Review Dees v Hawks: Good, Bad & Fugly - Rd 7, 2020

Remove this Banner Ad

The Lucas's Cook selection is by far the most frustrating pick.

I know for a fact that had Tom Lynch not been taken by GC a pick before, we would have snapped him up. Hence why we reached for Cook as the club was so desperate to get a KPF forward in asap.

If only..

Didn't realise Bennell had been reported for striking O'Meara and Stratton for striking Weid . Both been offered fines .
I noticed the Bennell jab on GameDay. Made me realise how much he already cares for the club and his teammates. He really gets around his mates when they do something good.

On Mi A2 Lite using BigFooty.com mobile app

I know for a fact that had Tom Lynch not been taken by GC a pick before, we would have snapped him up. Hence why we reached for Cook as the club was so desperate to get a KPF forward in asap.

If only..
The worst part is Darling was clearly the next best forward in the draft but the club passed on him due to the "character flaws" of having a drink and taking a girl back to his room on school camp...

Brayshaw- don't understand what has happened with him. If only we had 2018 Brayshaw to go with 2020 Petracca...

Brayshaw- don't understand what has happened with him. If only we had 2018 Brayshaw to go with 2020 Petracca...

This board has been way too harsh on Brayshaw. He wasn't that bad against Hawthorn.

This board has been way too harsh on Brayshaw. He wasn't that bad against Hawthorn.
Rewatching the game, I'd probably have him about Par for the game. Made some woeful skill errors, but also did some really impressive things that set up goals etc. I'm less annoyed with his performance after a rewatch, the skills issue were just more glaring than a lot of the positives he had.

All that said, he can certainly improve overall, but that isn't going to happen playing makeshift scratch matches.

I'm way over the top on him but it's because I don't see the point of us keeping him on the list. With Viney Oliver and Petracca he's never gonna be a starting inside mid for us so what's the point of having him. He's an asset we can use to upgrade another part of the field.
I'm judging him as a winger which is where he's playing. He's terrible.

I'm way over the top on him but it's because I don't see the point of us keeping him on the list. With Viney Oliver and Petracca he's never gonna be a starting inside mid for us so what's the point of having him. He's an asset we can use to upgrade another part of the field.
I'm judging him as a winger which is where he's playing. He's terrible.

Agree, I like Brayshaw but his skillset doesn't fit right now. Is becoming another Dom Tyson.

Trade him to North for our 1st round pick back?

Can't believe the suggestion at trading Brayshaw... obviously needs to improve his kicking this year but has been such an important ball mover for us that I can't see the benefit in letting him go unless it was for someone proven and who fills a gap.

Can't believe the suggestion at trading Brayshaw... obviously needs to improve his kicking this year but has been such an important ball mover for us that I can't see the benefit in letting him go unless it was for someone proven and who fills a gap.

That last sentence is the point though - he’s a type of player we are well stocked with and he still has decent value - if we can trade him for a decent return that more benefits the team, it’s worth it imo.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

If only..
Yeah we thought we'd get either Heppell or Lynch with that pick IIRC.

Imagine if Mitch Clark was still on the list :'(

I remember a phantom draft in the Herald sun had us getting heppell and Essendon picking up atley. Of course heppell ended up being a bolter and atley slid right down the order.
Pretty strong draft in the end, stands to reason that we'd end up getting the biggest bust in the first round. Would be happy with any of Swallow, Bennell, Day, Gaff, Polec, Conca, Caddy, Heppell, Prestia, Lynch, Brodie Smith, Jacobs, Atley, Isaac Smith, Wallis, Guthrie, Jamie Cripps or Darling. 18 of the 26 first picks have had decent careers.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

A weird twist of fate and all, but still ...

Pretty strong draft in the end, stands to reason that we'd end up getting the biggest bust in the first round. Would be happy with any of Swallow, Bennell, Day, Gaff, Polec, Conca, Caddy, Heppell, Prestia, Lynch, Brodie Smith, Jacobs, Atley, Isaac Smith, Wallis, Guthrie, Jamie Cripps or Darling. 18 of the 26 first picks have had decent careers.

Isaac Smith was the perfect pick up for Hawthorn imo. They had a good core of players in their mid twenties and were pretty close to challenging for another flag(s) so adding in a ready made 22 year old was a very wise decision.

The worst part is Darling was clearly the next best forward in the draft but the club passed on him due to the "character flaws" of having a drink and taking a girl back to his room on school camp...

Stupid, surely Oliver was the only one of our players who wouldn't have had a girl in there room before being drafted.

This is even funnier now that we know about Jack Watts' lifestyle.

Every club (including West Coast) passed on Darling for off-field reasons, even though he was up there with the top few talents. Says more about the industry than it does us - I daresay if he was a Victorian he'd have gone much higher in the end, pretty comfy for West Coast to take him with pick 26, especially given it was a priority pick also.

Problem is I don't see who we'd get that fills the gap that has a better upside than Angus.
What upside? He's had half of one good season in his career and he's 25. There's 100s of players in the competition with more 'upside'

What upside? He's had half of one good season in his career and he's 25. There's 100s of players in the competition with more 'upside'

Don't agree, he's proven that he can play at a high level - is tough player and his skills really aren't bad either.

He'll spend more time in the middle of the ground on rotation and he's not playing a wing role.

He's more of a role player at the moment, but all it will take is one injury to Oliver/Trac/Viney and he'll be the next bloke in our regular rotation.

Don't agree, he's proven that he can play at a high level - is tough player and his skills really aren't bad either.

He'll spend more time in the middle of the ground on rotation and he's not playing a wing role.

He's more of a role player at the moment, but all it will take is one injury to Oliver/Trac/Viney and he'll be the next bloke in our regular rotation.
Harmes/Sparrow/Jones are all fine depth of one of those gets injured, or you could just not play 3 ball hungry mids at a stoppage and run some others through it

Remove this Banner Ad

Back