Review Dees v Eagles: the Good, Bad & Fugly @ Doomsday

Remove this Banner Ad

Hard to know how players were affected mentally knowing the season is likely cooked but fmd that was atrocious. Literally all the issues we had last year looked just as bad.

Goody is going to survive another 18 months and it’ll set us back soooo much.
Considering our blokes pulled out of a camp because it was too hard I'd be surprised if they weren't mentally shot before the game.

Hard to know how players were affected mentally knowing the season is likely cooked but fmd that was atrocious. Literally all the issues we had last year looked just as bad.

not hard to know that they are a weak bunch if the above is true

Who the * is our forward coach? Like seriously any chance you could teach the ******* forwards how to lead. every single ******* time the ball came in not 1 campaigner was moving always flat footed. Ffs Fritta had it outside 50 at 1 point and not 1 campaigner lead at him so he just kicked it infront of our uber driver looking campaigner. wtf is that haircut Pickett?? And made him move to the ball. Sick to * of us having more of the ball and doing * all with it forward. Also * that dwarf campaigner garden gnome how the * does that midget lil campaigner miss so many targets when literally thats all he is good for.

The club running with Gawn's quote saying the performance was "brave" just sums up the whole mindset doesn't it.

To run with that when medical professionals around the world are working 20 hour days and deciding who has to live or die is just the most tone deaf s**t.

They lost by 30 points, the game being essentially over at the end of the first quarter, because of inexcusable defensive lapses. Congrats for going and barely doing the job for 2 hours that we have all paid you for, despite deriving no pleasure from it. Even if the season was completely called off, what i saw out there was no less effort than a park footy dead rubber.

Who the fu** is our forward coach? Like seriously any chance you could teach the ******* forwards how to lead. every single ******* time the ball came in not 1 campaigner was moving always flat footed. Ffs Fritta had it outside 50 at 1 point and not 1 campaigner lead at him so he just kicked it infront of our uber driver looking campaigner. wtf is that haircut Pickett?? And made him move to the ball. Sick to fu** of us having more of the ball and doing fu** all with it forward. Also fu** that dwarf campaigner garden gnome how the fu** does that midget lil campaigner miss so many targets when literally thats all he is good for.

Need to track down Jakovich and get him to be our Forward coach.

Caught the first quarter on the radio and missed the rest. It was reassuring to see/hear that we are still shite so can bay for Goodwin's blood for the next two months + rather than blame fate for stealing our 2020 flag.

At this stage we just have to hope the MFC survives another 18 months. That doesn't sound like the kind of return performance that was conducive to supporters dipping into their pockets.

Kinda seems pointless reviewing the game but fu** it got nothing better to do

I am 100% certain we will never be successful with the midfield group we have
Viney, Brayshaw and Oliver must have a pact together that when one of them gets the ball, they all share in it before it goes forward.
When it does go forward its always a long high kick to whichever forward is in the square at the time.
Convince me Clayton Oliver is any better than Tom Mitchell at football because he aint, he has won BNFs and AA selection off the back of handballing it well. His defensive work is a disgrace and hes only valuable for the initial 3 second of every ball up.

MIDS
Brayshaw is over rated bigtime. Hes a slow fumbly inside mid who doesnt word hard off the ball, happy to nail a tackle when they are a metre away but doesnt chase or work hard off the ball. Terrible kick of the footy, no penetration the ball floats off his boot.

Jack Viney is completely one dimensional, which is fine if he was allowed to be one dimensional on his own but in a game like today when he abandons all other facets of the game and becomes a ball hunter to the extreme he essentially renders Oliver and Brayshaw useless because he wins it and then has 2 inside mids who are so close he can just place the ball in their hands.

Petracca is a puddle head, as soon as the eagles got up in his face he stopped being Petracca and just became another one paced average inside mid. Didnt have the mental strength to break tackles like the pre season.

Harmes...didnt even remember he was playing until the last quarter. Nice coaching move morons.

As for the defence, Im surprised all the plaudits for Lockhart. He played the offensive side of the game well but between him and Harmes they let Ryan and Ah Chee kick 5.4 which was the margin in the end. Same issue I have with Salem in defence, all good to look pretty with the ball but theres a reason why we always concede easy goals in defence and its because we are playing with mids and forwards in the backhalf.

Hibberd was the worst game i might have ever seen, MMM used to do the 3 worst on votes and Hibberd won that by the Flemington, Reckon he kicked it long to no one about 15 times, not even exaggerating.

Langdon- works incredibly hard to get to space and thats about it. Im already off this bloke. His kicking is horrific, think people might see that having 'wingers' was not one of our issues last year. All Langdon really did was stand wide on the ground, run and kick the ball far. Basically Jayden Hunt but less quickly.

Forwards
The forwards its really hard to say, was it all to do with the horrific delivery of the midfield or did they have no options to kick to? Id say the forward line is a real issue, None of them seemed to want to create a contest at the predictable ball drop. I reckon 30 of our forward entries landed 25m out directly infront and 28 of them were uncontested eagles contests.
Richmond do the same kick but Riewoldt or Lynch always create a contest. Instead we have Fritsch Brown and Melksham
My feeling is we are actually trying to replicate the Pies forward line but they are brilliant at isolating their medium forwards deep in the goalsquare and then kicking it flat and hard to them for a 1 on 1.
we seem to be half pregnant with a medium small forward line that we always kick long to.

Cant believe that the only positive I can take out of that game was Pickett. Everyone else was either same old or worse.

