Review Dees v Gold Coast in Sydney: the Marginally Good, the Horrendous and the Up the Clacker

Remove this Banner Ad

Jamurp

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 26, 2011
AFL Club
Melbourne
Enjoyable win in the end, particularly with Bennell slotting a goal after the siren, was heartwarming stuff.

loved the inclusion and efforts of Weideman, made a massive amount of difference, I really hope he can string some consistency together, he seems like a great kid.

we still have a lot of issues obviously, but things looked a little different tonight, in a good way, so that’s a positive thing.

I still think we’ll lose to Hawthorn next week and we’ll come crashing back to reality, but for now I’ll enjoy our win tonight.

As an aside the Harmes to the backline call looks pretty good atm. He’s not a worldbeater but his work rate helps lots in that backline

The Dr

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 20, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
Surely we can be more creative with kick outs. Really shits me we go left deep every time.

If they are zoning and we can't carve them up fine, but go a barrel or change sides at least. Also we still kick it in like we can't leave the square.

Really with a decent forward coach, proper selection of a balanced squad and some tactics regarding things like kick ins and basic stoppage defensive workn, with our list with should be a much better side.

I don’t think we’ve ever had a decent creative strategy from kick outs in my time of supporting the Dees (30+ years).

It’s almost as if they just want to bomb to a pack and create a stoppage on the back flank. It’s infuriating how little dare we have in this area.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

jhong

Old man yelling at clouds
Apr 18, 2011
Wonthaggi
AFL Club
Melbourne
Happy for the win . Who knew Viney could kick on his right foot . It was the leaders that stood up when we needed it in the last Quarter . I thought Max was trying to do too much in the first half , but after HT was more like the Max of old . May had a bad game , O-Mac was solid , and to see the boys get around Harley was good stuff . Hopefully T-Mac's poke in the eye is ok , Need to continue on against the Hawks next week .

Topkent

Confirmed ITK Drafting King
Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
I don’t think we’ve ever had a decent creative strategy from kick outs in my time of supporting the Dees (30+ years).

It’s almost as if they just want to bomb to a pack and create a stoppage on the back flank. It’s infuriating how little dare we have in this area.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
May was doing it all game, then Salem took 2 and kicked it to the exact same spot. Has to be a plan

Topkent

Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
Found this a weird as game. Viney and Oliver seemed to listen to the criticism and held the ball longer topick options. Oliver especially seemed to almost make sure he didnt give the first option. We looked better as a result. We gave different looks in the midfield, Melk, Harmes and Vanders all took some centre bounces.
Leads you to ask though why this week? Why the * did it take for the media to go hard on us all week to stop playing like complete morons? Did the coaching staff only just realise it was an issue because of the media or did the players take it upon themselves? Either way is weird.

Topkent

Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
Good-
Weid had both a bad game and an excellent game. Didnt mark enough, was poor 1 on 1 and didnt do enough within the game but at the same time played his role brilliantly. Straight lined contests and really gave us an option. Our forward structure looked 100 times better with his effort.

Our tall defenders, May and Omac crushed their direct opponents. GC had 5 marks inside 50 for the game, they just got nothing in the air. Because of Omac Lever was able to get free more often and played a decent game.
Omac looked stronger, hopefully he can progress.
All these people having a go at May seem ******* weird to me, his disposal in the 3rd went to s**t but defensively he was flawless. King was apparently gonna take 15 marks and kick 7 according to a few here and he had no impact on the game. Same with Omac on Day.

The forward role players Hannan and AVB were brilliant, Hannan especially with the ball. Most of this board forgot how good he was in 18, Hannans a silky player that players with full intent. Vanders laid some huge tackles and still has pace for a bloke whos missed multiple years.

Pickett :hearteyes:, still finding his way but my god is it nice to see a bloke hit a contest at speed and crumb. Tap on to Fritsch, Banana to Bennell etc. I think this kid will be worth losing our first next year for. Hes a special talent.

Gawn actually marking the ******* footy again, keep it up big man.

Bennell, looks slow still but * anytime the ball went near him he took it sooo cleanly. It was to bad we couldnt get him into any space.

Ugly
Lockhart in defence, * his positioning is horrific. Each week his direct opponent kicks a couple because Lockhart becomes ball focused and loses his man. One contest May spoiled King to the front and Lockhart was facing the contest while Ainsworth ducked right got the ball and strolled to 50.

Still poor going forward, we had 13 more inside 50s and still looked like we could lose with 2 mins to go. Annoyingly we tried to lower the eyes a little more and then our best in Petracca went crap again.

Umpires.. its probably not their fault but * me is the umpiring of the game broken. Ive got no ******* clue how to determine when its HTB or not. No clue.

Topkent

Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
* Melbourne aswell, I was like a recovering drug addict. Id kicked the habit, got some new clothes did my hair and there they were waiting for me outside of me parents place with some of that good stuff.

