Review Dees v Gold Coast in Sydney: the Marginally Good, the Horrendous and the Up the Clacker

Remove this Banner Ad

Gold coast 1-39, king/Fritsch anytime goal kicker, match points under 115, first score-melb behind- paying $37 if anyone wants to pay off their HECS debt
One leg, nice.

There were moments during the telecast (like when the announcers told me May went forward) that I genuinely felt like Goodwin was reading last weeks review thread to decide on positional moves during the game, this is a fantastic development. I am going to think long and hard about my comments this week, I want to make sure I have lots of good suggestions for Simon.

Paper, meet cracks...
What was it about that win that was papering over the cracks? We changed the game plan, brought in tall targets, and had some huge plays when the game got tight against a team that moves the ball well. I’m as big a Goodwin critic as anyone, but what the * else was he meant to do?

Obviously still not perfect, but a definite step up from our other games this year. The team actually had some structure and a coherent system going forward at times tonight, and that's really the first time this year that I've been able to say that. Guys like Hannan and Pickett don't get a lot of the ball, but they're natural forwards and every time they get involved they set up scoring chances. Weid still has a long way to go, and is still too easily beaten in the contest, but he has to keep playing for the rest of the year: the forward line looks so much more cohesive with an actual KPF there. Guys like him and OMac can benefit the team just by being there and playing their role even if they never have a stand-out game.

Viney had a really good game, Oliver was better, Harmes spent more time forward and in the midfield where he is much better suited than down back. Petracca just blazed away a few times tonight (strange, as he's probably been our best at hitting targets inside 50 so far this season) but that was a clutch goal, and I don't think there's any doubt about him being our best player at the moment. Lever and May need to stop continually flying for the same balls and getting in each other's way (GC got two goals from that), and I'm a little bit worried about Jetta, but otherwise the defence held up pretty well.

Like I said, a long way from perfect, but that was still a good win. GC aren't easy-beats anymore, and it's difficult when you're under pressure as a team to come up against a young, confident team like with nothing to lose and who had an uncanny ability to pluck goals out of their arse all night. We really had to earn that one, so I think we can be pretty proud about getting the four points. Next week will be a much better litmus test, though.

What was it about that win that was papering over the cracks? We changed the game plan, brought in tall targets, and had some huge plays when the game got tight against a team that moves the ball well. I’m as big a Goodwin critic as anyone, but what the fu** else was he meant to do?
Our win against the Gold Coast last year. Now THAT was wallpaper over the cracks.

What was it about that win that was papering over the cracks? We changed the game plan, brought in tall targets, and had some huge plays when the game got tight against a team that moves the ball well. I’m as big a Goodwin critic as anyone, but what the fu** else was he meant to do?
It's the typical Melbourne randomness. We will always have the odd game where we seem like we're ok, and maybe learned something. But let's see what happens next week and the week after that. I don't trust these jokers one little bit. That ok with you?

Well if you discount the fact that none of our players managed to lower their eyes and hit targets, kept blazing away as soon as they got the ball, made horrible choices to switch the ball when there were multiple targets ahead of them, our lack of ability to convert our I50 dominance into scores, leaking some of the softest goals from turnovers and stoppages, GC's forwards inability to kick straight from easy set shots, dominating most of the game yet still barely scraping over the top of a young inexperienced side and being one good kick away from losing for 95% of the game... it was a great win!

There were moments during the telecast (like when the announcers told me May went forward) that I genuinely felt like Goodwin was reading last weeks review thread to decide on positional moves during the game, this is a fantastic development. I am going to think long and hard about my comments this week, I want to make sure I have lots of good suggestions for Simon.
Hope he understands sarcasm.

I'm on the same page with people saying it was a good win but there's still a few creases that we need to iron out which I think should come with some more confidence. I can accept turn overs because every team does it. I think we got to get better at defending once we do turn it over. Our pressure was a lot better we still missed a few tackles but we caused a few turnovers just from perceived pressure. Our composure looked better hopefully we take another step forward next week which will lead to better results. With a bit more composure and confidence I reckon that would have been a much more comfortable win. I would like to be able to relax again in wins. We've been so down on confidence I genuinely feel every win last year was lucky or flukey. If we fix a few of these flaws for next week I feel we might actually win comfortablish.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Again I think our list is pretty underrated.

Genuinely think we’re starting to work out a pretty strong 22.

The Lever May OMac Rivers Hibbo Nev back 6 will work IMO. Rivers should come back in. Have Salem rotate down there occasionally.

Our wingers have been good all year, Bennell played more around the contest tonight, looked good plus actually applied pressure which was nice. Still think Clarry Trac Gus Harmes, with some actual time to gel, would be a top 3 midfield in the comp given how badly we dusted the Cats who just gave the Lions a bath inside. Vines gets in everyone else’s way; we need him rotating through occasionally but game on the line I don’t want him in the centre circle.

