Review Dees v Eagles Götterdämmerung - the Good, Bad & Season Ending - Rd 22, 2018

Remove this Banner Ad

Alot of media suggesting Gawn is the most valuable play in the comp.

For mine, Melksham is just about our most valuable at the moment. Im almost certain we beat Sydney last week if he was playing.

We are an 8 goal better side with him up there. He either kicks a goal, sets up a goal or halves the contest every time it goes near him.

11 score involvements including 4 goals and 2 direct assists.

Said we are 4 goals better off with him in the match day thread, simply because he will hit a target more often than he misses them going inside 50. Easily our best field kick to a forward. We need another 3 or 4 of him.

Should find out next week.
Having my birthday party/Fathers Day at the Olive At Loch (Max's mums bakery) either on that Saturday or Sunday and can't confirm the date with my family until the finals fixture is released.
Don't want it to clash with a final.

I told my 2 year-old-about-to-be-3 that his birthday is cancelled last night as it's the first weeks of the finals.

Let's be honest he's had it easy being not even born for the Neeld years.

Bad: Having put up with pointless melt threads after every loss from MarcMaverick id have appreciated a congratulations one after the famous victory yesterday.

Cant have it both ways bro. :thumbsdown:

I'll be honest, I couldn't watch the last 10 minutes. West Coast fans were driving me insane - turn it back on after we win to see vision of boys celebrating and I see ******* LeCras grappling with Jetta by the collar. Having lived in both Perth and Adelaide I can honestly attest to Crows and Eagles fans being easily the most oxygen-deprived, potentially lobotomised supporters in the league (not all obviously, but at home they are insufferable).

Back to the game - it was great that our boys showed poise particularly when West Coast snatched the lead from us in the last qtr. We have classy players, they just need the belief to do it for 4 quarter and particularly in the clinches when the game is there to won.

Max Gawn - amazing. Having a dominant ruckman in the league, simply cannot overstate his value.
Salem - I think might finally be proving his worth. Slick and versatile
Great to see Harmes' progress too
Melksham's been a terrific recruit for us. Him and Hibberd perhaps go some way to even the Essendon trade ledger (Moorcroft, Heffernan)

Great result, but as I've said all along, finals should be a bare minimum. Let's hope we bring the same intensity and there's no reason we can't win a couple

Beaten by a harder, hungrier team congrats.
What a gem u have in Max Gawn. With out a doubt the best and most dominant ruck in the league. Absolute beast.
Always had a soft spot for u mob (my grandfather played for u back in the day) and think u will go deep in September if u bring that same intensity every game.
Well done.

I'll be honest, I couldn't watch the last 10 minutes. West Coast fans were driving me insane - turn it back on after we win to see vision of boys celebrating and I see ******* LeCras grappling with Jetta by the collar. Having lived in both Perth and Adelaide I can honestly attest to Crows and Eagles fans being easily the most oxygen-deprived, potentially lobotomised supporters in the league (not all obviously, but at home they are insufferable).

Back to the game - it was great that our boys showed poise particularly when West Coast snatched the lead from us in the last qtr. We have classy players, they just need the belief to do it for 4 quarter and particularly in the clinches when the game is there to won.

Max Gawn - amazing. Having a dominant ruckman in the league, simply cannot overstate his value.
Salem - I think might finally be proving his worth. Slick and versatile
Great to see Harmes' progress too
Melksham's been a terrific recruit for us. Him and Hibberd perhaps go some way to even the Essendon trade ledger (Moorcroft, Heffernan)

Great result, but as I've said all along, finals should be a bare minimum. Let's hope we bring the same intensity and there's no reason we can't win a couple

I completely agree with the sentiment regarding WCE supporters at home. Insufferable is the exact word I would use to describe them. Having said that the booing of the campaigners after the game yesterday actually made it sweeter in my books. I actually said "suffer in ya jocks" out loud!

