Review Dees v Gold Coast in Sydney: the Marginally Good, the Horrendous and the Up the Clacker

Remove this Banner Ad

Was bloody fantastic work rate. Got back into defence and held his width to perfection. A proper old style wingers game.

His ball use was actually really good the majority of the time too.

May 3, 2014
AFL Club
Melbourne
Found this a weird as game. Viney and Oliver seemed to listen to the criticism and held the ball longer topick options. Oliver especially seemed to almost make sure he didnt give the first option. We looked better as a result. We gave different looks in the midfield, Melk, Harmes and Vanders all took some centre bounces.
Leads you to ask though why this week? Why the fu** did it take for the media to go hard on us all week to stop playing like complete morons? Did the coaching staff only just realise it was an issue because of the media or did the players take it upon themselves? Either way is weird.
It could be a case of not seeing the forest for the trees. Goody & his cohorts might have their heads so far up their arses ticking all the boxes of our 'brand' that they don't notice all the things that everyone on this board seem to point out on a weekly basis. It's only when our concerns are reflected by the media that they finally start to notice.

saj_21

Cancelled
Melbourne Board Tipping Champion
Aug 30, 2007
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Warney's IPL team!
I am, watching games live. Doesn't mean I can't watch a replay when we win to see if it anything had changed.

Forgive me. I'm turning into full on banwagoner from here on in, you'll only hear from me after wins.

Kinda like the opposite to Matthew Scarlett would only do pressers after a loss

stEdy

Premiership Player
Nov 2, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
Does Gawn love the challenge of playing against another gun ruck? Seems to struggle to dominate games against average players who seem to just target him physically and attempt to negate him (Pittonet, Fort, even Nank/Chol when Nank got injured)

Played out of his skin tonight against Witts who's a great ruck. Took numerous big grabs and played with a lot more determination. The big grabs down the wing and pushing back are what lift the team, not accumulating kicks around the ground with little impact.

More of this please Gawn

Last edited:
Does Gawn love the challenge of playing against another gun ruck? Seems to struggle to dominate games against average players who seem to just target him physically and attempt to negate him (Pittonet, Fort, even Nank/Chol when Nank got injured)

Played out of his skin tonight against Witts who's a great ruck. Took numerous big grabs and played with a lot more determination. The big grabs down the wing and pushing back are what lift the team, not accumulating kicks around the ground with little impact.

More of this please Gawn
I genuinely think he does. Has been great Vs Grundy and Nic Nat recently but big average against some total plodders.

Didn't see all the game as I was having dinner with fam, but really liked Oscar (rebounding from defence!), Hannan, Viney, Gawn and the Weid.
Oliver and Trac had some good and bad. Kozzy was smart inside 50. Loved the Bennell goal celebrations. Vanders laid some guys out nicely, but was a bit quiet otherwise.
May, Jetta and Lockhart were a bit iffy in defence, although some of those Suns goals were very arsey (looking at you, Rankine. Exciting talent though). Burned plenty of i50s and leaked some easy goals too.

Generally a positive performance though. Hopefully we can do the same against a plodding Hawthorn.

gawndog37

Senior List
Oct 18, 2016
AFL Club
Melbourne
I actually thought we were pretty average again. If it weren't for a few goals gifted to us from GC and 50m penalties, and us nailing our set shots and GC missing quite a few I don't think we would've won that. For the last quarter apart from the last 5 mins I thought we completely lost our composure, bombing on gawny's head became very predictable and there seemed to be no plan B. I thought we controlled the footy well and looked to switch a lot in the first 3 quarters but that all seemed to be thrown out the window. The way we played isn't sustainable against better teams and I still have no faith in goody.

Liked what I saw from Max, Weid, Omac, Hannan and Lever was better this week. The rest were all pretty meh.

Why is brayshaw playing on the wing when melksham was on ball at times?
Viney had good moments but still went at 52% disposal efficiency
Clarry had good moments but still had 6 clangers and went at 66% disposal efficiency
Trac kicked 2 good goals but had 8 clangers at 64% efficiency
Same problems still exist.

saj_21

Cancelled
Aug 30, 2007
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Warney's IPL team!
I genuinely think he does. Has been great Vs Grundy and Nic Nat recently but big average against some total plodders.

Didn't see all the game as I was having dinner with fam, but really liked Oscar (rebounding from defence!), Hannan, Viney, Gawn and the Weid.
Oliver and Trac had some good and bad. Kozzy was smart inside 50. Loved the Bennell goal celebrations. Vanders laid some guys out nicely, but was a bit quiet otherwise.
May, Jetta and Lockhart were a bit iffy in defence, although some of those Suns goals were very arsey (looking at you, Rankine. Exciting talent though). Burned plenty of i50s and leaked some easy goals too.

