saj_21

Cancelled
Melbourne Board Tipping Champion
Aug 30, 2007
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Warney's IPL team!
It's been nice to return to normality after last years dizzying highs.

Seems we have no kick in plan other than kick it to Max and hope he clunks it.

Would it kill us to lower the eyes going into the forward 50? FFS it hasn't worked the first twenty times, it doesn't look like things are going to change, how about honour a lead?

Even when they do lower their eyes (Harmes) the players drag their opponents to the ball and allow a 1 v 1 to become 2 c 2. Like Tmac did on hunt in the second quarter.

Fork n Hell

Premiership Player
Mar 7, 2018
AFL Club
Melbourne
Even when they do lower their eyes (Harmes) the players drag their opponents to the ball and allow a 1 v 1 to become 2 c 2. Like Tmac did on hunt in the second quarter.
yep there's no system whatsoever that I can see going inside F50. they all just converge on the same spot all the time and get in each others way. its damning of our coaches in my eyes that they cant come up with a basic plan that players can understand and actually works. it really is pathetic.

So which bandwagon are you lads jumping on for the remainder of the season?

Ours is full but we could make some exceptions.

Just a s**t year guys, nothing has gone right. Expose the list for the remainder of the year and reset for no doubt a better 2020.

Feb 15, 2015
South Yarra
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Mt Buller Demons
I thought we were ace. I was pretty drunk though. But who knows - its a funny old game, Frosty was still a spooked horse so that's good, Oskar etc. Things. I have lots of thoughts albeit very drunk once. I'm going to watch re-runs of peep show until I pass out thanks

I thought we were ace. I was pretty drunk though. But who knows - its a funny old game, Frosty was still a spooked horse so that's good, Oskar etc. Things. I have lots of thoughts albeit very drunk once. I'm going to watch re-runs of peep show until I pass out thanks
POTY PerfectFooty

Cannon82

Cancelled
10k Posts Melbourne Poster of the Year Melbourne Demons - Ben Kennedy Player Sponsor 2016 Melbourne Demons - Jeremy Howe Player Sponsor 2015 Melbourne Demons - Dom Barry Sponsor 2014 Melbourne Demons - Jeremy Howe Sponsor 2014
Oct 26, 2012
AFL Club
Melbourne
Just remembered something I saw today thats summed up our game/season. Tim smith lead and the ball was kicked over his head. He didn't even bother putting his hands up and had a look on his face of 'that was rat ****.' I don't blame him either.

Must have been the inspiration for his delivery inside 50 where there wasn't a Dees player with 15 metres of the ball drop.

Demon4123

Senior List
Aug 7, 2013
AFL Club
Melbourne
I’m emotionally spent. I’ve followed this club for over 50 years and they still continually break my heart. I live interstate and have been a paid up member for over 20 years. Even though I don’t get to watch them live because of distance I front up every year and buy a membership. I’m thinking seriously about not doing that next year due to the fact I feel let down by their lack of effort.

Topkent

Confirmed ITK Drafting King
Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
So which bandwagon are you lads jumping on for the remainder of the season?
None I hate the AFL. Kinda wish I could shake Melbourne for good so I could do something more productive for 3 hours on a weekend like count the hairs on my head or try an throw a grain of sand to land on an another grain of sand from 20m away

Jon Koncak

Baseline leaner
Aug 16, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
GS Warriors, NY Giants, ORE Ducks
GOOD
Gawn - I fear we are wasting one of the most amazing peaks of ruckman's career.
Hore - Has settled beautifully after his first couple of games. Intercept game is intuitive. Disposal is poised. Has battled manfully on taller forwards. Arguably best 22 even if we had May, Lever, Hibberd, Nev available (I would have Frost in our best backline and then either Marty with Salem up the field or Salem).
Harmes - Think he has taken another step this year with his disposal. Gives us a slightly different look in the midfield which we desperately need.

BAD/UGLY
Genuinely don't know what to make of next year. I'm inclined to believe the foundation is there:
- Plenty of key players in or coming into their prime
- a dominant ruckman feeding a group of good young midfielders who have a track record of generating high clearance/I50 numbers.
- a backline which if at full strength LOOKS like it could be fairly dynamic/interchangable.

FB JETTA MAY LEVER
HB HIBBERD FROST HORE
C BRAYSHAW HARMES SALEM
HF MELKSHAM Weidemann? FA small fwd?
FF PETRACCA T.MCDONALD Hannan?
FOLL GAWN OLIVER VINEY
B Top 5 pick ? ? ?

But we're at a point now which we look to have built a hammer rather than a scalpel, a blunt instrument that can smash away at clearances and I50's but otherwise don't seem to have been able to add layers to this (i.e. stop sending an extra to clearances, stop sending every man in a stoppage to the ball, moving the ball I50 efficiently, crumbing I50).

