Review Dees v Handbaggers Apocalypse Now - the Good, the Bad and the Fugly

Remove this Banner Ad

Result still hasn't sunk in.

After Geelong kicked those last 2 goals before half time, I wouldn't say I was nervous, but definitely cautious.

What we did in the first 5 minutes of the third quarter will go down in footy prelim final folklore. Was almost perfect footy.

Not much to say that hasn't already been said, but was good to see Tommy Mac have a bit more impact tonight too.

Jack Viney played one of the all time finals games too, especially his first half. He rarely wasted a disposal, and his ability to get up and down the ground from contest to contest was fantastic.

Just so proud of the whole group tonight, but especially for some of the more maligned players who cop it ok here- guys like ANB, Spargo, Gus etc. They are driving this team by taking their chances and playing their roles just as much as the stars are in my view.

Never thought we would be here during 2013. Hell, even 2019.

Go dees

After Geelong kicked those last 2 goals before half time, I wouldn't say I was nervous, but definitely cautious.

What we did in the first 5 minutes of the third quarter will go down in footy prelim final folklore. Was almost perfect footy.

Not much to say that hasn't already been said, but was good to see Tommy Mac have a bit more impact tonight too.

Jack Viney played one of the all time finals games too, especially his first half. He rarely wasted a disposal, and his ability to get up and down the ground from contest to contest was fantastic.

Just so proud of the whole group tonight, but especially for some of the more maligned players who cop it ok here- guys like ANB, Spargo, Gus etc. They are driving this team by taking their chances and playing their roles just as much as the stars are in my view.

Never thought we would be here during 2013. Hell, even 2019.

Go dees

Yeah Viney was immense. Harmes too. Those second-tier mids really stood up.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

And another in reverse:
Fugly: putting my two oldest sons down at birth for MCC membership thus consigning them to decades of footy misery.
Bad: I remember too many of said decades of footy misery.
Good: watching match last night with same sons on video link from UAE and Perth and sharing the joy.

What a performance. The level that 95% of the team played at was unbelievable.

All credit to our superstars who were out of this world and way too good for Geelong. But nothing excites me so much as the clean, composed footy Spargo and Bowey played when the game was on the line, Pickett being clinical and ruthless, Brayshaw playing the tough finals football I knew he could.

Special mention to Brown and ANB, two much maligned players, including by me, who have strung together 3 great games of pressure football. Brown is playing a contested key forward role in a way he never has before, and ANB is just a totally different footballer, he’s a star right now.

Win or lose in a fortnight, this is one of the great list building performances by a footy club. But it’s just goes to show it’s about more than just getting all the pieces in, you then need the players to execute on match day. Right now we have so many guys absolutely playing out of their skins.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I remarked to the old man that the clock was broken, with still 16:25 to go, and what 4 goals? I genuinely thought they had forgotten to restart it at some point.

Fritsch goals, 17:00 to go.
Gawny unleashes a 60m bomb, 16:42 remaining.
Tmac joins the part 16:25 left.

insane 35 seconds of footy

Last edited:
We had the Gawn vs Geelong round 23 with the titanic music.. Anyone have any video requests/meme ideas for the Dees over the next fortnight? Happy to make some stuff if I have time and the ideas aren't too ambitious.
Can I please request Gawns 4 3rd quarter goals in 4 same-time quarter of the screen boxes (or even the fifth slapped in the middle), timed so that the actual goal occurs ALMOST simultaneously, but with just a tiny gap between them, so we can have 5 versions of the same identical titanic music, all slightly offset by a few milliseconds!

will sound epic! - happy to do it myself if someone has the video files

I remarked to the old man that the clock was broken, with still 16:25 to go, and what 4 goals? I genuinely thought they had forgotten to restart it at some point.

Genuinely was a crazy realization. So much had happened and then you realized the entire half was still to be played.

Dont know what it was but when Max ran to 60 and launched that goal on the run I lost it, tears welled up out off nowhere, you cant do that as as a 210+cm ruckman, hit to as sweet as you could ever, still get goosebumps looking at it today, one of the greatest (if not the greatest) performance ive seen from a Melbourne player in a game ever. So proud of him, true captains performance.

Gazz down in the rooms after the game with tears in his eyes and that hug with Max, man, its been emotional.

One more to go.

Dont know what it was but when Max ran to 60 and launched that goal on the run I lost it, tears welled up out off nowhere, you cant do that as as a 210+cm ruckman, hit to as sweet as you could ever, still get goosebumps looking at it today, one of the greatest (if not the greatest) performance ive seen from a Melbourne player in a game ever. So proud of him, true captains performance.

Gazz down in the rooms after the game with tears in his eyes and that hug with Max, man, its been emotional.

One more to go.

I had goosebumps when Max blasted that one on the run. *, so much time left and you just felt like it was game. set. match.

I hadn't sat back down after doing fist pumps between gawnys goal, and Macca's. Was that quick.

I had goosebumps when Max blasted that one on the run. fu**, so much time left and you just felt like it was game. set. match.

Think it was a combo of things for me, realising we were home, Max doing the absolutely outrageous and us embarrassing Geelong on the big stage after they had done it to us for so long , the torment that club has caused me over the journey, man it was so ******* sweet.

Such a perfect moment.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back