Review Dees v Handbaggers: the Good, Bad & Fugly - Rd 4, 2021

Remove this Banner Ad

Dees played fantastic team ball today

Melksham had plenty to prove tonight, and (I think )he proved it, being the unlikely inclusion.
He wasn't old and slow.

To be honest after half time I went up to Frank Grey Bar on level 3, watched rhrough the glass with full strength. Lost track entirely. Win for the ages Dees

What's the general length of time missed for a fractured eye socket? 4 weeks? More? That gash was brutal. Even if he didn't break anything the swelling would likely keep him out for a fortnight I would have imagined.

Good:
- Great team performance, hardly any passengers and everyone playing their role.
- Pressure everywhere
- Responded when challenged
- Lever, immense and the general down back when May went down. Great team defense full stop.
- Oliver. Broke the tag so well.
- Fritsch. Good job.
- Langdon. Oh yeah baby!
- Beating Geelong. * I hate that team so much. Bunch of sooking duckers.

Bad:
- Not making the most of our forward 50 / goal kicking opportunities. This will bite us on the bum like it has in the past if we don't tighten this up.
- Umpiring consistency for both teams. It was all over the place, probably balanced out but just bad.

Ugly:
- May injury. Hope he is ok and back soon.
- Selwood. Enough said.

Feeling pretty good about things. Don't feel like we are playing to our absolute best, but still winning. Barring injuries I see good things in our future.

I was at the game and it felt like he saved us multiple times. Was in the right spot and didnt lose many contests. Would have to watch the reply but I reckon he was really solid.
Thought the same of him last week at Manuka. He's working hard both ways and getting much more involved on the wing this year. Some of his efforts early were a bit meh but he was great in the last imo.

Best
Brother is a Geelong supporter and took my oldest niece to the game. It was cold and wet and their team lost.
A long commute home with my other niece, the youngest, a heretic like me, who chose the *in' Dees (best sporting team in the world).

Suck ******* eggs you pricks.

Good
Selwood getting pinged for incorrect disposal when he handballed it out of a Spargo tackle.
Feels like every week there's a different group of players who stand up. Lever, Viney, Oliver were outstanding today.
Tracc's warming up very nicely, ripper game too.
Lost my voice screaming "*IN' SLICK!!!!!!"

We are very wasteful kicking for goal and today we switched off at the end of the third.
I'd love to see a four-quarter effort where we take our chances in front of the big sticks.
Preferably against North.

Geelong are s**t. Should have absolutely buried them and won by 10 goals but I'll give us a pass due to the conditions and May going down early.

What's the general length of time missed for a fractured eye socket? 4 weeks? More? That gash was brutal. Even if he didn't break anything the swelling would likely keep him out for a fortnight I would have imagined.

He doesn’t go down easy. Must have clocked him right on the worst spot.

Looked like he was really struggling - thought he was going to spew on his way off.

Reckon surgery leaves him out for 3 weeks.

Geelong are sh*t. Should have absolutely buried them and won by 10 goals but I'll give us a pass due to the conditions and May going down early.
You are a true Melbourne supporter. Beat last year's grand finalist and top 4 contender in a relatively convincing manner and you're still not happy. Why can't we all just be happy 🤗

You're right, I went back and they said "Usually multiple, 3-4 weeks" somehow misheard as "couple". Very unlucky.

I fractured mine playing footy a few years ago and missed 4. Was lucky to avoid surgery and it wasn't nearly as ugly as May's looked. Really hope he gets lucky and it isn't too severe.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not enough love for Spargo, for a small bloke lays some big tackles
He's always been a whipping boy despite actually having composure going inside F50 and general footy IQ which most guys on this list lack, but it feels like this year the tackles are really sticking more. Super happy with he and Kozzy in the pockets

Ugly(and all season IMO): our philosophy going inside F50 is still plonk it at the top of the goalsquare, and try rely on our admittedly strong ground-level presence to lock it in, let us set up our press behind the ball...have seen too many good decision makers on our list kick the same kick on top of our forward's head for it to be some decision making wart of a select few. Is this a philosophy to protect our mids who don't run 2 ways perhaps?(Though this year Gussy on the wing has been quite good with his positioning IMO)

Seems like we're a bit like Manchester United, do our best work on the counter with more space for guys to lead into, but against a set defense we hit and hope.

Squaring to the top of the square will always be necessary! But you've got to mix it up more and our forward entries are just more linear than a lot of other teams' IMO, its something that gets found out badly in the finals IMO assuming we even make it there.

We have a pretty nice forward mix. Jacko, Boner, Maxy are all good at extending their dukes, reading it in the flight, all 3 are great at coming in from the side too. Fritta elite at leading patterns, positioning. Spargo and Kozzy the pressure, Kozzy the crumbing, Milshakes and Spargo the HF connectors. We could use someone actually good 1 on 1 with the body work too(Trac I guess resting forward offers this) but its a pretty functional forward mix.

But it just seems like it has a hard ceiling with this coach.

Also like we're executing the gameplan right, I agree this year the entries are better than previous years BUT that doesn't mean they're still good. Could really see Boner Brown not having desired impact when coming back because our talls are asked to just spotup in the goalsquare, try and bring it to ground with balls kicked over their heads and that just isn't his game at all.

Last edited:
Bad:
- Not making the most of our forward 50 / goal kicking opportunities. This will bite us on the bum like it has in the past if we don't tighten this up.

Thought this as well, getting away with it so far this year. Our entries into forward 50 have improved dramatically on the last two years so we are getting enough shots on goals, but missing too many particularly early in games

Good: Geez, we’re looking good. Strong, quick and hungry. Impressed with everyone so far, but Spargo and ANB have really lifted this year and it’s helping the team so much with their pressure and ball use.
Also, love seeing us best a side like the cats in wet weather footy at the G. Bloody awesome.

Bad: May’s injury, hopefully not out long.

Fugly:
The free kicks that Selwood has based his entire career around

Also have to say convinced we were pretenders after 3 rounds(Saints Dees one of the worst games I've seen live, period, in terms of skills) but that was so impressive today, I ABHOR using terms like "mentality" in analysis because its just reductive BS most of the time but in this one we just put that pressure on their engine room. Would have to think Scott regretted not playing Chooka Constable today because Clarry and Trac just ran roughshod over Guthrie and Duncan. Jelwood in his 30s still carrying that inside group

Also have to say convinced we were pretenders after 3 rounds(Saints Dees one of the worst games I've seen live, period, in terms of skills) but that was so impressive today, I ABHOR using terms like "mentality" in analysis because its just reductive BS most of the time but in this one we just put that pressure on their engine room. Would have to think Scott regretted not playing Chooka Constable today because Clarry and Trac just ran roughshod over Guthrie and Duncan. Jelwood in his 30s still carrying that inside group
It was also that they clearly had a plan of shutting down Oliver. Problem is Trac went nuts so then O’Conner went to Trac and Clarry went nuts then it was too late as both were up and about.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back