Forward line: Weed is gonna let TMac play deeper. Weed TMac aren’t the sexiest tall options but they should work together very nicely, both bring the ball to ground always, compete at ground level(unlike Hoges who was useless at this). Hannan proving to be absolutely essential, brilliant user, really smart mover(how good was the assist to Weed late, that’s true goal sense getting out the back seeing his man fly for the footy). Fritta needs to just hang onto some easy marks and he’ll kick 3 a game. Kozzy pressure+crumbing, brilliant. Milkshakes out of form but he is essential for his kicking inside fifty. The rest gets filled up by Trac, Harmesy, Vanders.

Not a fan of our forward press and never will be I think with how easily teams transition from defense to attack when we turn it over. But think we’ve been building; Carlton win was clearly our worst game, this one clearly our best. Ball use is improving, kicking inside fifty tonight was genuinely solid all around to be honest(even Clarry and Vines did some good stuff here), and the defensive pressure and effort has definitely been there Since the Cats game.

Bad: TMac. Poor fella. Would’ve kicked a few tonight with Weed doing so well up the ground. Still believe in him.

Ugly: Clarry Vines and Gussy haircuts. Love all of them, would not mind if the whole team went bald until we made the finals, in the mould of Harrison Barnes for the Sacramento Kings. That’d be a great way to shut up the naysayers.

Also Clayton Oliver has been the best midfielder in the comp at ground level for 3-4 years now.

Big game footy is won in the middle and we consistently win it. How many times is the ball disputed and Clarry just finds a way to get it and find a spreading teammate. He will play 300 games in the same position; defensive positioning and “spreading from a contest” should be irrelevant for him because he will always be the guy we choose to win the footy at the coalface when we need to win a damn game.

Will stand up for him till the end of time; think I owe him that after shutting on him a lot last year for reasons more related to Goodwin’s’ tactical ineptitude rather than Oliver’s actual desire.

Well if you discount the fact that none of our players managed to lower their eyes and hit targets,
Did we watch the same game? There was definite improvement in that area.

And as others have said the Suns; well for every gettable set shot they missed they kicked a GOTY contender.

Weller from 50 on a tight angle. Ellis a 50M snap. Rankine’s Lewandowski esque finish. Rankine’s first goal wasn’t too shabby either.

They’re a ******* good team; they’ve got class AND talent.

Did we watch the same game? There was definite improvement in that area.
Exactly. People don’t watch the game they just push narratives.

I don’t think anyone’s been as staunch an anti-Goodwin person as me and I still abhor our forward press, but today we clearly kicked inside 50 well. Hit up some targets, didn’t go long to 50 also; basically every kick inside 50 from 60-70M, we put it into space to let our forwards leap at the footy; only Weed and Fritta couldn’t hang onto anything all game.

Hope he understands sarcasm.

I'm on the same page with people saying it was a good win but there's still a few creases that we need to iron out which I think should come with some more confidence. I can accept turn overs because every team does it. I think we got to get better at defending once we do turn it over. Our pressure was a lot better we still missed a few tackles but we caused a few turnovers just from perceived pressure. Our composure looked better hopefully we take another step forward next week which will lead to better results. With a bit more composure and confidence I reckon that would have been a much more comfortable win. I would like to be able to relax again in wins. We've been so down on confidence I genuinely feel every win last year was lucky or flukey. If we fix a few of these flaws for next week I feel we might actually win comfortablish.
Well said

made horrible choices to switch the ball when there were multiple targets ahead of them,

How do you even know this unless you were at the game? The cameras only capture about 10% of the ground at any given time.

Really improved effort. Still work to do but we were better.
Gawn was massive again.
Viney back to beast mode.
Trac looks like he’ll tear games apart.
Loved Langdon’s outside run. Thought Omac played a good game. His best for a while.
Weideman played well to. Especially after Tmac went off.
And Bennell. Just classy and will get better.
Clarry was better this week to.
Still some work to do but positive signs.

Good win but it shouldn't take a thrashing in the media and supporters to get the coach to finally make some changes in game.
I thought we would have to wait until an essendon game to have a stirring win after copping it from the media and fans

Who knows if its papering over cracks or the start of us getting some chemistry back, time will tell.

Some positive structural signs. Players playing their role, in positions they do well in and most players ended up having positive games.

We still aren't very good at switching and lack mainly lack composure, but at least options were considered. We didn't over commit to the contest and pressured well. Entries were better but still have a lot of work. D50 had some characteristic lapses close to goal but generally set up and attacked better.

Weid worked really hard, likely would have done better win Tmac who was looking good up the ground i thought. Viney was much better, I called for him to be dropped and thought he was the most composed mid out there. Trac was clean and hard, just his kicks were out of sync with the team and he lifted with the clutch goal anyway. OMac played really well and freed up Lever. Langdon also provided so much options with his run and kicked tidy so his game was a big positive. Still mainly disappointed with Clarry, he can be much better.

Surely we can be more creative with kick outs. Really shits me we go left deep every time.

If they are zoning and we can't carve them up fine, but go a barrel or change sides at least. Also we still kick it in like we can't leave the square.

Really with a decent forward coach, proper selection of a balanced squad and some tactics regarding things like kick ins and basic stoppage defensive workn, with our list with should be a much better side.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back