Review Dees v Cavill Avenue Cavaliers: the Good, the Bad & the Fugly

Remove this Banner Ad

I just don’t realistically see a Tasmanian team being able to entice gun players from Melbourne or Perth or Adelaide to stay when teams from their homes are offering them big dollars, but that’s just my perspective as a 23yo who’d probably want to live in a city bigger than 1M people at least. Which puts them at a huge disadvantage. Brisbane and Sydney at least have appeal, but there are also quite a few good players from Queensland and NSW. Even the academies have flourished. Yet GC, Brisbane, and GWS still struggle to keep players. There’s barely enough good players from Tasmania to full an all time best 22, let alone one from the 2000s. They’re at a huge recruitment and retention disadvantage. It’ll never work. Happy for them to try and to be proven right though. Best solution is a Victorian team which plays ~8 home games in Tassie, ~8 games in Melbourne, and ~6 interstate IMO

Would like to see a Gold Coast vs Tassie all time best 22... Tassie would even give QLD a run for their money I recon!

Currently, Tassie are also undefeated so far in the U18 champs:

Tasmania vs Gold Coast - 99 to 54
Tasmania vs NT - 67 to 52
Tasmania vs Brisbane - 110 to 14

Hehehe I'm in the wrong thread :D. Oh wait, no I'm not!

Here's my rant on that little island down south:

I found Tassie morbidly depressing.

Highest unemployment rate, lowest average income and lowest functional literacy rate in the country (last one by a massive margin). You know those horror movies from the 80s where some city slicker gets stuck in rural America before being kidnapped by a 12th generation family of psychopathic inbreds? That's what walking around Hobart felt like for me.

As far as the things I'm super excited about: weird bars full of strange people, fashion, clubs with 24 hour liquor licenses, live music etc. there's **** all compared to Melbourne or Sydney.

Mona's fn dope though, probs my favourite gallery in the whole wide world.
Many likes if I could.

Firstly - I’m going to eat the opposite of humble pie (is that cocaine?) cause I called Ol’ chompers to have a huge one against north so I think that counts

Secondly - Geelong, the city of dreams is a great place - or at least a great place to be from :) and it is very close to melbs

Thirdly - I think lots of relevant points on the Tassie debate. It’s basically a matrix of potential and ease of implementation - AFL probably thought SYDNEY and Gold Coast team would have greater potential (for reasons mentioned) and underestimated how difficult the implementation was - tassie they probably thought was equally difficult or a little easier perhaps but less potential (either from a share gain or defensive persepctive)

P.S. not sure why the random capitalization

Doubt the AFL underestimated how hard it would be to break into those markets. Western Sydney is league and football heartland, while Gold Coast has been a graveyard for a lot of sports over the years. The philosophy is whether you put a team where there's demand for it, or you put a team where you want to drum up new business and expand the empire... the AFL hierarchy went the latter option with GWS and Gold Coast. Kind of curious to see how long they back those horses in as the Gold Coast doesn't look like turning around any time soon, but I'd imagine they're in it for the longest of hauls.

Is living in Queensland that bad? I type this as I'm looking out the window contemplating another winter here...

Not as bad as living in Victoria.

Eh, depends what you like. It is ludicrously effing hot up here in summer - can't even go swimming due to the wildlife. Snakes and stingers abound, and I've seen the odd croc here and there, which was enough to dissuade me from exploring the wilderness. I don't like rugby league, which is all they really care about up this way. That and fishing, which I'm not big on either. Winter up here isn't bad, though - amusing seeing the Queenslanders all rugged up and sooking at 10 C this morning. People up here are good folk, to be fair. Very welcoming. Possibly a symptom of moving up in terms of employment as well, but on average people are much more switched on here than the last few places I've been.

As far as the things I'm super excited about: weird bars full of strange people, fashion, clubs with 24 hour liquor licenses, live music etc. there's **** all compared to Melbourne or Sydney.

Each to their own - that sounds ******* awful to me and exactly why I was happy to get away from the big smoke. That and the rent... don't know how anyone can afford to live in Sydney without three jobs and seven roommates.

Doubt the AFL underestimated how hard it would be to break into those markets. Western Sydney is league and football heartland, while Gold Coast has been a graveyard for a lot of sports over the years. The philosophy is whether you put a team where there's demand for it, or you put a team where you want to drum up new business and expand the empire... the AFL hierarchy went the latter option with GWS and Gold Coast. Kind of curious to see how long they back those horses in as the Gold Coast doesn't look like turning around any time soon, but I'd imagine they're in it for the longest of hauls.

Agree that we’re in it for the longest of hauls

And don’t get me wrong - I agree that they would have known SYDNEY / Gold Coast would be bloody difficult - but he pay off was worth it in their view - while Tassie maybe a little less difficult but payoff perhaps not as big when all factors, financial and strategic weighed up

Point was simply - they would have weighed up a bunch of factors, probably with some weighting and considered the whole picture together, not just point by point - think that was getting lost a little earlier in the thread. Everybody gets a prize - participation award! We are all correct. (Or all wrong)

Each to their own - that sounds ******* awful to me and exactly why I was happy to get away from the big smoke. That and the rent... don't know how anyone can afford to live in Sydney without three jobs and seven roommates.
It’s fine except you first have to earn enough, and secondly need to sacrifice a crazy amount of earnings to each rental payment.

I have a horrible feeling you are going to finally descend down south as a zillionaire by virtue of your canny savings at the crucial economic juncture

It’s fine except you first have to earn enough, and secondly need to sacrifice a crazy amount of earnings to each rental payment.

I have a horrible feeling you are going to finally descend down south as a zillionaire by virtue of your canny savings at the crucial economic juncture
For shame PG! You should be celebrating the success of your Bigfooty brethren.

"Right. I had to get up in the morning at ten o'clock at night half an hour before I went to bed, drink a cup of sulphuric acid, work twenty-nine hours a day down mill, and pay mill owner for permission to come to work, and when we got home, our Dad and our mother would kill us and dance about on our graves singing Hallelujah."

Remove this Banner Ad

Back