Review Dees v Carrrrlton: the Good, Bad & Fair Dinkum Ugly in a Fall from Grace - Rd 9, 2021

Remove this Banner Ad

So I literally watched today freezing my arse off on the golf course so thank god they won.

Couple of minor stats:
- By total points are the best defence in the comp, but we are also the fifth-best offensive side in the comp. The commonality between the four sides better than us? None of them (Dogs, WC, Brisbane, Essendon) have played us yet.
- We haven’t had a player 20 and 3 yet.

Oh and we have 9 wins and zero losses. Important stat that.

Good :
9-0
3 games clear in top 2!
James Jordan
Brayshaw . Disposal still average but got better . Doing the team things
Petty looked a lot better
Salem
Langdon
TMac
Ending Carltons season in round 9

Bad :
Can only play at most 3 of Brown , Weid , TMac. and Jackson. 2 may even be better
Brayshaws disposal early

Ugly :
Oliver getting a free kick and without even looking just turns and without looking bombs straight to the opposition . Happens every week

Tommy Mac though, seriously this time. Pay your respects to the campaigner.

Last trade period we couldn't even give him away. "Can I interest you in a little bit of Tommy Mac? Top 10 in the Coleman just a season ago, if he doesn't kick a goal for 6 months you can just sell him to Freo. We'd do that ourselves but they're still pissed we torched them for Hoges. Whaddyasay?". No takers! Too old for the Suns, too young for the Cats, too good for the Blues. Even Norf wouldn't flinch. "Carn Roos! Whose going to kick your goals now Benny's gone? You missed Kozi in the draft too! Can't play Hawthorn every week... couldn't you use a little bit of Tommy Mac?"

Last day of trade week I saw Mahoney with the megaphone out, hawking s**t like the Greek dudes selling eggplant and pumpkin at Vic market. "Two for one with Tommy Mac! Two for one with Tommy Mac! Once in a lifetime offer right now, buy one Tommy MacDonald, get Other MacDonald free! Sign up in the next five minutes, and we'll give you 50% of Tommy's salary back! What are you waiting for? Sign your next Key Position Superstar today!"

30 minutes before deadline, plenty of trading left: "Hey you over there with the clipboard, what flavour Doritos you eating? Cheese Supreme or Thai Sweet Chilli? Thai Sweet Chill? Nah * that. You don't need Thai Sweet Chilli Dorito, no one needs that. I'll tell you what: hand over the chippies, and I'll hook you up with a little bit of Tommy Mac. We good? We're good, right?"

But alas, Doritos for Tommy, not even. And Thai Sweet Chilli no less (that's the purple ones fyi).

Anyway now look at the campaigner. Crew-cut mother*er's out kicking bags of snags every week! Bags of snags, snags from the boundary, set shots snags, around-the-body-left-foot-snags. All the snags you'd ever want, and marks too, and not the shitty uncontested ones that Fritsch takes like a kilometre away from goal. We're talking real good ("contested") marks, "crashing the pack" type s**t. He's so good at marking and snagging Weed can't get a game and Benny Brown looks like s**t, and I love Benny Brown. Runs too Tommy, my word does he ever.

Maybe my Ray Bans are a little "red and blue" but I'm seeing some All-Australian s**t right here. If I was picking the team I'd have him as captain. What a ******* legend, if we make a granny he's winning the Norm... bookmark it!!!!!

Tommy Mac though, seriously this time. Pay your respects to the campaigner.

Last trade period we couldn't even give him away. "Can I interest you in a little bit of Tommy Mac? Top 10 in the Coleman just a season ago, if he doesn't kick a goal for 6 months you can just sell him to Freo. We'd do that ourselves but they're still pissed we torched them for Hoges. Whaddyasay?". No takers! Too old for the Suns, too young for the Cats, too good for the Blues. Even Norf wouldn't flinch. "Carn Roos! Whose going to kick your goals now Benny's gone? You missed Kozi in the draft too! Can't play Hawthorn every week... couldn't you use a little bit of Tommy Mac?"

Last day of trade week I saw Mahoney with the megaphone out, hawking sh*t like the Greek dudes selling eggplant and pumpkin at Vic market. "Two for one with Tommy Mac! Two for one with Tommy Mac! Once in a lifetime offer right now, buy one Tommy MacDonald, get Other MacDonald free! Sign up in the next five minutes, and we'll give you 50% of Tommy's salary back! What are you waiting for? Sign your next Key Position Superstar today!"

30 minutes before deadline, plenty of trading left: "Hey you over there with the clipboard, what flavour Doritos you eating? Cheese Supreme or Thai Sweet Chilli? Thai Sweet Chill? Nah fu** that. You don't need Thai Sweet Chilli Dorito, no one needs that. I'll tell you what: hand over the chippies, and I'll hook you up with a little bit of Tommy Mac. We good? We're good, right?"

But alas, Doritos for Tommy, not even. And Thai Sweet Chilli no less (that's the purple ones fyi).

Anyway now look at the campaigner. Crew-cut motherf***er's out kicking bags of snags every week! Bags of snags, snags from the boundary, set shots snags, around-the-body-left-foot-snags. All the snags you'd ever want, and marks too, and not the shitty uncontested ones that Fritsch takes like a kilometre away from goal. We're talking real good ("contested") marks, "crashing the pack" type sh*t. He's so good at marking and snagging Weed can't get a game and Benny Brown looks like sh*t, and I love Benny Brown. Runs too Tommy, my word does he ever.

