Review Dees v Bulldogs: the Good, Bad & Fugly

Remove this Banner Ad

I liked the role that Tomlinson played for this game.
I thought the defense was excellent overall.

The team just switched off in that third quarter and that cost them the game.

The three missed kicks late in the fourth quarter upset me more than anything else.

It just seems that when the pressure goes up the team starts to fall apart, Melbourne are very much a 8 to 10 type side.

I will get in early,

Another disappointing loss, the reputation of a mid road side beating the bottom 8 won’t go away.

The good
Lever
May
Viney
Weid
Second quarter was our only patch we were looked like playing our brand of footy

The bad:
Mids, plenty of hype but very disappointing. Fumbled and allowed the dogs some very clean footy
Need more from Hannan spargo and kossie inside 50 at ground level

The ugly;
Got dominated at ground level. Big difference between this week and last week (opponent aside) we won heaps of footy at ground level and it allow us to score goals and at the very least defend the ground. The dogs just waltzed 50 to 50 in the third

Kicking into the man on the mark and missed some opportunities

Season isn’t done, need to beat saints and giants not just make finals but earn some respect. Lose both of those and we don’t deserve finals or respect

The Good

- May & Lever
- Weid

The Bad

- Whole midfield was rubbish, Viney, Petracca, Oliver, Brayshaw and clearly our role players couldn't step up
- Fwd line was pretty bad, but not sure if it was the mids fault or not...
- 1 horrific qtr doing the job again

The Ugly

- Petracca, one of his worst games in years - hesitant and constantly made the wrong decisions, not only that but was a witches hat defensively
- Tactics from defending kick ins/deep F50 entries, it appears we didn't know the dogs are the best coast to coast team in the AFL - I don't know if we gave them space on purpose ... but it did not work at all

Will say this, the Doggies are a strong team who are hitting some form - they've got a star midfield which runs very deep

The Good

- May & Lever
- Weid

The Bad

- Whole midfield was rubbish, Viney, Petracca, Oliver, Brayshaw and clearly our role players couldn't step up

The Ugly

- Petracca, one of his worst games in years - hesitant and constantly made the wrong decisions, not only that but was a witches hat defensively
- Tactics from defending kick ins/deep F50 entries, it appears we didn't know the dogs are the best coast to coast team in the AFL - I don't know if we gave them space on purpose ... but it did not work at all

Will say this, the Doggies are a strong team who are hitting some form - they've got a star midfield which runs very deep

Well said

Viney cracked in, but mids and preuss as a collective were found wanting

Small forwards were MIA

MFC under Goodwin bingo that was...
- 8 point game
- Goalless quarter
- pressure drop off
- s**t skills
- players go missing

Thankfully the Saints will beat us next week. Failing that, if we do make finals it will be an embarrassing exit.

Also we would be the best club in the league at A grade for one year only players. Expect Petracca to follow Tom McDonald into shitheapdom from 2021.

3 soft kills in the last 3 games against poor/undermanned opposition. Thoroughly shown up today by more organised, fitter and composed opposition. Not sure really where we are, but somewhere between Middling and Flat Track Bully probably sums us up.

Forward and midfield pressure was way off today. Can't expect to beat anyone of substance with that level of effort.

I liked Melk not getting it over the man on the mark from 20m out, and Brayshaw not getting it over the head of Caleb Daniel.

Yeah bad loss, pretty much all our usual problems on show. Still, nice to get a feel of where we're at, about 9-10th is probably right, which is pretty sad really.

We were mostly bad. Terrible defence in forward half with zero pressure on their rebounds.
Good:
- May and Lever great in defence.
- Weid's marking.
- Langdon was solid, Viney was ok.

Bad:
- Weid's kicking in the second half.
- Preuss wasted his size. Be ******* angry you dopey bastard and at least put your 100kg frame in ******* Josh Dunkley at the contest.
- burning good chances at goal. Doubt we'd have won but it kept us out of it.

Ugly:
- no forward pressure. Kozzy, Spargo, Hannan and Melk did nothing in that regard. Mids were also terrible on defence. Our zone setup was horrible and gave up so much space.
- Trac and Oliver going back into being too fancy and too panicky respectively.
- Zero outside spread or accountability. Once the ball was more than 5m from a contest we were cooked. Our mids were literally running into each other in stoppages. Terrible setup.
- Totally incapable of stopping their run in the third. For a supposedly great contested side we were bloody awful at making it a contest or slowing the game down for a few minutes.
Plenty of invisible players and terrible disposal all round.