When Bennell kicked that goal to finish the game I lost it. Sucked me back in the campaigners.

saj_21

Cancelled
Melbourne Board Tipping Champion
Aug 30, 2007
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Warney's IPL team!
I’ve been harsh on Gawny this year but tonight was his best game, marking like a big ruckman should be.

clarry - season high 14 kicks, didn’t “panic” handball.I liked a couple of times he took some ground and kicked the ball

Trac - kicking wasn’t great but was clutch when we needed him

Viney - cometh the hour cometh the man, his intensity was brilliant it’s look he took the scrutiny personally and wanted to make the suns pay. Kicking was really good.

the defence - looks good with Omac May and Lever, hibbo finding form

AVB - crunching blokes in tackles

weid - underrated game, two goals nice reward for effort. Flew high and created contests

Hannan - smart footballer, good user and clever around goals. If and when we catch go and watch footy again, just watch him tear around 50 chasing blokes.

kossie to Bennell mkre

Couple of snake negatives;

kick ins- clearly they are trying to make sure the kick ins are safe to numbers but we could do something a little more imaginative.

still need to win more ground balls inside 50 and wither hit the scoreboard or create repeat stoppages

if Melksham doesn’t start getting more footy on HFF and hit those inside 50 targets Spargo/Bedford should take his place

Deelighted

Club Legend
Aug 2, 2009
AFL Club
Melbourne
Echoing what others have said but having Weid in the team made a big difference. Yes he didn't mark as many as he should have, yes he was outbodied too easily a few times, but gave us much needed structure and a contest in the air most of the time.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Mt Isa Mustang

Cancelled
Dream Team Club Board Winner
Nov 23, 2019
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Congrats on the win.
Thought you were probably better across the park and deserved the win.
If we hadn't handed you a few goals on a platter with bad turnovers in the D50 however, I reckon we would have managed to stay in front right till the end.
In saying that, a few low percentage goals kept us in it (Thanks Rankine, Ellis x 2 and Weller)

Weideman flew pretty strongly and from someone who hadn't watched his demise last year, can't really understand why he hasn't been in the team. You'd like him to get a few cheapies on the lead to build confidence but overall was influential. Seems to have cemented his spot for the next month at least.

Pickett very exciting

Gawn just so so strong

Salem was more dynamic than I had recalled - always thought he was a bit of an Alex Witherden chip it round without doing much damage but was definitely wrong on that front.

Hannan was dangerous up front and matched what I had previously seen of him.

Whilst I'm disappointed we lost, I do hope you guys go ok this year. Plenty of other teams I'd rather see in the bottom 4.

dees arent rabble

Premiership Player
Apr 3, 2010
Sunny Coast
AFL Club
Melbourne
Great win.
Im a little bit excite.

Ugly:
Only be one more week of footy and that will be it.
Outbreaks in sydney. We opened the borders so Brisbane will be in lockdown in a week. Sydney people are flooding here.

Hopefully one more win till the season is over.

Been told by someone high up in Queensland health that we will be in lockdown within weeks

Great win.
Im a little bit excite.

Ugly:
Only be one more week of footy and that will be it.
Outbreaks in sydney. We opened the borders so Brisbane will be in lockdown in a week. Sydney people are flooding here.

Hopefully one more win till the season is over.

Been told by someone high up in Queensland health that we will be in lockdown within weeks

I love the idea that the boards biggest stoner is rubbing elbows with the ruling class.

* me the campaigners actually played some decent football. Must have been listening to Ross Lyon during the week to slow things down.They actually resembled an AFL football team this week. Must have been me watching them all along

Good;

Gawn - As I said in the votes thread, thats the Max I used to know, some shocking errors but he was on his bike all night and a colossus in the air. A captain's game. Really good to see.
Viney - Played angry and that's how Jack plays best.
Hannan - I love this bloke, his pressure and his ability to use his brain and find targets inside 50 is something we don't have enough of
OMac - ******* solid as a rock. Really good game
Vanders - Ye Olde Vanders is back! (Maybe)

The Alight;

Oliver - Look I appreciate the effort and you listening to people saying you handball too much, but you're still a s**t kick. Thought he was much better tho.
Weid - Provided a more than adequate target. Some strong marks and contests.
Lever - Better, was alright
Fristch - A lot of dumb s**t mixed in with some really good stuff.

Bad;

May - God help us.
Trac - disposal outside that magnificent goal was horrific
Nev - Can't doubt his effort as always but father time may have caught up :(

Last edited:

saj_21

Cancelled
Melbourne Board Tipping Champion
Aug 30, 2007
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Warney's IPL team!
fu** me the campaigners actually played some decent football. Must have been listening to Ross Lyon during the week to slow things down.They actually resembled an AFL football team this week. Must have been me watching them all along

Good;

Gawn - As I said in the votes thread, thats the Max I used to know, some shocking errors but he was on his bike all night and a colossus in the air. A captain's game. Really good to see.
Viney - Played angry and that's how Jack plays best.
Hannan - I love this bloke, his pressure and his ability to use his brain and find targets inside 50 is something we don't have enough of
OMac - ******* solid as a rock. Really good game
Vanders - Ye Olde Vanders is back! (Maybe)

The Alight;

Oliver - Look I appreciate the effort and you listening to people saying you handball too much, but you're still a sh*t kick. Thought he was much better tho.
Weid - Provided a more than adequate target. Some strong marks and contests.
Lever - Better, was alright
Fristch - A lot of dumb sh*t mixed in with some really good stuff.

Bad;

May - God help us.
Trac - disposal outside that magnificent goal was horrific
Nev - Can't doubt his effort as always but father time may have caught up :(

thought you were done for 2020?

thought you were done for 2020?

I am, watching games live. Doesn't mean I can't watch a replay when we win to see if it anything had changed.

Forgive me. I'm turning into full on banwagoner from here on in, you'll only hear from me after wins.

As an aside this is the first game I’ve watched all season live and it was our best win.

I’m also 2/2 on attending wins in Sydney.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back