Review Dees v GWS @ the Last Chance Saloon: the Good, Bad & Seasons-Buster

Note that Langdon had 10 turnovers tonight but don’t think the Giants scored from too many of them. Has been the case all year, we rarely get burned when he turns it over bc it’s not in a dangerous spot on the wing.

HANDSOLO

Club Legend
May 19, 2014
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Broncos
Steven May you ******* warrior mate. Shoving it right up the campaigners who were sooking about his trade every single week. An absoloute man mountain.

But Hogan Kicked 4 Goals!!!!! (from 6 touches)

Topkent

Confirmed ITK Drafting King
Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
Team bad- Melksham, Vanders, Jetta all cooked. I don't think we can be a good team with all 3 playing let alone even 2. I'd keep Vanders but I also like him, he's probably cooked.

Billy Demon

Senior List
Jun 12, 2011
AFL Club
Melbourne
Have a look at the names coming up and being praised. New young players which is great. It looks like our drafting and recruiting is giving us a solid foundation. Now we should get rid of about 10 list cloggers and hopefully replace them with trades/drafts that give us a very nice list. Then we just need a good game plan/coaches and the next 5 years could give us some hope .

Team bad- Melksham, Vanders, Jetta all cooked. I don't think we can be a good team with all 3 playing let alone even 2. I'd keep Vanders but I also like him, he's probably cooked.
We all like vanders but he’s done - unless he can brings his September 2018 edge now, but it’s looking unlikely

he wasn’t that bad tonight really but just not bringing enough, I like Melksham more

Demons Advocate

Senior List
Jul 11, 2016
AFL Club
Melbourne
GOOD
* winning a nice game of footy, shoot-out , close one, nice
* Langdon and May
* Daniels and Baker's and Rivers' goals

BAD
* People falling for Smith, he's a potato guys. Don't be fooled by Giants' lazy key forwards

*Pickett is nearly there man! But he never finishes his good work

IDIOTIC
*2 minutes before half-time *

Darcy: "bit of feedback coming through on the Melbourne footy club jumper..... not all of it positive"

Richo: "why would they be wearing it?"

Darcy: "not too sure, Richo"

Because we're trying to make money you *s, by putting members' names on the jumper, do the slightest bit of research pre game you haemorrhoids. If I was as bad at my job as Richo, Darcy and Lingy I'd be in jail or at least unemployed.

Phew sorry I just really hate the state of commentary

Topkent

Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
We all like vanders but he’s done - unless he can brings his September 2018 edge now, but it’s looking unlikely

he wasn’t that bad tonight really but just not bringing enough, I like Melksham more
Melkshams done * all aswell. Goals down, GA down, averaging 1 tackle a game. Hannan gets dropped for 1 bad game, Melkshams had a bad season.

Apr 13, 2015
AFL Club
Melbourne
Good:
Got the result. A win is a win.

I know it’s promotional tat but I liked our jumper.

Quite a few individuals, particularly a few of the whipping boys stood up when counted. Baker, Brown, Fritsch, Lever, Salem, Spargo & Smith all stood up in key moments with the game on the line.

Langdon & May continued their outstanding seasons.

Rivers was excellent. He looks a terrific pickup.

Bad:
Still not convinced. Always happy to take the win but we barely scraped home against a similarly disorganised mob. They were beaten by Adelaide, who are terrible, had one day less break than us, none of their first choice KPDs and had 8 changes including dumping their captain. We’d still want to improve a lot to beat Essendon.

Jetta hobbling off.

Melksham was poor again.

Viney was ordinary, expected a better performance from him.

Fugly:
The cognitive conflict of wanting us to make finals but the most likely well-founded fear that we could well screw it up against Essendon or have a West Coast 2018 prelim disaster if we do make it.

The coverage of the game is a disgrace. The Hutchy business model is in effect throughout the AFL broadcasting world. Commentators who do no research and panels offering wafer-thin analysis. Yuck.

Deelighted

Club Legend
Aug 2, 2009
AFL Club
Melbourne
Good:
Better contribution accross the board, nowhere near as many passengers as the last few weeks
Baker & Riv snagging a couple each
Koz & Spargo having an impact as small forwards
Petracca, Langdon & May continuing their great seasons

Bad:
Lever dropping everything
Bad errors in the second quarter leading to easy goals

Fugly:
Mistook Joel Smith for Tom Gillies multiple times (he played ok though)

HANDSOLO

Club Legend
May 19, 2014
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Broncos
Didn't watch it or care, guessing they were all uncontested marks or jogging into an open goal from someone else's hard work.

I know dude I was just trying to start a fire - as you know we are totally aligned on hogan

Dancing Potato

Premiership Player
Jul 7, 2015
AFL Club
Melbourne
What the hell is going on with Melksham? What he brings to the team is based on smarts and skills, so he shouldn't be dropping off a cliff at 29.

Probably should have been moved out of the midfield rotations by half time.

GOOD
* winning a nice game of footy, shoot-out , close one, nice
* Langdon and May
* Daniels and Baker's and Rivers' goals

BAD
* People falling for Smith, he's a potato guys. Don't be fooled by Giants' lazy key forwards

*Pickett is nearly there man! But he never finishes his good work

IDIOTIC
*2 minutes before half-time *

Darcy: "bit of feedback coming through on the Melbourne footy club jumper..... not all of it positive"

Richo: "why would they be wearing it?"

Darcy: "not too sure, Richo"

Because we're trying to make money you ******s, by putting members' names on the jumper, do the slightest bit of research pre game you haemorrhoids. If I was as bad at my job as Richo, Darcy and Lingy I'd be in jail or at least unemployed.

