Review Dees v Eagles: the Good, Bad & Fugly @ Doomsday

Remove this Banner Ad

People forget that we lost matches in the same manner in 2018, high inside 50 count, but couldn’t hit the scoreboard, then killed the other way.

We did well to make a prelim, but we really beat up on some average sides during the season, and put in some stinkers against the sides you really want to beat.

So the problems have always been there, and I’m not sure making it so far in 2018 has done us much good, we just weren’t as good a side as we all (and the club) thought.

Ah well, will be nice to have a break from watching us, hard to get too excited about this side at the moment.

People forget that we lost matches in the same manner in 2018, high inside 50 count, but couldn’t hit the scoreboard, then killed the other way.

We did well to make a prelim, but we really beat up on some average sides during the season, and put in some stinkers against the sides you really want to beat.

So the problems have always been there, and I’m not sure making it so far in 2018 has done us much good, we just weren’t as good a side as we all (and the club) thought.

Ah well, will be nice to have a break from watching us, hard to get too excited about this side at the moment.
The game against port Adelaide in 2018 comes to mind watching us constantly attack for no reward while port slowly chipped away. All those Geelong games we dominated inside 50 and loss twice and were lucky we had such a good lead in the elimination final because we couldn't score in the second quarter. Even though our game plan got some results in 2018 the game itself has gone way past it. We got found out last year and still no noticeable change. I still think we have some decent talent but there's definitely some worrying signs such as Hibberd. There was one point in the game where he went to go in board but then decided to do a pirouett and slam the ball on his left foot down the line to no one. I'm not sure if May had a good game, Kennedy was just nowhere near it. Once upon a time I liked spargo but his kicking, may as well play a wagner. I could go on and on but why bother.

Who forgot? Every single person has said its the same bullshit as before. Dump kicking, lazy 1 way running mids, no leading forwards its been the same for years. 2018 we had 2 good patches besides that we've been trash

When the footy comes back it's going to be really interesting to see what it all looks like. All the teams will lose fitness and touch so I wonder if we'll see games that look closer to 80's and 90's football or if the standard will simply fall to a VFLish semi-ametuer version of modern footy.

Disappointing game really. But I don't know what most people were expecting to be different over there? WCE are arguably favourites to win the flag. Beating them over there is nearly impossible when they have an ordinary list let alone one that has no weaknesses. Predictable result really..

The thing that was noticeable this game and in the two preseason games though, and is alarming, is that our forwardline is one of the weakest in the comp. I've said it before, we will never win a flag with Tom MacDonald as our #1 forward target. Fritsch is great, but he should be at best a 2nd option, arguably our third target in the F50. We needed Weideman to stand up and arrive, and unfortunately he hasn't. We need to target a gun forward.

Also, we recruited well for run and carry, yet we didn't recruit anyone through the midfield who was going to improve our kicking efficiency or make our entries into the F50 any less scrappy. We can win the ball in the back half, win the contested ball through the middle, yet we continue to pump the ball long into the forwardline with seemingly no gameplan forward of centre. I think Goody was just hoping the outside run would automatically change our success forward. Nope. Kozzy was exciting as was Bedford and they will help add excitement down there and some much needed pace, but against the solid well structured teams we will continue to get wiped because our skill level isn't good enough, and out gameplan lacks any foresight going forward. Plus we have a very ordinary forwardline where no one will grab a game by the neck consistently. We need to target Jeremy Cameron. Desperately. I don't care what we have to do to get him, but without someone like him, and a couple of highly skilled midfielders who can deliver the ball, we are treading water.

I f**king hate how the preseason they built us up in hope, and then bam, knock all that out of us in 4 quarters of football. It's so Melbourne! I'd hate to think of what GWS will or would have done to us in the second round. I think whenever the football starts up again happens, we'll be bottom of the ladder come end of round 2. After watching most games over the weekend, we are kidding ourselves if we think we are anywhere near GWS, WCE, Rich or Coll. Unless we get someone as good as Cameron or Mihocek asap, this virus has simply delayed Goodwin's axing.

Sadly they made it look like all the talk about it being different during Our pre season was for nothing, honestly saw guys like Oliver not defensively running to cover their man at half pace.
Makes me really wonder

Some of the Center Bounces could of been recalled but weren't, one instance hickey or NicNat caught the ball one handed and got a free disposal (thought that was illegal, but whatever)

However really liked Kozzy, Bedford. Fantastic. Bit of spark we needed.

Viney Deserved to be our best player, playing like a man possessed, however his delivery of the pill Inside 50 let him down.
Very happy with Petracca.

Not sure why our most defesive minded mid (harmesy) was playing CHB?
Could of really used him to tag Gaff, whom could did as he wished because Langdon didn't offer any resistance to him.

