Review Dees v Hird's Turds: the Good, the Bad & the Fugly in 24-BIT

Remove this Banner Ad

He might need a rest, but he sets up goals, I don't think he will be out of the team for long if at all, I definitely don't think Omac or Bray should be dropped ahead of him.
Fair enough. For me ANB is battling for a spot against a number of similar players up forward, and he's down on last years form (which is the same for pretty much everyone in our best 22 except Hogan and O'mac).
He's not "s**t" (poor choice of words from me) but on current form I can't see him in the team barring injures.

Goodwin didn't change to much for mine, the players just implemented what he wanted a lot better. The killer for us from 1/4 time against the hawks to half time yesterday was;

Control of the ball by foot
Our front and squares inside 50
Forward 50 pressure
Kicking into the forward 50 was the best it has been all year
Can't agree. Why did we go from chipping around the boundary to waltzing through the corridor? They're chalk and cheese.

I have no opinion on the coach myself, it was more a reflection of trying to follow the game on the game day thread here.

Fair enough - just want to be on the record that I still think he cannot coach and has lost the players - that first half was Neeld levels of bad

Fair enough - just want to be on the record that I still think he cannot coach and has lost the players - that first half was Neeld levels of bad
Talk about overreaction.

Can't agree. Why did we go from chipping around the boundary to waltzing through the corridor? They're chalk and cheese.

He didn't change much, is different from changing it altogether.

As i said what we produced against the Hawks is not our game plan, we rectified it somewhat against the tigers but the offensive ball movement was still safe (long down the line). How we played in the second half against Essendon is how Goodwin wants us to play, it is up to the players to have the confidence to hit the corridor kick. Even then we didn't suddenly start playing all footy through the corridor but regardless when moving the ball forward we maintained possession and more importantly lowered the eyes going forward. The big key was winning clearances and getting first use of the ball, essendon's pressure dropped off and the game opened up for us.

What about the other 14?

A couple of great ones - a few mediocre

I think we have a talented list - it we can all agree those terrible quarters cost games - and probably should have last night except we played Essendon

Here’s hoping I’m wrong

Please note I’m not relying on the Camp theory

A couple of great ones - a few mediocre

I think we have a talented list - it we can all agree those terrible quarters cost games - and probably should have last night except we played Essendon

Here’s hoping I’m wrong

Please note I’m not relying on the Camp theory

Just wondering, personally i think calling for goodwin to be sacked or even questioning his short term future is premature. But you said 10 quarters support your view, that leaves the majority as good in your eyes?

He will improve as a coach, the balance of our list is still young, with experience and maturity will come more reliable performances.

I know that sucks because we've be waiting 12 years already.

Would say I'm releived rather than happy with that peformance, much improved in the second half but we're still a mile off, a good side would have put us away early.

- Fritsch, Hannan, Spargo were all awesome.
- Gawn was a colossus
- Melksham was extremely influential.
- Omac good again
- Jetta and Hibberd played their best games of the season, hopefully a sign of things to come.
- Lever continues to improve.

A step in the right direction, but we're still along way off it.

Anything that could be considered anti-social behaviour I suppose. He was smart enough not to touch Gawn though if he had he would have been in all sorts of trouble.

Now the poster boy for Nuffies on AFL pages so I hope he enjoys his 15 minutes.

Do we have to apologise to him like Oliver and that Carlton mutant?

Comparing any Goodwin performance to Neeld is just hyperbole - do people forget this mob beat us by 148 points under Neeld once? A week after we were belted by 78 points? A week before we were belted by 94 points? Two weeks before we nearly lost to the hopeless Giants at home?

The first half was a shambles but the two teams were coming off no break and didn't even train during the week. Not really a big deal. The same thing happened last year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Comparing any Goodwin performance to Neeld is just hyperbole - do people forget this mob beat us by 148 points under Neeld once? A week after we were belted by 78 points? A week before we were belted by 94 points? Two weeks before we nearly lost to the hopeless Giants at home?

The first half was a shambles but the two teams were coming off no break and didn't even train during the week. Not really a big deal. The same thing happened last year.
But muh ‘will finish bottom 6’

In my opinion Melbourne just turning a corner and being super awesome is just not going to happen this year. Whatever* the core team is, they need years working together.

It is going to be a couple of years being like Richmond was in 2014/15/16 then pushing for gold, if everything goes well (though it seems that when Melbourne DO get in a grand final it is against the greatest team of the last 10 years...)

So getting rid of Goodwin is not going to solve anything. In fact, with the emotions he and his team are displaying in the Coaching box they really do not look happy with what the playing group is offering at this stage. And that is good I believe.

For me, when Viney comes in then ANB at this stage will be going out. So he has a couple of weeks left to impress.

*I say whatever as there are still many positions up for grabs, and the team is still rolling out new players.

Just wondering, personally i think calling for goodwin to be sacked or even questioning his short term future is premature. But you said 10 quarters support your view, that leaves the majority as good in your eyes?

He will improve as a coach, the balance of our list is still young, with experience and maturity will come more reliable performances.

I know that sucks because we've be waiting 12 years already.

Dude - your points are fair but you are missing mine a little.

It’s not like if half or more quarters we play are break even or winning we are all set - you would still be likely to lose - there’s no magic ratio - but 10/24 is too many to be consistently winning. So to say 14 are ok or good we should be happy - to me that’s a regression from last year

What I saw in the first half was a really confused bunch of dudes who weren’t bought in (obviously subjective but I was sober this time), and similar levels of crap to the many a Neeld game.

I agree with the young list point and it will take time for them to actually get consistent - fair call

But I don’t see the right structures, game plan, motivation, disciple and so on which I do attribute to the coaching staff - maybe that’s not goody, but we are a stubby short of a six pack for sure

Anyway - let’s bookmark it and revisit say round 18 - we will have more data for both sides of the coin

It’s not like if half or more quarters we play are break even or winning we are all set - you would still be likely to lose - there’s no magic ratio - but 10/24 is too many to be consistently winning. So to say 14 are ok or good we should be happy - to me that’s a regression from last year

What I saw in the first half was a really confused bunch of dudes who weren’t bought in (obviously subjective but I was sober this time), and similar levels of crap to the many a Neeld game.

I agree with the young list point and it will take time for them to actually get consistent - fair call

But I don’t see the right structures, game plan, motivation, disciple and so on which I do attribute to the coaching staff - maybe that’s not goody, but we are a stubby short of a six pack for sure

Anyway - let’s bookmark it and revisit say round 18 - we will have more data for both sides of the coin
Why round 18 and not 23

Fair call, but to compare this side on any level to neeld shows a lack of football knowledge IMO.

This flog flopping about in the Bombers cheersquad

To be fair, that is an excellent impression of one of those inflatable tube guys.

Also, people with flags like that would drive me wild at the footy. People behind them surely aren't paying to see some campaigner's stitchwork.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back