Massive effort by the lads to go over there and do that. So much to like about the performance...
- vandenBERG - Wow I had genuinely forgotten how good a player he is. The type of mongrel that we need
- Weid - He's still going to take time to put it all together and we need to remember that. But boy has he got some tricks in his kitbag that make me salivate!
- Gawn - Just being Gawn
- Melksham - More than happy to put my hand up and say I was wrong. Has gone from "WTF is he doing in our side" to our most important player
- Frost - Becoming a quality tall defender. His pace makes him a weapon in attack as well
- Ball movement - That is how we need to play all the time. Move the ball at pace, use the width of the ground and lower our eyes going i50 when its not a fast play
- Lewis - Anyone who thinks he's done should be reconsidering their position. You can't buy the kind of experience he brings to this side

Only down side is thinking about poor old Bern. He had the balls to come to us when we were nothing but a little bit of potential. Would love him to be out there in a couple of weeks but alas...

Was quite exciting sitting down last night figuring out all the permutations and combinations for week 1 of the finals and one of them wasn't "but we could still miss out"!

Beaten by a harder, hungrier team congrats.
What a gem u have in Max Gawn. With out a doubt the best and most dominant ruck in the league. Absolute beast.
Always had a soft spot for u mob (my grandfather played for u back in the day) and think u will go deep in September if u bring that same intensity every game.
Well done.

How many games mate? Must have been close to our Succesfull era in the VfL

People need to jump on board the frost mobile. Bloke needed some confidence but he is best 22 now.
Frost mobile sounds like a sled pulled by a Husky team

Not sure mate. Was war times when he got posted in Melbourne before being shipped out.[/
Grandfather is back row 2nd from right.
Would really love to put names to faces in that team.
Don’t know anyone bar Norm Smith and can’t find it anywhere.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not sure mate. Was war times when he got posted in Melbourne before being shipped out.

Bloody hell mate, not sure if you know much about Melbourne's history but he's played with Norm Smith, Fred Fanning, Allan La Fontaine and Don Cordner and coached by checker Hughes.

Team of the century players

Grandfather is back row 2nd from right.
Would really love to put names to faces in that team.
Don’t know anyone bar Norm Smith and can’t find it anywhere.

Not too sure but I reckon that's Smith Middle of middle.

Bad: Having put up with pointless melt threads after every loss from MarcMaverick id have appreciated a congratulations one after the famous victory yesterday.

Cant have it both ways bro. :thumbsdown:

I did on the first page of this thread
**** YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!@#@#$$$^%&*&*(*(!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!))))))!)!)!):devil::D:D:D:D:D:D:devil::devil::devil::drunk:

I was so ecstatic that, that came out

Goodwin and the players speak about learning from past games, and the little things add up to moments and the moments add up to big moments.

Watching the last 5 minutes just now, we had 4 smothers, players were desperate to not let the ball spill out, halved aerial contests. I loved Lewis' mark in the back 50, we had 5 kick-marks in a row took 45 seconds off the clock and slowed the game down.

Goodwin and the players speak about learning from past games, and the little things add up to moments and the moments add up to big moments.

Watching the last 5 minutes just now, we had 4 smothers, players were desperate to not let the ball spill out, halved aerial contests. I loved Lewis' mark in the back 50, we had 5 kick-marks in a row took 45 seconds off the clock and slowed the game down.

I think it was Brayshaw and Salem who traded kicks for 30 seconds before going long down the line. Game management yo.

Bloody hell mate, not sure if you know much about Melbourne's history but he's played with Norm Smith, Fred Fanning, Allan La Fontaine and Don Cordner and coached by checker Hughes.

Team of the century players
Don’t know to much I’m afraid. Remember as a kid he would say he played with some of the greats. Didn’t really appreciate it then. The older u get the more u understand it I suppose.

Anyway wrong thread for this. Well done again and good luck in finals.

I think it was Brayshaw and Salem who traded kicks for 30 seconds before going long down the line. Game management yo.

The lead up to Melksham's goal out the back in the goal square, salem perfect checked kick no panic long bomb, gus to Fritsch, long to hannan/kent? and the melks out the back.

Don’t know to much I’m afraid. Remember as a kid he would say he played with some of the greats. Didn’t really appreciate it then. The older u get the more u understand it I suppose.

Anyway wrong thread for this. Well done again and good luck in finals.

Back in the 40s and 50s those were the biggest names in the VFL and are part of the fabric of our history. Pretty cool mate.

Mate I am gorging myself on humble pie when it comes to Frost and Harmes, and I might need to order another one for Vanders :D

That's ok I've been eating Brayshaw humble all season,
Vanders has lost weight, he looked quick over the ground and put his body on the line a couple times. Very happy.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back