Review Dees v Handbaggers: the Good, Bad & Fugly - Rd 4, 2021

Remove this Banner Ad

Yes but they weren’t when we played them. We only beat them because we got them when they were bad
You sure? Beat GWS by 8 and Hawks only won by 1. Or are we talking about the LIVE ladder.

Jackson had another real ‘almost’ game today but looked a lot more lively and threatening than usual I thought. Crashed a lot of packs and flew hard for marks. Had some excellent clearances winning his own taps too.

If we’d have played the Saints on the Thursday night before other teams went past them in R2 we’d have lost.
Not sure about that. If we got in front of them by enough during the game the live ladder would have pushed them below the Hawks allowing us to storm home.

Good:
- Taking our goal-kicking opportunities after an iffy start. Hope all the Fritsch-knockers are enjoying their humble pie.
-

Humble pie? Humble pie that it finally didn't take a bloke who's paid to kick goals 3 shots at goal to actually figure out where they are?
He was very good and at the same ****ed up some huge moments. Dropped 2 sitters dead infront and had Kozzie free deep and shanked the kick and cost us a goal.

He could almost be one of the better forwards in the league but he's got alot to tidy up still.

First things first, how good is 4-0. We are doing enough to win without being brilliant which shows at least our base level is good. It hasnt been for a long time.
In my mind now we need to make top 4, anything short of that is a bit of a failure now and I dont care if thats pressure because we are atleast in the top 8 sides in it atm but you gotta finish top 4 to be a decent chance.

Negatives are that that performace still doesnt put us top 4 IMO. Same exact mistakes every week which will bite us if we dont improve. Im not content with a 12-10 season and an elimination final.

Somehow again a team has kicked incredibly accurately against us and instead of us having the game over at 3 qtr time, the game was completely in the balance on the scoreboard right near the end of the 3rd quarter. The great news is its only going to take a small adjustment for us to be a top 4 side IMO, slightly more efficient forward and slightly more efficient down back.

Its a little 6 of one half of the other, on one hand weve really dominated the Saints, Giants and Cats and should have won by 8 goals each week no problem, on the flipside its still gotta be worrying that we can dominate games and barely be infront at 3 qtr time in every bloody game. We just arent gonna be the better side for 3 qtrs everyweek.

Individually

Lever was a beast, ******* sacked up hard and took control of the defensive half. He stopped s**t knows how many attacks with his positioning. He was incredible

Jackson he is by no means dominating but s**t is he so valuable to us right now. It cant be understated how big it is that hes taking majority of ruck contests which allows Gawn to be so much more dangerous around the ground by either being a kick behind play or by drifting forward to worry defences. He also provides a great contest in the air for a young tall, doesnt get out marked and you can trust him to bring the ball to the front now. Brilliant, I love this kid. His potential is enormous.

Salem- I reckon hes become so reliable I dont even notice him sometimes, really starting to do some work in the air and hes very good 1 on 1. I wasnt convinved on him as a defender but hes been great this year. Keeps his feet alot more this year than he ever has

Forward 3-Koz, ANB and Spargo together. All of them have their moments and they dont have to be brilliant every week. Koz was down this week Spargo stepped up. The pressure these 3 put on is fantastic and all 3 of them use the ball beautifully.

Trac- 36 and 2, keep it up lad. He should be able to snag a couple every week hes that good

Oliver- Fair play mate, shithouse last week and I thought he dropped his bundle, this week he stood up and was brilliant. Worked his ass off all day and held onto the ball and waited for his best option. Instead of handballing to his first target he was making the movement himself and then looking for an option.

Langdon- I still hate the way he used the ball but * oath does he work hard, his wing positioning is as good as it gets. Still young too, no doubt he will keep improving.

Negative

Jimmy Jordon- I dont see much with this kid, apart from that goal round 1 he hasnt done a single thing Ive noticed that makes me go yep, hes gonna play a while. Jurys still out big time for mine on if he stays long term in the side.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Also Jayden Hunt was decent again, he's slowly rediscovered how to play behind the ball. He really adds something when he plays well

The Great - Brothers, could you not watch a full movie-length doco on Duckwood having a good sook to the umpires?

When Spargo out duck-wooded Duckwood, is that not glory?

Our second goal for the match was champagne.

Langdon- I still hate the way he used the ball but fu** oath does he work hard, his wing positioning is as good as it gets. Still young too, no doubt he will keep improving.

I honestly can't see what you're seeing. Agree he was a turnover merchant last year but this year I think his ball use has improved a lot.

I honestly can't see what you're seeing. Agree he was a turnover merchant last year but this year I think his ball use has improved a lot.
I agree. Think he's lowering the eyes a lot more and picking easier options for kicks rather than bombs to nothing.

More than happy to eat copious amounts of humble pie regading Petracca.

I was pretty scathing of him in 2018 and thought he was one of our softest players. To watch his transformation into one of the true leaders of the club has been a very pleasant surprise, and is now one of the players I enjoy watching most in the red and blue. A credit to him.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back