Agree with all of it except for Pickett being the only positive.Thought Lockhart and Bedford were pretty good also. If you just failed to mention them though because they are on the MFC road to ruin, fair enough, play on.

(Btw Spargo gave Hibberd a fair shake for worst on ground too imo, but I'm being pedantic so many terrible players, all in the eye of the beholder really ♥️)

Other random thoughts put to paper by a lunatic..

Adam Thomlinson is the invisible Man, didn't * up, but didn't anything noticeable either, genuinely can't remember him being out there. If we could only use his powers more effectively moving forward. If only.

Max Gawn needs to work on facial expressions as a leader, he's got this whole Detective Droopy hound dog facial expression when we are down, its rather depressing, I need to see anger and fire.

Agree with all of it except for Pickett being the only positive.Thought Lockhart and Bedford were pretty good also. If you just failed to mention them though because they are on the MFC road to ruin, fair enough, play on.

(Btw Spargo gave Hibberd a fair shake for worst on ground too imo, but I'm being pedantic so many terrible players, all in the eye of the beholder really ♥)
Didn't mention Bedford, didn't think he was particularly good or bad but he looked exciting and like a good point of difference. Good work rate.

Lockhart I did mention above can't believe you missed it 😭
I thought Lockhart was really good with the ball. Composure was first class but he was also a defensive liability. Ryan gave him an absoloute bath. Him and Harmes cost us 5 goals after surprisingly OMac and May did excellent.

Spargo wasn't worse than Hibberd, Spargo was terrible but atleast he was trying to hit up targets, Hibberd didn't even try.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Didn't mention Bedford, didn't think he was particularly good or bad but he looked exciting and like a good point of difference. Good work rate.

Lockhart I did mention above can't believe you missed it 😭
I thought Lockhart was really good with the ball. Composite was first class but he was also a defensive liability. Ryan gave him an absoloute bath. Him and Harmes cost us 5 goals after surprisingly OMac and May did excellent.

Sorry, just row a s**t canning going on, agreed with the names, you didnt highlight him , just put him in under defence ( which was shitouse also) ....ill look more closely in future,apologies.

The club running with Gawn's quote saying the performance was "brave" just sums up the whole mindset doesn't it.

To run with that when medical professionals around the world are working 20 hour days and deciding who has to live or die is just the most tone deaf s**t.

They lost by 30 points, the game being essentially over at the end of the first quarter, because of inexcusable defensive lapses. Congrats for going and barely doing the job for 2 hours that we have all paid you for, despite deriving no pleasure from it. Even if the season was completely called off, what i saw out there was no less effort than a park footy dead rubber.

The most annoying part is s**t for brains Goodwin will actually go home now and think his game plan works cause it competed with WCfor 3 quarters in perf, when essentially all WCE did was blow us away early then put the cue in the rack.....would have probably been better for us to get completely blown out. #sobrave

Who the fu** is our forward coach? Like seriously any chance you could teach the ******* forwards how to lead. every single ******* time the ball came in not 1 campaigner was moving always flat footed. Ffs Fritta had it outside 50 at 1 point and not 1 campaigner lead at him so he just kicked it infront of our uber driver looking campaigner. wtf is that haircut Pickett?? And made him move to the ball. Sick to fu** of us having more of the ball and doing fu** all with it forward. Also fu** that dwarf campaigner garden gnome how the fu** does that midget lil campaigner miss so many targets when literally thats all he is good for.

I still think you are Dr truth. You legend

I missed this gold, must go back and give it a love. Pickett's Uber driver haircut. FMD. Blitz has an eye for fashion, you can't deny it.

Now why would a dumb * like myself bother having 2 profiles? I can tell you to get ****ed from this 1 without giving a *. I just dont see the point in playing some midget who adds absolutely * all to the team besides a few good 30m kicks a games(yesterday zero). Im sure opposition lose sleep over knowing he is in the ******* team

I can only remember two or three decent forward 50 enteries resulting in set shots at goals. Two from fritta and one from Pickett a first gamer my I add. Maybe one more where fritta took a clean mark but it was 45m on the boundary line. Everything else was a bomb fest. Pretty sure there's been a time glitch because 2014 Chris Dawes made an appearance in the form of tmac. I don't know how we've persisted with the same game plan for so long, it's mind boggling. Oh well no need to worry for a while

I can only remember two or three decent forward 50 enteries resulting in set shots at goals. Two from fritta and one from Pickett a first gamer my I add. Maybe one more where fritta took a clean mark but it was 45m on the boundary line. Everything else was a bomb fest. Pretty sure there's been a time glitch because 2014 Chris Dawes made an appearance in the form of tmac. I don't know how we've persisted with the same game plan for so long, it's mind boggling. Oh well no need to worry for a while

It’s the injuries man!

Excuse me, if you don't mind. I am doing my best, you don't know the pressure I am under, with that raucous hate filled crowd saying all sorts of things about me, it is quite unnerving you know!!

Of course there's more important things at the moment, but it's alarming to see the club trying to put a positive spin on that performance. Continuing to try when you're losing a game should be a prerequisite of playing at the higest level, not something to be applauded.

It's just one game but I think Goody has to go for us to significantly improve. We have persisted with the same broken game plan for how many years now? We all see the same problems every week, commentators and journos highlight the same problems, and nothing changes. Spoilers: Blindly blasting the ball inside 50 to outnumbers over and over isn't going to win you many games, particularly when your midfield has no defensive work once the inevitable turnover occurs.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back