Phew sorry I just really hate the state of commentary
Why are people forgetting how good trac's goal was? 7 didn't even put it in their full match highlights. I thought it was a fantastic goal too

The Dr

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 20, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
What the hell is going on with Melksham? What he brings to the team is based on smarts and skills, so he shouldn't be dropping off a cliff at 29.

Probably should have been moved out of the midfield rotations by half time.

He was just about worst on ground last night and has been poor all year. He doesn’t apply any defensive pressure and tries for miracle kicks all game - the odd one comes off but a lot don’t.

Nev looks cooked but that contest which hurt him epitomises his career. Legend.

Viney was so bad it was almost funny.

Sorry, started with the negatives!

May was a class above any key defenders I’ve seen in red and blue. Hopefully the umpires pay attention with three Brownlow votes.

Trac’s goal was insane. Not many AFL players could do that. Good lesson for him getting a hard tag and still contributing.

Loved Pickett’s game except for his finishing.

Langdon was unreal.

Baker showed signs.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

mrmonkey

Brownlow Medallist
Dec 3, 2010
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
The ugly really was the Umpiring for both sides coupled with the team just going to sleep for a few periods in the game.

A very even effort I thought all around. Hunt was pretty quiet but I don't think the way the team comes into the forward 50 helps him out very much. Weideman at least brought the ball to the ground but could not get on the scoreboard.

Enjoyed Smiths game he had some big moments (1 on 1 with Cameron for example). Pickett once he works out his goal kicking game looks good. Rivers is a big find really excited to see him next year.

What does all this mean. A win is a win and sets up the team to actually play finals and get that experience.
That was quite the moment thought he completed well throughout the night. He also went back with the flight of the ball with greene and his boot coming from behind.

Didn't watch it or care, guessing they were all uncontested marks or jogging into an open goal from someone else's hard work.

I only watched a bit of the game but it was a 66 point win against North wouldn't have been a hard day at the office.

Great start disappointing to hand them the momentum so easily but we hung in there. The best thing was getting the game back on our terms after about 1 and a half quarters of getting dominated by gws. I honestly couldn't see it happening considering the way the last two games went. At least now we get a good enough rest.

markm106

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 29, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
Great win. But where was that v swans and Freo??

Looks like we nailed last years draft. Kozzy and Rivers vital last night.
Baker I thought would be dropped but played a good game.
Langdon was terrific again. Doesn’t stop running.
May a rock in defence.
A pretty solid effort all round Clarry Trac and Gawn all performed well in the middle.
Viney was off but played well in the last. Lever had a shocker but steadied in the last to.
The umpires had a mare. And Mummy throwing his arms around all night is ridiculous. Especially the way the commentators laugh about it. And then when he copped Rivers high they said it was an accident. LOL.

I thought nev and vanders were fine last night honestly. Nev's smarts are still there and he can play a role for us. (If his body can hold together) Vanders did some good things in the back half last night.

Melksham I agree, doesn't look himself but the other two contribute in ways that dont show up on the stat sheet.

Topkent

Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
I just don't get how we can't get Baker and Hunt more involved. Neither had a possession outside the 50 it felt like. Baker kicked a couple out of his ass but was invisible the rest of the game. Same with Hunt. How we can't manufacture it so they get it in space and run and carry is wild.

No one really mentioned him yet but put ANB in the Spargo and Baker category. Thought he was really effective when he got the ball last night. Certainly no star but played well enough.

Crusty Demon

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 20, 2009
Brighton
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Leeds United
Good

Great game to watch. Goals, contests, drama, tight contest. Need more like it.

Fight. I wrote us off going into the last quarter. Our run had stopped, they were walking in goals. But to the boys credit, we showed fight. That's what we ask every week.

Langdon. I knew the second we got him this was a great pick up. Not great by foot, but the running he does puts him in the positions we need someone. He's always there.

May/Trac. Our best two players stood up. Trac showed he can beat a hard tag and May is surely now the best full back in the comp.

Rivers. Boy oh boy, wowee have we got one here. This last draft is looking a big win for us.

Jetta. This guy just puts his body on the line time and time again. His body might not be able to do what it used to, but he still puts it on the line everytime.

Bad

Melksham. Been MIA for 2 years. Is he done?

Lever. Whatever we're paying, it's too much. Stood up in the final minute or so, but cost us 4 or more goals. Dropping simple chest marks shouldn't be a thing when getting paid what he does.

Fritsch. The most frustrating player on our list. Tries to take ridiculous hangers, goes to ground far too easy, plays from behind, for a lovely kick he's rarely on target for goal. Needs a good forward coach clearly..

Viney. Mate, i love your hardness but stop trying to run through 3 tacklers. Give the first option and stop trying to be a hero every single contest.

Weid. Can't get involved at all last few weeks. It's great we got multiple goals from Rivers, Baker, Spargo etc but we can't expect to win most weeks unless our our main forward targets hit the scoreboard. Needs to find a way.

Ugly

Umpires. Wtf? Some of those ruck infringements were mindboggling. That free on DeBoar which cost a goal? Wtf was that? DeBoar acted like he'd been shot and clearly not infringed. Another horrible night for the umps.

Mumford. What a sniping c***.

Commentators. Saying multiple times that the sniping c*** wasn't belting our blokes deliberately. Cmon. Took put Oliver with an arm. Punched Gawn in the back of the head. Tried to clothesline Rivers. Ridiculous to believe he wasn't doing this s*** on purpose.

Why are people forgetting how good trac's goal was? 7 didn't even put it in their full match highlights. I thought it was a fantastic goal too
It was prime Gary Ablett esc honestly. Unbelievable skill in it.

Everyone whinging about Mumford. But we'd love him if he was on our team. Gives up free kicks the hard way, which is the best way.

Back