Review Dees v Handbaggers @ the Handbaggery: the Good, Bad & Ugly - and Gary Rohan's Revenge

Remove this Banner Ad

Going to but in for a second for a good reason.

Actually surprised to come on here and see how balanced realistic and measured the overwhelming majority of dees fans are. None of the “ it’s at geelong unfair “ crap, in fact most dees fans shooting it down when a Richmond fan or two gets going.

Very measured and intelligent responses that are free of anger and trash.

Makes me realize why geelong and Melbourne have respected each other for a very long time.

If geelong don’t win it, I will be happily going for Melbourne after reading the board.

Going to but in for a second for a good reason.

Actually surprised to come on here and see how balanced realistic and measured the overwhelming majority of dees fans are. None of the “ it’s at geelong unfair “ crap, in fact most dees fans shooting it down when a Richmond fan or two gets going.

Very measured and intelligent responses that are free of anger and trash.

Makes me realize why geelong and Melbourne have respected each other for a very long time.

If geelong don’t win it, I will be happily going for Melbourne after reading the board.
To be honest I was whinging about it in the build up. Only because I feel after winning the premiership and both teams finishing top 4, this was always going to be a big game yet Melbourne was the team that had to travel. Collingwood and Richmond get to play away games against Geelong at the mcg, why couldn't one of them play down at Geelong for once, that was my real beef, not with Geelong playing in Geelong. I get it Collingwood are a much bigger club so it is what it is, they aren't going to get a game down kp even they were bottom 6 last year.

In terms of home ground advantages I'm not too phased, wasnt a problem last year when we came from 7 goals down. Las night we didn't lose because of the crowd or the shape of the ground. We could have played the game on mars and wouldn't change the fact Geelong were harder and cleaner at the stoppages and moved the ball so well from defence to attack. Geelong just too good.

To be honest I was whinging about it in the build up. Only because I feel after winning the premiership and both teams finishing top 4, this was always going to be a big game yet Melbourne was the team that had to travel. Collingwood and Richmond get to play away games against Geelong at the mcg, why couldn't one of them play down at Geelong for once, that was my real beef, not with Geelong playing in Geelong. I get it Collingwood are a much bigger club so it is what it is, they aren't going to get a game down kp even they were bottom 6 last year.

In terms of home ground advantages I'm not too phased, wasnt a problem last year when we came from 7 goals down. Las night we didn't lose because of the crowd or the shape of the ground. We could have played the game on mars and wouldn't change the fact Geelong were harder and cleaner at the stoppages and moved the ball so well from defence to attack. Geelong just too good.
as scott said after the game and i am paraphrasing him a bit " it shows that when we perform well, we are capable". I imagine regardless of who won last night, nobody was going to get carried away either way, and from hearing scott talk i think he would quickly smack any arrogance out of the players if it came about as he is well aware it means very little if we do meet in a few months.

Goodwin strikes me as very down to earth and humble as well, so i cannot imagine he lets the boys do the same. Will be good homework for the boys to sit down and review on monday and i imagine we will take alot from it as well to review with what went wrong when melbourne had run ons throughout the game.

Still a long way to go, and i personally see it as anyones flag from 1st to 8th this season.

In the long run KP is more of a disadvantage for the Cats than it is an advantage. Helps them to dominate H&A seasons but doesn’t lead to any kind of finals success (when they aren’t an absolutely dominant side) when you have to go and play at different grounds. Not really worth complaining about when they’ve won three flags in 60 years.

As shown on Thursday they will win anywhere and anytime when they simply outplay their opponents. Result might have been closer at the MCG because they wouldn’t have been able to switch as effectively but we still needed to make up the huge discrepancy in effort around the ball which precedes however the ground might have influenced the result.

I just wish Pickett kicked that goal from 10m out to put us in front. It's pretty regulation these days. He missed, we didn't get an inside 50m after the miss I don't think. Massive momentum killer. For someone who gets 7 possessions, he needs to make them count.

I just wish Pickett kicked that goal from 10m out to put us in front. It's pretty regulation these days. He missed, we didn't get an inside 50m after the miss I don't think. Massive momentum killer. For someone who gets 7 possessions, he needs to make them count.
Personally I think the notion of ‘momentum killer’ on the basis of a single event is a total myth.

Momentum swings have been more and more prevalent over the past few years, and fans of the losing team are kidding themselves thinking that their team is so unprofessional that they will lose their grip entirely over a single miss at goal or an umpiring decision that goes against. I mean for Christ sakes a couple of dogs fans were insisting to themselves after the GF that one more goal to them in the third and we would have been ‘broken’. And we were only 3 goals down halfway through the third - what we did didn’t even qualify as a comeback.

We lost the game because we weren’t able to remedy Geelong’s consistent dominance at the stoppage, which we were able to do in the GF last year.

Last edited:
Personally I think the notion of ‘momentum killer’ on the basis of a single event is a total myth.

Momentum swings have been more and more prevalent over the past few years, and fans of the losing team are kidding themselves thinking that their team is so unprofessional that they will lose their grip entirely over a single miss at goal or an umpiring decision that goes against. I mean for Christ sakes a couple of dogs fans were insisting to themselves after the GF that one more goal to them in the third and we would have been ‘broken’. And we were only 3 goals down halfway through the third - what we did didn’t even qualify as a comeback.

We lost the game because we weren’t able to remedy Geelong’s consistent dominance at the stoppage, which we were able to do in the GF last year.
Oh My God Reaction GIF by 9Now

Another horrible take from old mate, on the balance of the game it was more than likely the cats would have goaled from the centre bounce and then continued to pummel us. Pickett costing us the game is as true as Gawn failing to mark on the wing in the second and it going back for a goal

Agree, although there are definitely big moments that can define close games, good or bad. Truth be told though we were lucky to even be in this game for as long as we were, thanks to Geelong inacurracy. Can't really point to a single error costing us when we were pretty comprehensively outplayed for most of the game.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back