Hopefully Sparrow isn't too badly hurt.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Melksham Can’t kick over the man of the mark.

Melksham Going over the man of the mark, giving a 50 away.

Fritsch kicking on the full, can’t even scrape a behind in.

Someone pushing a dogs player in the back during the 3rd, giving away a down the field free resulting in a goal.

moments like these Kill us every week.

Dogs transition from back 50 to forward 50 was good, but overall they weren’t that much better than us.

The dogs weren't even that impressive, that was the most disappointing thing.

We allowed them to kick easy goals in transition. Our half forwards gave nothing and their half backs mopped everything up and rebounded at will.

Mids didn't show up for large chunks of the game.

You can tell if we are on from our pressure. Wasn't there early, no leadership or grit to turn it around, same old same old.

Sucks for Sparrow and Jones but this might give us some opportunity to rebalance the team. So many times we had 2 mids tackle the same guy and the ball would flick out and the dogs were off.

Harmes has to be dropped. The guy is lost playing down back, his instincts is to hunt the ball or man and gets lost in transition almost instantly.

I'd drop Kozzie and give Bedford a go. He was flat and didnt get to the drop of the ball. Spargo at least had a dip when the ball was in his area.

Saints will pump us with a mountain of cheap goals from their runners whilst May and Lever will keep their talls quiet

As Sonny Bonds points out coaching was a big factor in this game and I agree.

When the flood of goals started that was the Coaching departments moment to at least slow down and control the game. There just did not seem to be any reaction or change. Experienced and well coached teams seem to do this. Geelong being a great example.

I think Melbourne is going to have a serious GF window in the next 2 to 3 years. But games like this make me doubt if the coaching group can get the team up for that.

The Good

- May & Lever
- Weid

The Bad

The Ugly

Agree completely with your assessment of us. Still think the dogs forwardline and backline are poor and a team with a good spine like Geelong or WC will destroy them.

The midfield is so flat track its not funny. Terrible hesitant performance from Trac, overthinking it terribly. And the kick in defence has never been great but was so so bad today. What were they thinking?

The good May by far lever was good as well that's about it.

To be honest the signs were there early they just were missing them in the first where they took their chances in the 3rd. Our inability to stop their run is embarrassing. They completely out worked us when we did manage to win the ball at stoppages they seem to win it back way to easily. Lost count of the amount of times I saw players handballing blindly or to players under pressure. No game sense in the last we needed to score and we just constantly made poor decisions. We have an 'easy' draw but to be honest Carlton deserve to make the eight a head of us.
Seeing those two dud coaches next in the end just pissed me off even more. Seriously how hard is it to have a plan to stop a run on?

Looking forward to the saints next week can't wait to see us get smashed by their leg speed.

Good: May, Lever, Viney, Weid
Bad: Reverting to bad habits under pressure
Selfish disposals to players under pressure
No forward pressure
Anything else to do with pressure...
Ugly: Jones looking less likely to reach his milestone

In spite of the poor effort from our mids, we smashed the Doggies in the clearances and had the same number of forward entries.

Our forward pressure was shocking though, and you have to question why when you consider that the flick and run out of defence is the Doggies trademark.

I liked Melk not getting it over the man on the mark from 20m out, and Brayshaw not getting it over the head of Caleb Daniel.

Yeah bad loss, pretty much all our usual problems on show. Still, nice to get a feel of where we're at, about 9-10th is probably right, which is pretty sad really.

albeit only one was “kicked into the man on the mark” it is without doubt my biggest pet hate in footy.

Good: KPP did their bit. May when fit is a really formidable defender. Lever was good also and read the ball well. Weideman is turning into an elite contested mark and leading forward.

Bad: Well a totally flat opening third term. Panic disposal as opposed to the dogs clinical hand balling into space to create the run and overlap. We needed to take the extra time to just compose and hit a target and not freak out. The disparity between our midfield and a good one. We’ve looked good the last 3 weeks, now we play a finals contending side and are out of our depth. Still a huge issue that needs addressing.

Ugly: Just back to the same old panicked ineffectual side that can’t use it well. Goal kicking and forward pressure. No physicality. God we were soft.

No plan B from Goodwin again. When interviewed during the game his response was "same midfield rotation, we will play our way" like we are the reigning premiers.

Its the gambler in him. Do the same thing over and over and expect luck to go our way.

Agree with everyone's good. Will add Salem in the first half to that list. Shook lots of tackles and hot targets when no one could.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back