Review Dees v Eagles Götterdämmerung - the Good, Bad & Season Ending - Rd 22, 2018

Remove this Banner Ad

l_james-magner-445.jpg
image5143
image4328
melbournedemonstrainingsessionf1adt_zyrcmm.jpg

Yep very harsh on Trenners. He essentially gave his career for the MFC.
Fair enough - I agree completely - but expurgation is essential

Good:
- Harmes was excellent. Shuey barely had an impact at all, and Harmes did. Huge win
- Forward line actually functioning like a forward line. We had players leading in different directions! We had short kicks inside 50 that hit targets!
- Defence was excellent all day. The goals we let in weren't really through the defence I didn't think. Hibberd makes a huge difference. We actually have a dangerous defensive line in terms of attack. Hard for opposition to contain our pace in rebound with Hibberd and Frost and good ball use through Salem/Lewis. Pretty good mix I reckon.
- Gawn is just terrific. His follow up stuff is UNPRECEDENTED
- Speaking of, Oliver continued being one of the best players in the comp.
- Weid did some good things, but I think people are going a bit overboard with him. Like that was a 6/10 game. Nothing terrible, some good stuff, but also some long patches of 0 involvement. Still, it's the most I've seen out of him so a 'good'.
- Hannan and Kent excellent throughout. Some bone-jarring tackles.
- The best part though, was that after surrendering the lead in the 4th, we didn't drop our bundle. We just outplayed them then managed the clock! Who is this team?

Bad:
- Still so wasteful. So many easy opportunities torched. The same every week.
- Jones missing sitters. Hannan missing a sitter. Kent missing a sitter. Petracca (i think?) missing from directly in front. And others. There's 5 goals there that just should be goals. Start kicking them and we will find it hard to lose games given our average scores.
- Giving up another 5 goal lead. Haven't checked but I feel like in most of our losses this year, we have been 5 goals up at one point. Gotta kick on.

Ugly:
- Le Cras after the siren on Jetta.

I don't completely agree with this or I wouldn't classify this in the same category as the other 5 goal lead give ups. It took west coast nearly the whole game to reel back a 26 point lead, I thought all day we responded to their challenges when they finally did take the lead it lasted less than 4 minutes, they didn't go on with it and we responded again. This isn't like they Sydney game where we went from 3 goals up and then to 3 goals down in one quarter. It's really hard to keep comfortable leads on good teams particularly west coast at home. Even Richmond have had lapses not like us they just click back into gear. hopefully we reach that level.

I've never been less stressed watching a game of footy in my life.

I think it was the first minute or so when Nibbler had this half-arsed kick that dribbled in the goals (ball was called back but still). Weiderman may as well have been wearing a cape, was flying through the air clunking everything. Oscar McDonald aka the human twig somehow managing to KO "darlo". 20 points up before West Coast did anything. We were on from the first second, i could feel it in all my fingers and toes. Can't wait to watch the replay.
what the hell have you been doing man? ive already watched it twice again already lol.

Congratulations on the tremendous win and reaching your first finals campaign in 12 years.

Here are the midfield frequency stats for the match. If you haven't seen a previous post, this is an overall summary of how often player started as one of your 5 mids at centre bounces.

There were 34 bounces

Harmes 31
vandenBerg 27 wing
Jones 27 (14w, 13i)
Brayshaw 25 (1w)
Oliver 24
Tyson 22 (18w, 4i)
Petracca 7
Spargo 6 wing
Gawn 1 wing

Rucks:
Gawn 27
Weideman 5
T.McDonald 2

Breakdown by Halves:

1st Half - 14 Bounces

Jones 12 (8i, 4w)
Harmes 12
vandenBerg 10 wing
Tyson 9 (6w, 3i)
Oliver 9
Brayshaw 7
Spargo 6 wing
Petracca 4
Gawn 1 wing

Rucks:
Gawn 9
Weideman 5

2nd Half - 20 Bounces

Harmes 19
Brayshaw 18
vandenBerg 17 wing
Jones 15 (10w, 5i)
Oliver 15
Tyson 13 (1i)
Petracca 3

Rucks:
Gawn 18
T.McDonald 2

Notes:
- First time in an analysed game since Rd 15, 2016 that vandenBerg has finished a game as a top 6 mid.
- Yes Gawn really did start on the wing for a bounce when Weideman was rucking - you only had 2 inside mids for that bounce, Tyson vacated the wing to fill it and Gawn ran from the forwards to fill the wing spot. Why the ruck is noticing that and none of the smalls I couldn't say.
- Yet again Harmes was starting at bounces even when the player he was tagging (Shuey) was resting/on the bench. Shuey started at 28 bounces.
- Spargo became the 5th player in analysed games this season to be completely jettisoned from the midfield mix at 1/2 time after Richmond's Corey Ellis (twice), St Kilda's Jack Billings and the Bulldogs's Roarke Smith. Spargo though is the only one of the 4 to be in his first season, so its more understandable.
- Melbourne & West Coast used differing tactics for their rucks: you guys gave Gawn a sizeable rest in the first half, so he was able to take virtually every bounce in the 2nd half. Whereas Lycett took virtually every bounce in the 1st half, meaning Vardy was #1 ruck for large portions of the last.
- Fewest inside starts for Petracca in a month - he started at 42% of bounces last week vs. 20.6% this week.
- First analysed game this season where Fritsch has played and not received even a token wing start - obviously his backline role this week took precedence.

Not sure mate. Was war times when he got posted in Melbourne before being shipped out.

Was it Ralph Latham? (http://demonwiki.org/Ralph+Latham). If so that would help narrow down the week that photo was taken as he didn't play rounds 1 or 2. Will consult an expert to find out what ground that is (my guess is Brunswick St for the last game of the season).

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We are only allowed to say one of the names out loud, and that I believe is James Strauss.
The photo is getting a catting shortly

THat's my big problem right now, he butchered the ball going for goal, and from our CHF they need to be better. Thought it was an okay game from him but also feel people are going overboard on what he did today.
This is just typical of how some of our supporters have viewed high draft picks for a long time. He didnt need to dominate yesterday. He needed to make a west coast defender accountable so they couldnt double team McDonald. He needed to give a contest, not be outmarked, provide a target forward of centre, push up to the wings, and give gawn a ruck chop out. Did he do all that?

100%. As a 21 year old 197cm key forward, who's battled injury nearly his whole drafted career, he is tracking very good. Was he worth 3 votes yesterday? No. But he made the west coast defence respect him. And he should get a lot of self belief out of that display, the missed goals notwithstanding.

This is just typical of how some of our supporters have viewed high draft picks for a long time. He didnt need to dominate yesterday. He needed to make a west coast defender accountable so they couldnt double team McDonald. He needed to give a contest, not be outmarked, provide a target forward of centre, push up to the wings, and give gawn a ruck chop out. Did he do all that?

100%. As a 21 year old 197cm key forward, who's battled injury nearly his whole drafted career, he is tracking very good. Was he worth 3 votes yesterday? No. But he made the west coast defence respect him. And he should get a lot of self belief out of that display, the missed goals notwithstanding.
I never said anywhere that he needed to dominate did I? I said he played an okay game. Which I think is fair.

I'm only saying that a) some people are talking it up like it was an amazing performance and b) goal kicking is a huge thing we need from our key positions forwards. He did what was needed for the most part. I'm simply stating that butchering the ball that badly is not something that can be overlooked so easily when us missing gettable goals has cost us plenty of games, and almost did yesterday too.

If you'd like to discuss my points I'm more than happy to, but don't just add "he didn't need to dominate yesterday" as though I suggested he did.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back