The less said about Spargs and Mitch Browne the better.
As much as i think Oscar McDonald is only on our list because he's Toms brother he was surpirsing good. Few Shanks here and there, but was far from our worst player on the day.
Sunday i relised how important Jonesy is in the midfield. Big loss that game
Pig could lower the eyes a bit more and stop bonging 60+ to the square to a 1 vs 3.
Bar the first quarter, the last 3 had the effort. Just couldn't put it on the scoreboard (as always, think we had 10 more inside 50's than WC)

It's so ******* obvious what our issue is yet the players keep bombing it desperately inside 50.
Michael Hibberd who is 30 years old so a senior player had 9 of our inside 50s. Or ~17%. Our retention rate was 0 from his kicks.
Ed Langdon had 8, Viney had 5
So half of our inside 50s were between these 3. Literally half of our inside 50s came from 3 blokes who like to run and kick it as far as they can to no one in particular and the scary thing is it seems like they were being encouraged too.

Oliver Petracca and Brayshaw had 8 between them. So our mids handball it around aimlessly until one of our running defenders or wingers belts it long.

Melksham looked to be playing off the back of the square/defensive wing? position at times in the first half. Obviously trying to get the ball in his hands going inside 50 but he didn't get near it - also got caught getting sucked in to the bounce with his man hanging back and getting on the end of a few from memory due to how poorly Gawn was rucking/out midfield was closing down the stoppage

Melksham looked to be playing off the back of the square/defensive wing? position at times in the first half. Obviously trying to get the ball in his hands going inside 50 but he didn't get near it - also got caught getting sucked in to the bounce with his man hanging back and getting on the end of a few from memory due to how poorly Gawn was rucking/out midfield was closing down the stoppage
Was way too aggressive. We were playing 5 on 6 in their forward half sometimes

We still play 2020 Cricket style footy. Load up all guns blazing from the centre bounce, miss opportunities, get blown away to the tune of 5 goals in a quarter, try and play catch up all game whilst the other team cruises.

Thought we defended really well through the Marsh series but the Eagles pulled us a part way too easy. Our tackling numbers were shocking. No way we can beat a midfield of Shuey/Yeo/Kelly with no tackling pressure

We still play 2020 Cricket style footy. Load up all guns blazing from the centre bounce, miss opportunities, get blown away to the tune of 5 goals in a quarter, try and play catch up all game whilst the other team cruises.

Thought we defended really well through the Marsh series but the Eagles pulled us a part way too easy. Our tackling numbers were shocking. No way we can beat a midfield of Shuey/Yeo/Kelly with no tackling pressure
A big problem is the lazyness of our mids. We wanna play the game in the middle of the ground and teams like Collingwood Richmond and WC can take the game wide of us.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Some of these positional changes stink of someone with NFI. Harmes in defence and Melksham NOT in the forwardline is bizarre.
Way too ******* cute. Instead of trying to find little edges here and there we need to be focusing on each section of the ground functioning properly

Way too ******* cute. Instead of trying to find little edges here and there we need to be focusing on each section of the ground functioning properly

Melksham on McGovern was probably the most inspired coaching decision Goodwin has made in his career and he hasn't bothered with it since.

Melksham on McGovern was probably the most inspired coaching decision Goodwin has made in his career and he hasn't bothered with it since.
Was it his move or Craig Jennings' move? Have we got a strategist on our coaching panel since Jennings left? ? Wasn't he supposed to be a mastermind or something?

It's so ******* obvious what our issue is yet the players keep bombing it desperately inside 50.
Michael Hibberd who is 30 years old so a senior player had 9 of our inside 50s. Or ~17%. Our retention rate was 0 from his kicks.
Ed Langdon had 8, Viney had 5
So half of our inside 50s were between these 3. Literally half of our inside 50s came from 3 blokes who like to run and kick it as far as they can to no one in particular and the scary thing is it seems like they were being encouraged too.

Oliver Petracca and Brayshaw had 8 between them. So our mids handball it around aimlessly until one of our running defenders or wingers belts it long.
I didn't think Langdon and Viney were awful going inside 50 but what the * was Hibberd doing? Had NFI, might as well have been playing for the other side he was that useless.

Was way too aggressive. We were playing 5 on 6 in their forward half sometimes
We play our best when we are physical. We should actually aim to be defensive early so we can get our tackling and pressure going. I think the physical side of the game brings out the best in us and conversely open, free flowing games are usually our undoing. We obviously need to win easier and not turn everything into a slog but in R1 we should be aiming to get into the game against tough opponents through our physicality.

Hang in early, grind them down then blast them away in the 3rd if we have to (especially coz we r so fit now). That's why we still miss Lewis/Vince ironing people out every so often (and AVB for that matter)

Viney activated beast mode. His best game ever?
Round 14 v WC 2017
38 disposals (26 contested) 1 goal

Round 5 v Richmond 2016
37 disposals (23 contested) 9 tackles

Round 7 v Hawthorn 2017
32 disposals (16 contested) 15 tackles, 1 goal

Round 14 v WC 2017
38 disposals (26 contested) 1 goal

Round 5 v Richmond 2016
37 disposals (23 contested) 9 tackles

Round 7 v Hawthorn 2017
32 disposals (16 contested) 15 tackles, 1 goal

Probably his top 5 though.

The WC game of 2017 was number 1, almost single handedly won us the game in Perth.

Probably his top 5 though.

The WC game of 2017 was number 1, almost single handedly won us the game in Perth.
Tyson, Oliver and Viney combined so well that night. Smashed WC inside but they controlled the ball much better around the ground (typical). Just a great game of football.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back