical we get certain players back. It’s round 5. I’d rather lose 3-4 by round 12 and know what our issues are rather than last year by winning ugly and getting away with it.

I think we’ve got a lot of plodders. Brayshaw looking pretty VFL standard. McDonald will be playing his last year. Tomlinson isn’t AFL standard and you can see the difference between him and Lever. It’s going to be a long wait until Gawn gets back.

What have we won? 9/19 from round 11 last year? Absolutely went off a cliff after that first loss to Fremantle set the rut and we’ve honestly never recovered. Tonight we lost hit outs but won all forms of clearances. Possessions virtually equal but it was our backline that was telling. They out marked us and beat us in the tackle count. Efficiency inside 50 was pretty poor, given we went in there the same as them. That’s either grubby kicking or not marking the ball. A lot to work on.

The effort inside 50 for Essendon was enormous. They were able to capitalise on no lever and May being flat. It’s showing us up having guys like Tomlinson and McDonald lumbering about with an out of form Brayshaw and Grundy getting owned by Draper.

The structure is so much better with Lever. JVR, Brown are our key forwards with Petty playing the third tall defender. Not all is lost but at least we are seeing that certain players aren’t up to it and it’s critical we get certain players back. It’s round 5. I’d rather lose 3-4 by round 12 and know what our issues are rather than last year by winning ugly and getting away with it.
Gawn a genuine chance to return against Richmond according to Goodwin. So wont be a long wait.

Gawn a genuine chance to return against Richmond according to Goodwin. So wont be a long wait.
It’s round 6 so wouldn’t want him rushed. Grundy needs to be able to sort it out without Gawn. I think Draper is going to be a fairly big player over the next 5-8 years. It could be a ‘Gawn at Geelong 2015’ moment for him.

ANB. Elite endurance comes in so handy when you touch the ball 5 times a game.
McVee. How long until Salem is fit?
May. May & Lever only work well as a unit which is why May should be dropped. Hopefully Lever will be back from injury this week.
Grundy. Grundy to play at Casey where he can practice against ruckmen of similar ilk from todays game & hopefully concede less than 5 goals.
Spargo. It finally happened you ducking campaigner!
Petracca. Overrated & overhyped. Probably be listed in the best players thread despite contributing sweet FA again.
Petty. His debut game isn't looking so bad anymore.
Van Royen. Are they saying BOO? No they're saying Van ROO-yen. I was saying boo.
Viney. Duhhhhh. I'm the captain.
McDonald. If only he could play West Coast reserves every week. Maybe pick him next time we play the Hawks.
Rivers. Another player that gets comfortable once they re-sign. Keep him at Casey until his contract is up again. Then he might start playing well again.
Pickett. Needs to look Goody in the eye & tell him what his intentions for next year are. Until then play him at Casey.
Langdon. Doesn't look as dynamic without the long flowing locks. I'd be giving him a spell at Casey until his hair grows back.
Melksham. Your offsping better be a triple Brownlow medalist to warrant carrying your arse to 100 games.
Oliver. Held to 2 disposals in the first quarter. Obviously can't handle a tag. A week at Casey might do him some good.
Brayshaw. Who on Earth handed out that contract to him. Can't blame him for not trying when you've just swindled the club like that.
Chandler. Seen him play better games when he was the sub. (Unactivated)
Bowey. To think it took him 18 games before he experienced a loss. His win loss record is soon gonna rival Nathan Jones.
Sparrow. So glad were giving him more midfield minutes. 13 disposals? Well at least they were impactful right? No? Well... I like his sheets.
Fritsch. Struggled to have an impact. Two goals isnt enough from him. Needs to go back to defense.
Hunter. Should have persisted with Baker.
Jordon. Apparently the average AFL career is 5 years. This is good news because I only have to watch this dud for 2 more seasons.
Tomlinson. Only player that can hold his head high today. Why are they resigning all these overrated selfish campaigners when this guy is out of contract?

Last edited:
Tommo's desperate handball out of bounds to give Fat Boy Stringer a shot at goal was some of the worst Melbourne Demons football I've seen since Cale Morton was running away from the ball :$

Thinking about it makes me feel angry, but also quite pleasantly nostalgic also.

