Review Dees v Hird's Turds: the Good, the Bad & the Fugly in 24-BIT

Remove this Banner Ad

Not that any of us really has any idea, but I reckon what we did in the second half today was execute the game plan.
I couldn't watch the game but the radio commentators suggested that o-Mac let joey run up to the wing and stayed back , more by default than any tactical brainwave. Whatever it worked today .

Thought jones was very influential in the third
Yep, sure was. I was having a go at him at half time that he needed to step up as a leader, and he did. I felt his second half was very good. He just seemed to go in harder and lead by example which we need more of at important stages of games.

Got the sense he was pushed out, plus has done coaching at other clubs

I mean it was the right time. He was crap at the end. Would be far more of a surprise and slap too the face of us if he turned up at a game supporting Richmond. He played over a decade for us and won a couple leading goal kickers.

Saw on the news an Essendon fan screaming hysterically at Gawn at the boundary.
He handled it quite well, he is a cult figure more or less, not a dirty player.

Good today Dees, Horrid first half.
One thing I did see was when Spargo kicked his first (under pressure contented possession), with a snap with an Essendon Defender in front of him, could of smothered his kick. I cant get over how close his kick was to being Smothered, i feel like if any one else tried that in there first game it wouldn't of got enough on it.:fire::fire::fire::thumbsu:

NIB looks like he might need a rest.
He doesnt do much for me.
Yeah he can run and cover ground with a massive tank, but that doesn't help when your not getting the pill.

Harmes got a lot of the ball today.

I had a thought in regards to Jones leadership, maybe he's just an introvert? He just worries about himself getting-a kick, and doesnt give "Luke Hodge" like leadership.

Fugly - obviously the tool on the fence. Should get banned for flog behaviour.

Should put him in the Bay:devil::poo:

From reddit:

78p4gyxaqsu01.jpg

They say a week is a long time in footy , on this board an hour is an eternity . First half " sack the coach" 3rd q he is a genius . Last q wtf . Rock on lads :)

I still think he needs I be sacked - we were very lucky against Essendon any other team would have been 6-7 up at half time

Terrible coach

Goodwin didn't change to much for mine, the players just implemented what he wanted a lot better. The killer for us from 1/4 time against the hawks to half time yesterday was;

Control of the ball by foot
Our front and squares inside 50
Forward 50 pressure
Kicking into the forward 50 was the best it has been all year

Goodwin didn't change to much for mine, the players just implemented what he wanted a lot better. The killer for us from 1/4 time against the hawks to half time yesterday was;

Control of the ball by foot
Our front and squares inside 50
Forward 50 pressure
Kicking into the forward 50 was the best it has been all year
This. There is definitely something wrong with cohesion between the players and Goodwin.

For mine Brayshaw was in great control at the clearances, still has lots of time. Great seeing Tommy Mc out there, adds so much to the team - but he needs to know when to get rid of the ball instead of hulking 3 tacklers.

Oh and 1st half was Neeld-esque.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

NIB looks like he might need a rest.
He doesnt do much for me.
Yeah he can run and cover ground with a massive tank, but that doesn't help when your not getting the pill.

I reckon hes a victim of how we've been playing - his go is to run ahead of the game and get right outside and burn off his opponent.

We haven't been playing in a way conducive to that at all - maybe part of that is on him - but he's doing the running.

I'd keep him in - with the likelihood of less pressure over the next few weeks and our game opening up, he may come back into form quickly.

Brayshaw's well and truly been best 22 since coming in.

On the other hand ANB has kicked as many goals in 6 games as Bugg did in one. He's s**t.
As someone else stated ANB is our best forward pressure player, he doesn't kick many but he creates plenty.

Everyone saying horrid first half, I'd say horrid first quarter and a bit of the second, the boys started responding in the second quarter at least.

Everyone saying horrid first half, I'd say horrid first quarter and a bit of the second, the boys started responding in the second quarter at least.
It was clearly gameplan I thought in the first half. We were just pushing our backs 1 kick too far forward so we could all guard space. Bombers, as with most oppo this year, just ran past us on the way to acres of space behind, all the way to goal. I'll have a look at the replay during the week, but it seemed like we backed off a bit on that suicide press.

It was either that or the bombers just had nothing left.

Good sides woukd have got out to too big a lead in that first half though. We were a bit lucky.

Last edited:
Haha. Apparently old mate who made a douche of himself was spoken to by police. They found that what he'd said was offensive, but not enough to warrant further action.

So the question is, what do you have to say to warrant further action? Have they got a list of words? Or is the bloke just lucky Gawn is white and the bloke couldn't get done for being racist or something?

At the ground, it was obvious we dropped off the hard high press in the second half. There was a clear instruction to have 1 if not 2 players significantly deeper than the opposition on defense. For most of the last half it was Oscar or Rev. Then we woke up to the fact that Stringer is laziest footballer to ever strap on a boot, and whoever was lined up on him was told to just run forward when it looked like we would get the ball. That was why Stringer got on his own a little in the second half, his opponent would run, turnover - someone tried to get back and cover, but couldn't quite.

I honestly don't know if the second half or the first half is the game plan. With the first half set up, we set up high to start with, and then teams chip the ball from side to side and pull apart the zone and suck us into coming up even higher, making the transition look easy. With the second half set up, we at least have an anchor (or two) back to plug the gap thats filled everytime someone loses their spot in the zone. The negative to it is that we will essentially go down one forward to achieve this, which hurts if we win a centre clearance, which is why the forward pressure becomes so important. We want to win the clearance, and force a stoppage, so then we can set up with our mids to try and cover the extra defender. This should also mean we can lock the ball in our forward half with extra man/men set up behind the ball to stop a rebound.

First half was us trying to play like we did in the second half. People need to realise that if we are playing badly it may not be Goodwin's instructions just the players inability to follow them. But i feel yesterday there was a balance of goodwin adjusting and the players implementing what he wants them to do, the players confidence grew as we started to gain momentum.

I thought having the Fritsch and Hannan combo made us ALOT more dangerous. Both are capable of creating a contest in the air and either marking or bringing it to ground. Also, they are both a massive threat when they stay on the ground. Makes our forward line extremely versatile.

As someone else stated ANB is our best forward pressure player, he doesn't kick many but he creates plenty.
Respectfully, "best forward presure player" sounds like a cop out to me. He's had four tackles in two weeks.

Sunday was probably his best game for us in 2018 and he was still one of our worst.
Calling for him to stay ahead of Brayshaw is the worst call I've seen on this board since someone suggested dropping O'mac last week. It's madness.

Respectfully, "best forward presure player" sounds like a cop out to me. He's had four tackles in two weeks.

Sunday was probably his best game for us in 2018 and he was still one of our worst.
Calling for him to stay ahead of Brayshaw is the worst call I've seen on this board since someone suggested dropping O'mac last week. It's madness.
He might need a rest, but he sets up goals, I don't think he will be out of the team for long if at all, I definitely don't think Omac or Bray should be dropped ahead of him.

Haha. Apparently old mate who made a douche of himself was spoken to by police. They found that what he'd said was offensive, but not enough to warrant further action.

So the question is, what do you have to say to warrant further action? Have they got a list of words? Or is the bloke just lucky Gawn is white and the bloke couldn't get done for being racist or something?

Anything that could be considered anti-social behaviour I suppose. He was smart enough not to touch Gawn though if he had he would have been in all sorts of trouble.

Now the poster boy for Nuffies on AFL pages so I hope he enjoys his 15 minutes.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back