Review Dees v Eagles Götterdämmerung - the Good, Bad & Season Ending - Rd 22, 2018

Remove this Banner Ad

I’d almost forgotten what it feels like to be in the finals . Great team effort to win in Perth . No matter how it pans out , just the experience will be another step forward for this group and club .

In the final QRT (i think)
Lewwy filled the hole perfecly.
As if he was winding the clock back to 2014

It's that kind of stuff that I think a lot of people overlook and just see that he is a bit slower than he used to be... Most of the time he just does the right thing automatically and his ability to educate the likes of McDonald and Frost cannot be rated highly enough. He's doing exactly what we got him in for. Still well and truly in our best 22.

Good:
- Harmes was excellent. Shuey barely had an impact at all, and Harmes did. Huge win
- Forward line actually functioning like a forward line. We had players leading in different directions! We had short kicks inside 50 that hit targets!
- Defence was excellent all day. The goals we let in weren't really through the defence I didn't think. Hibberd makes a huge difference. We actually have a dangerous defensive line in terms of attack. Hard for opposition to contain our pace in rebound with Hibberd and Frost and good ball use through Salem/Lewis. Pretty good mix I reckon.
- Gawn is just terrific. His follow up stuff is UNPRECEDENTED
- Speaking of, Oliver continued being one of the best players in the comp.
- Weid did some good things, but I think people are going a bit overboard with him. Like that was a 6/10 game. Nothing terrible, some good stuff, but also some long patches of 0 involvement. Still, it's the most I've seen out of him so a 'good'.
- Hannan and Kent excellent throughout. Some bone-jarring tackles.
- The best part though, was that after surrendering the lead in the 4th, we didn't drop our bundle. We just outplayed them then managed the clock! Who is this team?

Bad:
- Still so wasteful. So many easy opportunities torched. The same every week.
- Jones missing sitters. Hannan missing a sitter. Kent missing a sitter. Petracca (i think?) missing from directly in front. And others. There's 5 goals there that just should be goals. Start kicking them and we will find it hard to lose games given our average scores.
- Giving up another 5 goal lead. Haven't checked but I feel like in most of our losses this year, we have been 5 goals up at one point. Gotta kick on.

Ugly:
- Le Cras after the siren on Jetta.

Grandfather is back row 2nd from right.
Would really love to put names to faces in that team.
Don’t know anyone bar Norm Smith and can’t find it anywhere.

A couple of suggestions. Supermercado runs Demonwiki and has tons of historical info on the Demons.

Or you could send the pic to the club, explaining your grandfather's involvement and asking if the players could be identified. We had a club historian - Linda something I think - who might be able to help you out.

If it was me I'd be hanging out to know. There's every chance Fred Fanning is in there with some other out & out legends

I told my 2 year-old-about-to-be-3 that his birthday is cancelled last night as it's the first weeks of the finals.

Let's be honest he's had it easy being not even born for the Neeld years.
My son who was converted to the Saints wasn't even 2 and he had seen them play more Grand Finals (3) than I'd seen my team play in my life (2)

Frost creates a very interesting problem once Lever comes back.

I would play all three. Frost on the quicker KPF, OMac on the bigger, Lever as the third. If single tall forward line a la Richmond or Geelong, OMac gets the tall and Frost goes to a medium. He’s got the pace.

A couple of suggestions. Supermercado runs Demonwiki and has tons of historical info on the Demons.

Or you could send the pic to the club, explaining your grandfather's involvement and asking if the players could be identified. We had a club historian - Linda something I think - who might be able to help you out.

If it was me I'd be hanging out to know. There's every chance Fred Fanning is in there with some other out & out legends
Will get onto that when I get home from work. Cheers for the info greatly appreciated.

Just watched the game, VDB was brilliant in the first half. Harmes, Gawn and Frost all had great games. Nev back to his best. It was the best I’ve seen Weideman play too, looked like a constant threat in the air.
It was really noticeable how we didn’t bomb it into an outnumbered forward line.
The West Coke crowd was it’s typically ugly self.
Feels a bit surreal to know we will be playing finals. I was certain we’d miss out again.

Just watched the full game, thought Weid was actually decent, Sure, he faded in and out but if he doesn't kick terribly for goal he ends up with 3. Had a lot of presence in the air too.

THat's my big problem right now, he butchered the ball going for goal, and from our CHF they need to be better. Thought it was an okay game from him but also feel people are going overboard on what he did today.

This was a win for the lesser lights that have copped alot of abuse at Melbourne from all of us.

Harmes is playing with a streak of arrogance at the moment that's making him a bloody good player, I remember when he missed the shot on the run from 50 last year and everyone was calling him selfish and to be delisted but I loved it. It was a man taking the pressure of a situation on his shoulders.

Vanders was as physical as hell and I reckon he's lost weight, he looked almost quick a few times chasing blokes and he's looking best 22 for mine.

Weid played the exact game Hogan doesn't, unselfish. didn't impact the scoreboard but he brought the ball to ground often and as soon as it was there he tackled like a monster. He isn't a better player but we will play better with him as a 2nd forward over Hogan imo.

Kent.. nuff said.

Frost played the game of his life, couple huge intercept marks, destroyed his opponent and even kicked well. He was a monster.

I thought ANB was incredible with his work rate. So often watching you could see him passing players between the arcs as he ran to either defend or attack.

Hannan was awesome forward, really dangerous and his tackling pressure was elite. Also kicked his goals when needed. Could be the best a few of these guys can play.
I reckon Harmes has become the player we all thought Petracca would be this year!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just watched the full game, thought Weid was actually decent, Sure, he faded in and out but if he doesn't kick terribly for goal he ends up with 3. Had a lot of presence in the air too.
I've thought in a few games that Weid has played this year that he's been a real "almost" player, specifically with his marking. So many times he got hands to some big pack marks but just couldn't quite stick them ... yesterday, he started to stick them. If he can do the same with goal kicking, he'll become a player

I think once again Weid just looked knackered in the 2nd half. Clumsier tackling attempts and contests plus worse set shot kicking. Just seemed spent. Think he will be a gun many years down the road but he will be patchy for quite some time.

WATTS-FULL.png
TOUMPAS%20Jimmy.png
TRENGROVE-FULL.png

I reckon Harmes has become the player we all thought Petracca would be this year!
I am so stoked for Harmes. He has elevated his game to be in the same bracket as Brayshaw and Petracca (not yet at Oliver’s level but who is?), so it’s like we got a high quality talent from out of nowhere. He could yet prove to be Jason Taylor’s greatest achievement, even exceeding Oliver at pick 4, since he picked Harmes as a rookie he saw potential in him that no other recruiters did.

Yeah - I like all three but we had to move them all on. Tuompas and Trengove likely to be delisted at years end. Watts only stays on courtesy of his contract - but I honestly couldn't see him in our best 22 if he was still at Melb.

Five years ago I hoped all three would be part of our resurgence up the ladder to finals - all being top 5 draft picks. This is why the priority pick conversation for Carlton and GC just about puts me the sleep. Having received them ourselves I know they are actually only part of the rebuild. If the club is a shambles it makes it so hard for those players to develop. These guys obviously weren't the world-beaters we hoped but we did not no favours either.

I've never been less stressed watching a game of footy in my life.

I think it was the first minute or so when Nibbler had this half-arsed kick that dribbled in the goals (ball was called back but still). Weiderman may as well have been wearing a cape, was flying through the air clunking everything. Oscar McDonald aka the human twig somehow managing to KO "darlo". 20 points up before West Coast did anything. We were on from the first second, i could feel it in all my fingers and toes. Can't wait to watch the replay.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back