Dees v Gold Coast: the Good, Bad & Fugly - Round 20, 2021

Was unchecked a lot of the game, so unlikely to be given such space against a competitive team. I agree it was good to see him working through the centre square a lot more.

Some of his kicks inside forward 50 were excellent despite not getting the result we are after *cough* Brown *cough*... id like to see more of it. Him and Bowser getting possessions higher at times can only be a good thing.

GC's loose checking however was probably the result of this tho, yes, you're right.

appeared to me Salem might have played a bit higher today at times. certainly got some possessions in some position I liked.
Had 40 ******* supercoach points. 40! Season worst and has cost me multiple match ups. I'm very pissed at him, he was s**t.

Feb 15, 2015
South Yarra
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Mt Buller Demons
Twas just the tonic we needed. Bit of confidence back in the group to take the game on again and kick some goals, we were getting stale.

Appreciate it for my own sanity as well. There is only so much of 55 def 52 I can take.

GG GC witches hats.
I was pleased for this reason. I sat down with low expectations, saying here we go boys - ruin my week. I don’t know what my emotions are now. Puzzled but certainly a better day then I was preparing myself for

stEdy

Premiership Player
Nov 2, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
I think we loved playing under the lid to be honest, instead of another game at the G in the wet.

Meant we could take some risky kicks and take the game on ball in hand.

We've played a heap of games at the G in the wet this year, which has added to our defensive arm wrestles

The Dr

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 20, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
I think we loved playing under the lid to be honest, instead of another game at the G in the wet.

Meant we could take some risky kicks and take the game on ball in hand.

We've played a heap of games at the G in the wet this year, which has added to our defensive arm wrestles

Agree. Marvel seems to be where we play our best footy.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Apr 13, 2015
AFL Club
Melbourne
Pathetic, club has missed finals by percentage 2 years from 4 and we still can't win by 100!?

Sack Groody
Classic 2nd year Burgess blues. We were warned about this by Port fans. Can’t wait for him to leave. We should be in talks with Robert Harvey too, completely outcoached premiership coach Adam Simpson yesterday.
and don't get me started on those soft Joe the Goose goals we were kicking
Yep, need to be working harder on goal scoring. JTG is a lazy way to do it. I want to see more hand balling about 50m out.

deeco

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 3, 2012
AFL Club
Melbourne
Classic 2nd year Burgess blues. We were warned about this by Port fans. Can’t wait for him to leave. We should be in talks with Robert Harvey too, completely outcoached premiership coach Adam Simpson yesterday.

Yep, need to be working harder on goal scoring. JTG is a lazy way to do it. I want to see more hand balling about 50m out.
Not giving Harvey a call would be negligence of the highest order by the board.

stEdy

Premiership Player
Nov 2, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne

We won't be allowed to kick JTG in finals. Sack Stafford.

Grimesy87

Cancelled
May 22, 2018
AFL Club
Melbourne
Not sure if it's been posted, and thanks to A11dAtP0w3R for getting me interested in this.

Of our 18.20 today.

18 goals, 5 posters, 7 rushed behinds. 8 genuine misses.

So off the boot, we actually went 18.13.

Harmes kicked 0.3 of that 13 behinds too.

Our "expected score" was 28.10.

Hopefully we can treat west coast to some accuracy next week, I reckon they are open to a 80 point beating.

Topkent

Confirmed ITK Drafting King
Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
Not sure if it's been posted, and thanks to A11dAtP0w3R for getting me interested in this.

Of our 18.20 today.

18 goals, 5 posters, 7 rushed behinds. 8 genuine misses.

So off the boot, we actually went 18.13.

Harmes kicked 0.3 of that 13 behinds too.

Our "expected score" was 28.10.

Hopefully we can treat west coast to some accuracy next week, I reckon they are open to a 80 point beating.