Maybe my Ray Bans are a little "red and blue" but I'm seeing some All-Australian sh*t right here. If I was picking the team I'd have him as captain. What a ******* legend, if we make a granny he's winning the Norm... bookmark it!!!!!
POTY

Langdons kicked 8 goals for the year and only had less than 20 touches once in a game this year (averaging over 24 touches).

He works back and saves goals on the goal line, links up through the middle, kicks a goal almost every week, is remarkably good in the contest and is deceptively courageous with his wiry frame.

So consistent. Love him.

Good: Oliver, best game for the year I reckon.
Salem, what a player he has become.
Spargo, thought he was excellent, surprised not to see more love for him.
Brayshaw, turned it over a bit but is really growing into his new role.
Tmac, <3.

Bad: Ben Brown, extraordinarily limited footy player.

Fugly: Lochie Plowman getting a regular game at the elite level.

we aren't the harlem globe trotters but * we get the defensive s**t right.

Good/Bad/Ugly: IDK, I just can't make my mind up about Brayshaw. He has the ability to find himself in the right spot only to butcher the ever loving s**t out of the ball when he takes possession.

He can play way better than he did today. I hope the Crows play him into form!

There was a point of the game where we were getting absolutely smashed in the clearances and Carlton were lining up for a shot and I was hoping they would miss mostly because I was excited for what we could do with the kick out.

And I realised I don't think I've ever felt this good about a Melbourne side kicking out my whole life.

Ugly: just finished watching the first quarter replay and I'm gonna have nightmares of BT whispering into the mic

I don't get BT at all. I've never heard a commentator of any sport sound less interested in their job. Spent half the game just trying to entertain himself. Weird s**t.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don't get BT at all. I've never heard a commentator of any sport sound less interested in their job. Spent half the game just trying to entertain himself. Weird sh*t.
It’s also ******* frustrating that they spend an inordinate amount of time talking about set shot routine. They started ripping into Hunt and I couldn’t help but think ‘he’s a ******* defender again, it’s not like we are talking key forwards’. Drives me nuts. And it’s only Channel 7 with BT that does it.

Bank the points and move on. Not a great win, Dees once again lucky that opponents were hampered by injuries early on.

Good:
- Defence: keeping us in it. Salem, Lever and May superb. Rivers and Hibberd continuing to do good things. Petty is improving.
- TMac. Absolute class, gives the team confidence when he has the ball. Along with the defence, probably the difference between the team being 9-0 and 5-4.
- Spargo and Nibbler: have improved out of sight this season, actually feel confident when they have the ball...would never have thought I'd be saying this.
- Oliver: great work rate, and staring to pepper the goals as well.
- Jordon: now an important cog in the midfield.
- Langdon's workrate.

Bad:
- Clearances - absolutely smashed, and have been losing the clearance count over the whole of the season. The midfielders needs to have greater distances between themselves and Gawn, he is smacking it to them however the ball is coming too fast and they never end up taking control of it. Also, compare the West Coast midfielder running patterns at centre bounces compared to Melbourne - the West Coast midfielders are on the move, the Melbourne midfielders are stationary. This is really for Goodwin to fix up.
- Gawn. I missed a chunk of Q3, however he looked really lazy with his efforts in the first half. He is also not taking many of the superb contested marks that he was a month ago. Hope it's not still because of those rotten Tassie oysters.
- Petracca. Caught a lot, and torching the ball. A down game by his high standards.
- The BBB/Weid/TMac experiment. One of BBB/Weid need to go.

Ugly:
- Brayshaw's start: absolutely butchered it at the start, going out on the full and then kicking it straight to an opponent within 1 minute. Worked hard around the ground, however wish he was more reliable by foot.

Ugly:

- Winning is becoming a bit... boring? Is this what it feels like to support a team that's actually good?
Z6wR1Fx.gif

The fair dinkum disgusting:
We have our best home and away record since Eisenhower was President and we aren’t dominating the coverage of the league.

Regarding Brayshaw, he absolutely infuriated me.

He would look infinitely better if he realised his limitations by foot and chose the % option. Bombing long to 3 talls is better than the bullet pass to the boundary when you're a high likelihood to get it wrong and go ootf. At least long you gain some metres.

But the rest of his game was great

Good: Thought Hunt was good again, has recaptured form.
After a season and a half, Langdon may be the most consistent player the Dees have had in my lifetime.
Tmac obviously. ANB, Spargo and Pickett bobbed up nicely when needed.

Bad: Petracca needs to put away the don’t argue.
Ben Brown
Chandler very quiet but should get more games

Good: Thought Hunt was good again, has recaptured form.
After a season and a half, Langdon may be the most consistent player the Dees have had in my lifetime.
Tmac obviously. ANB, Spargo and Pickett bobbed up nicely when needed.

Bad: Petracca needs to put away the don’t argue.
Ben Brown
Chandler very quiet but should get more games

If Hunt isnt getting pinged for holding the ball at least once in a game hes not playing like he should be imo. 👍

Few people bagging Trac which surprises me. He was much better than last week, won some really important clearances and set up Fritschs goal which effectively sealed the game.

The kick to Fritsch for the first goal of the game allowed me to use some of the lotion I had ready for Kade but never ended up using..

Regarding Brayshaw, he absolutely infuriated me.

He would look infinitely better if he realised his limitations by foot and chose the % option. Bombing long to 3 talls is better than the bullet pass to the boundary when you're a high likelihood to get it wrong and go ootf. At least long you gain some metres.

But the rest of his game was great
Yes at that point it almost came back to him, usually you would hope for a mark and another forward entry but instead I found myself wanting it to go out of bounds. That kick to the pocket was ridiculous plus it's a tough kick even if he hits the target.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back