Generally a positive performance though. Hopefully we can do the same against a plodding Hawthorn.

i think round 1 this year was the first time gawn and Nic Nat played against each other since 2013

(Log in to remove this ad.)

saj_21

Cancelled
Aug 30, 2007
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Warney's IPL team!
I actually thought we were pretty average again. If it weren't for a few goals gifted to us from GC and 50m penalties, and us nailing our set shots and GC missing quite a few I don't think we would've won that. For the last quarter apart from the last 5 mins I thought we completely lost our composure, bombing on gawny's head became very predictable and there seemed to be no plan B. I thought we controlled the footy well and looked to switch a lot in the first 3 quarters but that all seemed to be thrown out the window. The way we played isn't sustainable against better teams and I still have no faith in goody.

Liked what I saw from Max, Weid, Omac, Hannan and Lever was better this week. The rest were all pretty meh.

Why is brayshaw playing on the wing when melksham was on ball at times?
Viney had good moments but still went at 52% disposal efficiency
Clarry had good moments but still had 6 clangers and went at 66% disposal efficiency
Trac kicked 2 good goals but had 8 clangers at 64% efficiency
Same problems still exist.

we were better than the low bar we set last week, but agree it wasn’t a top 4 performance but still confidence and reward for the changes made will hopefully have a positive affect.

But I will disagree, just saying we were lucky because we kicked our set shots and they didn’t isn’t a good argument. Good sides take their chances. In fact GC were really opportunistic in general play

May 3, 2014
AFL Club
Melbourne

I thought Nic Nat beat Gawn convincingly in Rd 1.

Jun 14, 2015
In a house with a sausage dog Trevor
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Port Adelaide Power
* that soulless club, plus the garish shopping mall it represents! It is right and just that Theme Park Land were beaten by Melbourne Demons (again!), a genuine and worthy football club with everything "suns" will never have- history, passion, premierships, supporters too! Despite handout after handout, priority picks as well, Gold Coast Scum, still they are all they have ever been, (all they ever will be), what else than bottom dwellers, "potential", nothing to see here! To borrow some professional wrestling parlance(terminology)... they are the "jobbers" of the AFL world, the Koko B. Ware to Melbourne Demons Bam Bam Bigelow!! Powerslam!!!!

Harley Bennell kicks the goal, the game is over, all team-mates "get around him!", pure sporting ecstasy if I ever I have felt it! And I swear to god at one point in my telecast they cut to suns coaching box and Stewerd Dew: eating cake, biscuits, potato chips too: enjoying that comfort food Stewie!? But why not try do some coaching while you're there having a snack...?!?!?!

(humble acknowledgement of opposition player) congratulations Mr. Rankine, on "Izak", the most bogan spelling of any first name in history! What is that, really!? Commentators acting like we are witness, all of us, to the most important moment in mankind's history, but my ears are bleeding! "THAT'S SOME GAME HE'S HAVING!!", seriously? A fluke goal or two, a little bit of Alexander Neal-Bullen, but the haircut is not even as good? In red and blue surely depth only, thank you very much, we have already one Pickett, one Hannan, and one Spargo in reserve! If suns field 18 first round draft picks including the best young forward in the league, how come I see Oscar MacDonald ducking, weaving, marking, running into space and taking big grabs like peak Matthew Scarlett?

I was screaming at the top of my voice, until there was no voice left, the wife very angry, still I couldn't help myself: "THE LEARNINGS ARE WORKING!! THE LEARNINGS ARE WORKING!!!!" (yes that was me), you could see it in Viney's eyes as he tackled like 2018, scanning the forward line not always kicking to an outnumbered spud, class, composure, CONNECTION!!!!

How many times have I seen Petracca line up from 20 metres only to miss when the momentum was all of our way? Many times, I cannot count them all, and many times I averted my eyeballs too. But in 2020, a new updated Petracca, now with added "clutch"!!!! GET OUT OF HIS WAY!!!!!

There are so many good things to discuss, debate, and dissect of this performance! It was not like any win for 2020 yet, or any win in 2019, it showed things I have missed in our few victories of late: character, resolve, determination, and goals that were deserved, goals that were earned, not just "freebies" the opposition bestowed on us because they decided on having a nap.... reward for effort, since when!??!?!