May. May & Lever only work well as a unit which is why May should be dropped. Hopefully Lever will be back from injury this week.
Grundy. Grundy to play at Casey where he can practice against ruckmen of similar ilk from todays game & hopefully concede less than 5 goals.
Petracca. Overrated & overhyped. Probably be listed in the best players thread despite contributing sweet FA again.
Van Royen. Are they saying BOO? No they're saying Van ROO-yen. I was saying boo.
McDonald. If only he could play West Coast reserves every week. Maybe pick him next time we play the Hawks.
Rivers. Another player that gets comfortable once they re-sign. Keep him at Casey until his contract is up again. Then he might start playing well again.
Pickett. Needs to look Goody in the eye & tell him what his intentions for next year are. Until then play him at Casey.
Langdon. Doesn't look as dynamic without the long flowing locks. I'd be giving him a spell at Casey until his hair grows back.
Melksham. Your offsping better be a triple Brownlow medalist to warrant carrying your arse to 100 games.
Oliver. Held to 2 disposals in the first quarter. Obviously can't handle a tag. A week at Casey might do him some good.
Brayshaw. Who on Earth handed out that contract to him. Can't blame him for not trying when you've just swindled the club like that.
Chandler. Seen him player better games when he was the sub. (Unactivated)
Bowey. To think it took him 18 games before he experienced a loss. His win loss record is soon gonna rival Nathan Jones.
Sparrow. So glad were giving him more midfield minutes. 13 disposals? Well at least they were impactful right? No? Well... I like his sheets.
Fritsch. Struggled to have an impact. Two goals isnt enough from him. Needs to go back to defense.
Hunter. Should have persisted with Baker.
Jordon. Apparently the average AFL career is 5 years. This is good news because I only have to watch this dud for 2 more seasons.
Tomlinson. Only player that can hold his head high today. Why are they resigning all these overrated selfish campaigners when this guy is out of contract?
Measured and fair.

I hate to say this but I'm not sure if we're as good as we think we are. In reality our only really good performance so far this year has been against the Swans. Our other two wins were more to do with our opposition being s**t than us being good.

I really don't know where we're headed for the rest of the year.

Playing guys like TMac, Brown, Tomo and Melksham wont get us anywhere. I dont get it, McVee and JVR have come into the side and are contributing more than a lot of senior players... Bring in Turner, bring in Howes, bring in Laurie. Thats how we get better.

Last edited:
Chandler. Seen him player better games when he was the sub. (Unactivated)
Hunter.
Should have persisted with Baker.

What a s**t post….

Playing guys like TMac, Brown, Tomo and Melksham wont us anywhere. I dont get it, McVee and JVR have come into the side and are contributing more than a lot of senior players... Bring in Turner, bring in Howes, bring in Laurie. Thats how we get better.
Brown and Melksham the only ones who deserves a spot. Melksham kicked 2. I think he deserves a block of footy.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Very flat performance. We just didn’t work hard enough. Essendon got so many numbers to the contest. Our defence was all over the shop. We’d want to turn that around quick.
Brayshaw needs to be dropped. We need lever. May was out of touch. Tomlinson was essentially one we needed to perform. He may have played his last game for us. Not bad going for 500k over 5 years.

Harry Power would be impressed.

And stop being so ******* stubborn with your structure, its ******* amazing, we score the most goals we had in ages against the Swans, Goody says "that was fun" in his presser, then proceeds to put an end to that fun the next week by loyally standing by has-been's and his ideal forward structure.

What a dickhead.

Tommo's desperate handball out of bounds to give Fat Boy Stringer a shot at goal was some of the worst Melbourne Demons football I've seen since Cale Morton was running away from the ball :$

Thinking about it makes me feel angry, but also quite pleasantly nostalgic also.
This was the moment I knew we weren't winning today.

Absolute scenes

Playing guys like TMac, Brown, Tomo and Melksham wont us anywhere. I dont get it, McVee and JVR have come into the side and are contributing more than a lot of senior players... Bring in Turner, bring in Howes, bring in Laurie. Thats how we get better.
I think fresh blood adds something a little special and intangible, a nice energy, maybe. I mean if you're Tomlinson and you get a game you kinda know you're there as a bookmark, and as soon as Lever or Salem are back you're going home to Casey. On the other hand those dudes like Laurie or whoever, they might get a little nervy and * up but they're presumably not gonna phone it in. They've got something to prove.

Said it before, I'd rather see some new kid get smashed than some journey man we keep on the shelf stink it up.

Brown and Melksham the only ones who deserves a spot. Melksham kicked 2. I think he deserves a block of footy.

Why? He had been awful as the sub and was gifted a game coz of Goody's ulterior motive of helping his best buddy Jake to 100 games for the club.

2 goals doesnt mean s**t, thats like saying TMac should get a block coz he kicked 4 last week against West Coast. *em both off. Both of them are too slow and are terrible defensively. Its bloody pointless. Tell me Howes and Laurie couldn't play Melksham's role just as well if not better right now.

Why? He had been awful as the sub and was gifted a game coz of Goody's ulterior motive of helping his best buddy Jake to 100 games for the club.

2 goals doesnt mean s**t, thats like saying TMac should get a block coz he kicked 4 last week against West Coast. *em both off. Both of them are too slow and are terrible defensively. Its bloody pointless. Tell me Howes and Laurie couldn't play Melksham's role just as well if not better right now.
Ok

Remove this Banner Ad

Back