Some of those rushed behinds are the crap kicks from Gus and Viney that were just punched across the line. Worse than a miss

Dec 15, 2008
Voyager 1
AFL Club
Melbourne
Good
Looking forward to reading @SugarHealey’s thoughts about how ‘Oli’ went this game…
Excellent game from Oli.
Especially The first half. I didn't see much of the remainder of the game, as I had to do much needed work on the wheels. But I have no issues with what I saw from him today, as it's exactly what I've been asking of him. A smart and selfless game, in which I even saw him run to block for a teammate. A first that I've witnessed from his games.

He definitely helped to set the game up; along with the teams manic pressure on the Suns, especially the teams inside F50 pressure.

Just about the best all round game I've witnessed from Oli. 'Composure plus', is the word I would describe of Oli's game today.

markm106

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 29, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
when Harmes wasn’t trying to do too much and break five tackles, have a shot instead of pass or getting in front of a key forward going for a mark he played well. Did some nice things at times but they were overshadowed by the poor bits of play. Hopefully he’s given some feedback this week.
Overall a really positive team performance. The defence just didn’t want to concede after quarter time. Fair enough that sums barely got it done there. But May Lever and Petty were rock solid.

MartinPrince

Team Captain
Nov 2, 2020
Brno, Czech
AFL Club
Melbourne
Good

Keeping the suns to 4 goals
Doggas polish infront of goal
Gawns banana
Bowey debut

bad

18.20 - the rushed behinds and misses mixed were a dint in the score.

ugly

I couldn't get to go watch this massacre live

Grimesy87

Cancelled
May 22, 2018
AFL Club
Melbourne
Some of those rushed behinds are the crap kicks from Gus and Viney that were just punched across the line. Worse than a miss
Oh absolutely. Gus chipping it to the goal line might have been one of the dumbest plays I've seen. In what world does that work? That's a 1 in 10 chance kick that someone is free there. Does my ******* head in

LarryDavidNeitz

Club Legend
Sep 9, 2020
AFL Club
Melbourne
Good:
Most things, Bowey debut, Trac up forward more, Oliver actually hitting targets by foot, Jackson having an amazing first half, Rivers' attack on the ball and clean hands, Kosi's finishing, keeping Gold Coast to minimal inside 50s, sort of putting them to the sword (last quarter aside).
Forward 50 tackling was great.
Apart from one terrible turnover in the first quarter, quite liked Sparrow's game. Would have that over Harmes' effort any day.

Bad:
Tmac's back, hopefully it isn't too bad. Hopefully they're taking Weid to Perth as cover.
Harmes' woeful finishing
Harmes' constant need to feed his ego by waiting for an opponent to try and don't argue every time he gets the ball.

Good:
Most things, Bowey debut, Trac up forward more, Oliver actually hitting targets by foot, Jackson having an amazing first half, Rivers' attack on the ball and clean hands, Kosi's finishing, keeping Gold Coast to minimal inside 50s, sort of putting them to the sword (last quarter aside).
Forward 50 tackling was great.
Apart from one terrible turnover in the first quarter, quite liked Sparrow's game. Would have that over Harmes' effort any day.

Bad:
Tmac's back, hopefully it isn't too bad. Hopefully they're taking Weid to Perth as cover.
Harmes' woeful finishing
Harmes' constant need to feed his ego by waiting for an opponent to try and don't argue every time he gets the ball.

Agree with all your points apart from Sparrow, laid some epic tackles but there was plenty more horrible disposals than just that one handball where he s**t himself.

LarryDavidNeitz

Club Legend
Sep 9, 2020
AFL Club
Melbourne
Agree with all your points apart from Sparrow, laid some epic tackles but there was plenty more horrible disposals than just that one handball where he sh*t himself.

You've forced me to check the stats, which I hate doing, and he had four turnovers. * you and * Sparrow.

You've forced me to check the stats, which I hate doing, and he had four turnovers. fu** you and fu** Sparrow.

That doesn't even included him torching a wide open Pickett and missing a goal either.

Apart from hating Harmes, Harmes had atleast 5x the game of Sparrow. No doubt at all.

He was s**t mate. And ive been a fan of his work this year. Played hero ball too much yesterday

Back