Review Dees v GWS @ the Last Chance Saloon: the Good, Bad & Seasons-Buster

Remove this Banner Ad

Apr 13, 2015
AFL Club
Melbourne
I honestly could not believe how good he was one on one on a variety of opponents he found himself against in the flow of the game. Beat Greene beat Cameron beat Kelly. Was a machine tonight. Took up the slack for Lever who played like an absolute spud.
As much as I love piling on Lever he was also very good in a couple of key contests in the last with the game on the line. The mark against Greene and quick switch kick was crucial.

Oct 18, 2013
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Carolina Panthers
As much as I love piling on Lever he was also very good in a couple of key contests in the last with the game on the line. The mark against Greene and quick switch kick was crucial.

Dropped so many marks which ended up in Giants scores. Was good late but if we lost he was the one I had locked and loaded in the gun.

slackboy72

All Australian
Aug 16, 2020
AFL Club
Melbourne
Good: Steven May is a rock

Bad: Umpires were terrible especially on diving at peoples feet

Ugly: Did I mention the Umpires? How did Mumford not give away a free kick tonight?

Oct 18, 2013
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Carolina Panthers
Good: Steven May is a rock

Bad: Umpires were terrible especially on diving at peoples feet

Ugly: Did I mention the Umpires? How did Mumford not give away a free kick tonight?

He did when he belted Oliver and Gawn took the advantage and kicked it straight to a Giant.

stEdy

Premiership Player
Nov 2, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
Lever killed me all night but that contested grab on Greene and switch was crucial.

I like that he backs himself and doesn't go into his shell. He always tries to makes the play, even if he's fluffing it. Needs to tidy up his game but stood up late when it counted.

I think he'll put it all together. He's a good combo with May

djpaulydemon

Club Legend
Oct 19, 2013
AFL Club
Melbourne
Lever isn't my whipping boy but I reckon 4-5 goals can be directly traced to him.

Bad kick i can live with, dropped marks not as much but at least he is in the right position. And he got a few late.

But its when he goes up the ground for a spoil and doesn't run back is what absolutely kills me. A spoil back into the corridor while his man goes a 30 m head start in front of goals is just bad football. Most of the time the spoil is hardly needed anyway as its a pack of 6 players.

djpaulydemon

Club Legend
Oct 19, 2013
AFL Club
Melbourne
He usually panics and does dumb sh*t. Was cool as a cucumber tonight tho.
He is very serviceable when he doesn't fly for marks and leave his man. He is so much better as a tweener than Omac and so much faster. He needs to be given no licence to leave his man and then always play him on the second most dangerous forward.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Oceanlabxo

Debutant
Oct 19, 2017
AFL Club
Melbourne
outstanding: simon goodwin reaction image will be everywhere for a while

good: a win, obviously, needed and took 3 attempts at a 'must win' match to get it.
pickett's best game, hes like 80% of the way there to being excellent
the usual suspects, may truck oliver langdon salem all excellent
joel smith? hello? since when can you actually play a solid lockdown role?
spargo + rivers, best games ive seen them play
coming back after falling off in the second half and actually holding on, very clutch
baker a few handy goals

bad: mumford, an absolute thug shouldn't even be playing all he does it hit people
umpiring was rotten both ways
lever is 50% may 50% omac currently
weid didn't do anything
jetta looks pretty spent
viney had one of his off games (can you blame him after that hit last week, woulda killed me)
melksham's done nothing in a month

ugly: max gawn's kicking and decision making was horrible tonight, what the * was he doing multiple times. either a dump kick into the 50 to a 3 on 1 or turning it over. easily the biggest hole in his game
uncontested overlap goals, happens every week, donno if it's the press being too far forward but they just walk through to free players everywhere
giving up a run of 6 goals in 7 in the middle of the game. can't turn off like that and we seem to do it regularily.
can't see us not finishing 9th

Oct 18, 2013
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Carolina Panthers
Fugly: the post game coverage on Foxtel is perhaps the worst thing to happen on television, apart from Bounce.

Na it's even worse than bounce now. Jobs getting laid off everywhere and they employ those three to sit around and dribble complete
s**t for an hour.

Apr 13, 2015
AFL Club
Melbourne
Na it's even worse than bounce now. Jobs getting laid off everywhere and they employ those three to sit around and dribble complete
sh*t for an hour.
It’s definitely a close run thing. I saw about 5 minutes of an episode of Bounce that had Sharni Layton on it. How could Dan Andrews let this happen?

Last edited:
Oct 18, 2013
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Carolina Panthers
I actually enjoyed Goody's press conference for a change. Instead of the back slapping he usually does saying how all the players are "outstanding* he actually said that's the standard of effort I expect on a weekly basis or something like that.

Less being their best buddy, more being their coach. A 3 year learning.

Topkent

Confirmed ITK Drafting King
Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
Steven May you ******* warrior mate. Shoving it right up the campaigners who were sooking about his trade every single week. An absoloute man mountain.
Kozzie Pickett's first half was awesome, getting up the ground and then the crazy work rate to get forward again aswell. People writing him off are idiots, fair dinkum gonna be embarassed in a year or 2.
Ed Langdon * am I eating humble pie on this bloke, his last 6-8 weeks whatever you wanna call it has been really good. He's one of the best wingers in the game. Gonna be one of the trade steals of the decade. Single handedly helped us transition with pure work rate a number of times. He is everything we need in this team. Another of him would be perfect.
Trent Rivers looked good up around the midfield, a different look type of player. Took his chances
Petracca heavy tag but produced that freakish moment when it counted, you're a star mate.

djpaulydemon

Club Legend
Oct 19, 2013
AFL Club
Melbourne
Lost inside 50's, centre clearances and uncontested possessions, which he often have in our wins this year.

This week won uncontested possessions and marks and looked like we had a lot more run. Big difference in the amount of leading and back half handball chains.

And the forward positioning and pressure was a lot better. We didn't need repeat entries because so many snaps were goals.

Still a lot more improvement could be made in the centre circle. Viney was really off and Melk and VDB pretty average.

Langdon was amazing and Baker was good on as well. I've thought this would naturally be the wing set up all year but its seems like the first game it was used properly

Remove this Banner Ad

Back