Review Dees v Dogs - the Good, Bad and Fugly - Woof! - Round 11, 2021

Remove this Banner Ad

Please explain . And btw, there is nothing wrong with being a Greg Williams.
I’ll try.

I think the comparison is dead stupid. We are talking about Clarry + Trac v Judd +Kerr. Two midfield units that played entirely different systems and playing conditions. So the promoting of Trac + Clarry using stats is s**t, because the current AFL conditions accumulate more stats for dominant midfielders then AFL conditions in the early 2000s. But likewise, “eye-test” claims that Judd and Kerr were better players doesn’t account for what Clarry and Trac might have been able to produce in early 2000 conditions.

Speaking of suspensions when does TKs end? Feels like he's been in hole for a good month. 😂
I think it’s more like a week? Or so? I’ll try and find out. Crimson is better than me at working out expiry suspension dates

I’ll try.

I think the comparison is dead stupid. We are talking about Clarry + Trac v Judd +Kerr. Two midfield units that played entirely different systems and playing conditions. So the promoting of Trac + Clarry using stats is sh*t, because the current AFL conditions accumulate more stats for dominant midfielders then AFL conditions in the early 2000s. But likewise, “eye-test” claims that Judd and Kerr were better players doesn’t account for what Clarry and Trac might have been able to produce in early 2000 conditions.

I get you, but I'll counter that by saying, players like Judd and Kerr who could break away from stoppages are kick goals on the run are timeless and extremely rare.

I get you, but I'll counter that by saying, players like Judd and Kerr who could break away from stoppages are kick goals on the run are timeless and extremely rare.
I know what you mean, but even the stoppage pressure has changed since that time. the whole AFL game these days has changed to try and damp down those talents, and amp up rewards for super fit guys who can trot up and down the field without breathing too hard. I would say that today’s midfielders that have the Judd / Kerr capacity are presented with more obstacles then they were back then.

I say this all with the knowledge that in-form Judd was about the most impressive midfielder I have seen. I just get hyper sensitive about any perceived slight on Clarry because I personally adopted him as my boy the night he was drafted

I know what you mean, but even the stoppage pressure has changed since that time. the whole AFL game these days has changed to try and damp down those talents, and amp up rewards for super fit guys who can trot up and down the field without breathing too hard. I would say that today’s midfielders that have the Judd / Kerr capacity are presented with more obstacles then they were back then.

I say this all with the knowledge that in-form Judd was about the most impressive midfielder I have seen. I just get hyper sensitive about any perceived slight on Clarry because I personally adopted him as my boy the night he was drafted

It's all good, I don't mean any disrespect to Clarry, he's just a different type of player.

Trac and Dusty can still do some Judd like things in today's game.

I'm a massive Oliver critic but agree completely. The thing I love most about his game (Trac, Viney and Kozzy have this too) is that he is never out of the contest - has superb 2nd/3rd/4th efforts. Oliver is now taking the game on at the stoppage and he isn't butting heads with our other mids for the same ball, he is really coming into his own as a top 5 mid in the game.

Rare like Nathan Jones 💪

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Trac goes for 20x harder kicks than Clarry (and can pull them off, see the kick to TMac last week and kick to Fritsch for opening goal vs Carlton) , don't be silly and look at kicking and disposal efficiency as the be all end all. It doesn't paint the whole picture.

Wait for it.... wait for it...

Lame.

Long story short.

"

Both Kelly and Oliver feature in Champion Data’s list of the top 10 players who have attempted the hardest kicks this season (minimum 50 kicks).

Three players have extraordinarily good “hit” rates — Toby Greene (Greater Western Sydney), Dustin Martin (Richmond) and Oliver.

"

He's in the top 10 most difficult kicks attempted and top 3 for kick rating in that group in the comp.

He has hit some incredible passes inside 50 this year, some on his left too.

Oliver is such a strange kick of the footy. He's a truly awful set shot, but mechanically looks fine in general play. Often seems to just hoik it 50 metres not to the advantage of a forward but has also hit some amazing passes this year (some floating off the boot and clearly unintentional).

He definitely doesnt have much finesse or feel in his kicks, like a Spargo who can drop a 25 metre pass on a dime inside 50 between 4 defenders.

I never know how to feel when he's loading up for a kick. He's definitely better this year than all other years, but im still never confident.

Maybe because our positioning is better and the team has played together for a while now the half forwards know where Oliver's shanks will go???

Or because his kicks are so wild they rarely become intercept marks?

I know he can hit some kicks but that 3 top efficiency in hardest kicks stat is hard to understand.

I reckon anyone wanting Weid dropped uppercut yaself, he didn't have a great game but he played his role well. Got his hands to a shitload of balls and brought them front and square. Should have created one for Fritta but he fumbled.

He made that forward line work much better than donkey Brown would have.

I reckon anyone wanting Weid dropped uppercut yaself, he didn't have a great game but he played his role well. Got his hands to a shitload of balls and brought them front and square. Should have created one for Fritta but he fumbled.

He’s back!!!

Welcome back.

Also how goooood!
Fair play A11dAtP0w3R for calling it. You should take old mates $50 chuck it on Riv for the rising star and split the winnings 😍

Im too nice of a bloke, sadly. :(

Remove this Banner Ad

Back