Review Dees v Gold Coast in Sydney: the Marginally Good, the Horrendous and the Up the Clacker

Remove this Banner Ad

They sure did, well for Rankine it might actually not be flukey, but the Ellis goals and the weller goal, yeh pretty flukey. But they also missed some basic set shots right in front of goals, felt like it evened out
It was funny that the commentators bagged Lever about the Weller goal, he played it pretty well in my eyes. Forcing him on his non-preferred might be a good idea further up the field, but would have opened up the whole 50 for him to pass or run into. He pushed him wide, Weller was just good enough to nail that shot. 8/10 blokes probably miss that.

It was funny that the commentators bagged Lever about the Weller goal, he played it pretty well in my eyes. Forcing him on his non-preferred might be a good idea further up the field, but would have opened up the whole 50 for him to pass or run into. He pushed him wide, Weller was just good enough to nail that shot. 8/10 blokes probably miss that.
Under pressure, wrong foot for the pocket, falling down. Try 90/100. Great goal.

Is it because he likes to partake in a bit of....

Weed

It would probably help a personality like him if anything. Should start ripping a few cones before games to stop him worrying so much.

ABray10

All Australian
Aug 30, 2017
AFL Club
Melbourne
Weid just seems to be better at offering a lead than most of our other forwards, gives an option, creates movement for our mids. Whether those mids will choose to use it or not will probably be a week by week prospect.

I dont smoke dope anymore ya pole smoker. was a massive stoner but reckon if i had a bong now I'd be a giggling mess

Better to be a giggling mess than just the mess you are. ;)

jhong

Old man yelling at clouds
Apr 18, 2011
Wonthaggi
AFL Club
Melbourne
He stays in the team .(Wied) If the mids actually give him the chance to be a forward , who knows he may actually turn out to be OK . I like him , but seriously who would want to be a forward with the way we deliver the ball inside 50? Look for him you pillocks , send the ball in to his advantage , if you know what that even means . While the media is wanking itself over that Suns player , we won the game idiots .
Speaking of horrendous , I appear to have grown up under a different version of Football. If someone can explain the "Holding the ball , dropping the ball " rule to me that would be ace . What happened to prior opportunity, or lack of, I have no idea what the Umps are doing out there ATM.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Crusty Demon

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 20, 2009
Brighton
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Leeds United
He stays in the team .(Wied) If the mids actually give him the chance to be a forward , who knows he may actually turn out to be OK . I like him , but seriously who would want to be a forward with the way we deliver the ball inside 50? Look for him you pillocks , send the ball in to his advantage , if you know what that even means . While the media is wanking itself over that Suns player , we won the game idiots .
Speaking of horrendous , I appear to have grown up under a different version of Football. If someone can explain the "Holding the ball , dropping the ball " rule to me that would be ace . What happened to prior opportunity, or lack of, I have no idea what the Umps are doing out there ATM.
Pretty sure he was easily the most targeted player on the ground in the forward half. We looked for him. Delivery could have been better, however he dropped a few as well. I thought he was exactly what we needed. He contested and made most contests 50/50 at least. He kicked a couple of goals. Kozzy will benefit from him being there. He HAS to stay in the side now.

Slander

Club Legend
Jan 20, 2005
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
Good:
Winning - not that it is up against much, however that was our most convincing performance for 12 months. Still frustrating at times but there was no implosion.

Coaching and match committee - incredible that it took this long, who would’ve thought picking a structured side and playing with some composure would pay off? Credit where it is due though...

Gawn, Oliver and Viney - they have deserved the criticism but that was a much needed step in the right direction. Gawn was far more effective with his marking behind the play than being a 7 foot ruck rover. Viney turned back the clock with controlled aggression, poised kicking, defensive efforts and excellent lateral movement to evade tackles. Oliver, still made a few errors but his intent was far better as was his kick to handball ratio.

Bennell, Hannan, Langdon, vandenBerg, May & O Mac all played their roles well.

Bad:
Weideman - he definitely straightened us up and did his job with the set shots but some of his marking efforts were very half-hearted. If he can improve his intensity towards this, his improvement will be palpable.

Petracca - like Weideman his goalkicking was good. However, somewhat ironically, the rest of the team improved their poise and he went backwards. Some absolutely honking use of the ball.

Lever - better than last week, but I don’t know if there is another highly paid player that loses his feet as much in contests. This is compounded by the fact his recovery from this is about as spry as an obese octogenarian. As a consequence he spends a lot of the game crab walking haplessly.

Brayshaw - has the intensity of an indoor cat. Really needs to lift his game, he is pissing his career away with these phone it in type performances.

Lockhart in the backline - do not like this, we should try him as a defensive forward, Bugg-style. Otherwise we should just play Nathan Jones who is a better all round footballer. Or blood Trent Rivers further.

Fugly:
Nearly had the game taken away from us by a debutant. Would’ve been so MFC to drop four points in an otherwise solid performance in such a fashion.

Umpires already giving Rankine some of the Dusty Martin superstar treatment. Nothing against the kid, but some of those frees/non-frees were ludicrous.

It’s been a hell of a fall from beating the Cats and Hawks in September 2018 to finding nourishment in beating an arguably-better-than-us Gold Coast Suns in a tight game.

Oct 13, 2015
Brisbane
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Blackhawks, 76ers
Lever - better than last week, but I don’t know if there is another highly paid player that loses his feet as much in contests. This is compounded by the fact his recovery from this is about as spry as an obese octogenarian. As a consequence he spends a lot of the game crab walking haplessly.
I wonder if that is a result of the multiple knee recos, and is a confidence thing at the moment, where he's more inclined to completely lose his feet, rather get a foot on the ground to try and stay upright, and risk it catching and the knee going with it. If it's anything like that, you'd think he'll get a bit more confidence in the knee holding up over time.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back