One more time with feeling! All up from here, I can feel it in the bones!!!!

fu** that soulless club, plus the garish shopping mall it represents! It is right and just that Theme Park Land were beaten by Melbourne Demons (again!), a genuine and worthy football club with everything "suns" will never have- history, passion, premierships, supporters too! Despite handout after handout, priority picks as well, Gold Coast Scum, still they are all they have ever been, (all they ever will be), what else than bottom dwellers, "potential", nothing to see here! To borrow some professional wrestling parlance(terminology)... they are the "jobbers" of the AFL world, the Koko B. Ware to Melbourne Demons Bam Bam Bigelow!! Powerslam!!!!

Harley Bennell kicks the goal, the game is over, all team-mates "get around him!", pure sporting ecstasy if I ever I have felt it! And I swear to god at one point in my telecast they cut to suns coaching box and Stewerd Dew: eating cake, biscuits, potato chips too: enjoying that comfort food Stewie!? But why not try do some coaching while you're there having a snack...?!?!?!

(humble acknowledgement of opposition player) congratulations Mr. Rankine, on "Izak", the most bogan spelling of any first name in history! What is that, really!? Commentators acting like we are witness, all of us, to the most important moment in mankind's history, but my ears are bleeding! "THAT'S SOME GAME HE'S HAVING!!", seriously? A fluke goal or two, a little bit of Alexander Neal-Bullen, but the haircut is not even as good? In red and blue surely depth only, thank you very much, we have already one Pickett, one Hannan, and one Spargo in reserve! If suns field 18 first round draft picks including the best young forward in the league, how come I see Oscar MacDonald ducking, weaving, marking, running into space and taking big grabs like peak Matthew Scarlett?

I was screaming at the top of my voice, until there was no voice left, the wife very angry, still I couldn't help myself: "THE LEARNINGS ARE WORKING!! THE LEARNINGS ARE WORKING!!!!" (yes that was me), you could see it in Viney's eyes as he tackled like 2018, scanning the forward line not always kicking to an outnumbered spud, class, composure, CONNECTION!!!!

How many times have I seen Petracca line up from 20 metres only to miss when the momentum was all of our way? Many times, I cannot count them all, and many times I averted my eyeballs too. But in 2020, a new updated Petracca, now with added "clutch"!!!! GET OUT OF HIS WAY!!!!!

There are so many good things to discuss, debate, and dissect of this performance! It was not like any win for 2020 yet, or any win in 2019, it showed things I have missed in our few victories of late: character, resolve, determination, and goals that were deserved, goals that were earned, not just "freebies" the opposition bestowed on us because they decided on having a nap.... reward for effort, since when!??!?!

One more time with feeling! All up from here, I can feel it in the bones!!!!
POTY. Never change, Toump.

stEdy

Premiership Player
Nov 2, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
It's fantastic to have some high impact per possession type players in our forward line now; Bennell, Kozzie and Hannan (13 touches, 8 touches and 8 touches)

Players that are natural forwards, who know how to kick a goal from a half chance and are clean at ground level.

Watching ANB/Spargo/CWags fumble the ball and generally hack it forward just kills ya. It's so refreshing seeing opposition defences genuinely worried about our small forwards now as they influence games from limited touches. Bennell still has another gear or two, but christ watching him glide around 1 touching everything is just so reassuring.

Whatever pick we give to North, it'll probably be worth it for Kozzie. Kid makes s**t happen

CTHORANGE

Premiership Player
May 7, 2012
AFL Club
Melbourne
Also. Beating Gold Coast this year a far better effort than last year. Sure they’ll likely drop away but they’re far more advanced this year.

so are Carlton apparently... have we gone too hard on Goodwin too soon, are we only a few tweaks off being half decent... if Tomlison nailed that goal against Geelong, we would be 3-1 since the restart. Too much optimism I know. This week against a revved up Hawthorn is the litmus test

so are Carlton apparently... have we gone too hard on Goodwin too soon, are we only a few tweaks off being half decent... if Tomlison nailed that goal against Geelong, we would be 3-1 since the restart. Too much optimism I know. This week against a revved up Hawthorn is the litmus test

No we didn't go too hard. The gameplan was hideous. There is no way we didn't make some significant adjustments this week and it's the same as it always was.

Even in the first quarter when we were behind you could see this wasn't the same Melbourne we'd seen the previous 3 weeks.

We played some proper football last night, the previous 3 weeks was a complete joke.

No we didn't go too hard. The gameplan was hideous. There is no way we didn't make some significant adjustments this week and it's the same as it always was.

Even in the first quarter when we were behind you could see this wasn't the same Melbourne we'd seen the previous 3 weeks.

We played some proper football last night, the previous 3 weeks was a complete joke.
Yep. The game Vs Geelong was probably the worst game I've ever seen. At least thrashings involve one side playing well, or beating up a crap team. Ghastly stuff from us, and Geelong really could've/should've won by more.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back