Maybe this works. Maybe the backline works out as we expected. Maybe we get back to dominating contested possessions and I50s and add a better class of small forwards to crumb the bombs to outnumbers. Maybe the big issue this year has been fitness and then a loss of confidence. The whole thing just seems so fragile though.

May 3, 2014
AFL Club
Melbourne
Today was hard to watch but I think we were simply outclassed by a very good team that came to play & put the MCG hoodoo to rest. I never got the impression that players werent trying (Maybe a little bit in the 3rd) (And Brayshaw can have a spell in the twos) At the moment we simply don't have the cattle available to be competitive. The fact that we were competitive against West Coast last week says more about them than us.

This isn't a rose colored post either. I'm well aware we have been poor all year but I am a little surprised by some of the posts stating they have reached their breaking point with the club.

I'd be very interested to know the website where you compare the two teams & find out the difference in games played. It would have to be one of least experienced teams we have ever fielded.

Topkent

Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
Today was hard to watch but I think we were simply outclassed by a very good team that came to play & put the MCG hoodoo to rest. I never got the impression that players werent trying (Maybe a little bit in the 3rd) (And Brayshaw can have a spell in the twos) At the moment we simply don't have the cattle available to be competitive. The fact that we were competitive against West Coast last week says more about them than us.

This isn't a rose colored post either. I'm well aware we have been poor all year but I am a little surprised by some of the posts stating they have reached their breaking point with the club.

I'd be very interested to know the website where you compare the two teams & find out the difference in games played. It would have to be one of least experienced teams we have ever fielded.

The reason is is because had we not pulled out a miracle against the GC, there was a period early in the saints v blues game where we would have been bottom of the ladder. Bloody 18th after making a prelim final.

Jon Koncak

Baseline leaner
Aug 16, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams

Footywire
E7C450DF-10F1-46FB-B8B1-FEE7D3CF4D2F.png

Charlie_s123

Premium Platinum
Jun 1, 2012
AFL Club
Melbourne
GOOD
Gawn - I fear we are wasting one of the most amazing peaks of ruckman's career.
Hore - Has settled beautifully after his first couple of games. Intercept game is intuitive. Disposal is poised. Has battled manfully on taller forwards. Arguably best 22 even if we had May, Lever, Hibberd, Nev available (I would have Frost in our best backline and then either Marty with Salem up the field or Salem).
Harmes - Think he has taken another step this year with his disposal. Gives us a slightly different look in the midfield which we desperately need.

BAD/UGLY
Genuinely don't know what to make of next year. I'm inclined to believe the foundation is there:
- Plenty of key players in or coming into their prime
- a dominant ruckman feeding a group of good young midfielders who have a track record of generating high clearance/I50 numbers.
- a backline which if at full strength LOOKS like it could be fairly dynamic/interchangable.

FB JETTA MAY LEVER
HB HIBBERD FROST HORE
C BRAYSHAW HARMES SALEM
HF MELKSHAM Weidemann? FA small fwd?
FF PETRACCA T.MCDONALD Hannan?
FOLL GAWN OLIVER VINEY
B Top 5 pick ? ? ?

But we're at a point now which we look to have built a hammer rather than a scalpel, a blunt instrument that can smash away at clearances and I50's but otherwise don't seem to have been able to add layers to this (i.e. stop sending an extra to clearances, stop sending every man in a stoppage to the ball, moving the ball I50 efficiently, crumbing I50).

Maybe this works. Maybe the backline works out as we expected. Maybe we get back to dominating contested possessions and I50s and add a better class of small forwards to crumb the bombs to outnumbers. Maybe the big issue this year has been fitness and then a loss of confidence. The whole thing just seems so fragile though.
s**t, please don’t post again. Your intelligent and well constructed analysis makes me even more worried than I was before.

Jon Koncak

Baseline leaner
Aug 16, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
****, please don’t post again. Your intelligent and well constructed analysis makes me even more worried than I was before.

Haha I’ve tried all of it. Angry mess. Emotional mess. Apathy.

This time around though it’s more bewilderment, genuinely at a loss as to how this is going. I wasn’t one who thought we were necessarily going to crack Tier 1 with the likes of RICH, COLL, WCE but 100% thought our floor was 8th. We’ve slowly built up on the kind of footy that should be sustainable (contested footy).

Topkent

Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets

This time around though it’s more bewilderment, genuinely at a loss as to how this is going. I wasn’t one who thought we were necessarily going to crack Tier 1 with the likes of RICH, COLL, WCE but 100% thought our floor was 8th. We’ve slowly built up on the kind of footy that should be sustainable (contested footy).

The 'contested' ball sides are all s**t now. Sydney North Dogs and us. It's become ultra important to take your opportunities going forward and these teams all built contested footy without outside mids and small forwards.

Charlie_s123

Premium Platinum
Jun 1, 2012
AFL Club
Melbourne

I admire your resilience. I’ve been stuck at ‘emotional mess’ going on 20 odd years now.

Back