Review Dees v Lions: Good, Bad and Fugly

Remove this Banner Ad

Plays atrociously until a freak occurrence of the lights going out! Then we came back and lost by less than 2 goals …

The footy gods honoured us today

Best and most undeserving 11 point loss ive seen in my life.
the simpsons me fail english thats unpossible GIF

What a bizarre night, resumption of play had me up and about, but we really were spanked. Worst we’ve looked in the clearances for a long time, genuinely woeful, just an off night in general.

Real test is next week v Sydney, huge chance to go 2-1 after a tough opening fixture. Damn we just looked so shot tonight though, not expecting a win.

Ugly: Gawn, just sad, hoping it’s not a long term injury, footy just isn’t as fun without him.

Hyperbole aside
Exceptional name for a race horse or an indie band.

I don't think we can make sound judgements based on this game, it was Brisbane/Port last week.

Last edited:
Good:

Best game Sparrow has played in 18 months. Was really good. Shame about the rest of the side.
Hunter fine
Brown fine
Fritta fine
Chandler fine

Ugly:

McDonald, Harmes, Brayshaw, Oliver, Petty. ******* embarrassing
Goody playing Trac forward, look I get the plan, but when the s**t is hitting the fan big time in the middle put him in the middle, youre allowed to adjust mid game.
Flogged out of centre clearance, cant set up properly for stoppages in defense. Never going to win when that happens.
You cant spell method without meth. Nice to see us back to our predictable worst going inside 50.
Special * you to Viney. Your ruined everything, ruiner.

Last edited:
This really was a 'no one can have anything nice ever' type of game for Melbourne. It didn't matter what we tried, it didn't work.

The bears however had an everything turns to gold game. In saying that, they did put in greater effort than us and had a plan, but nothing seemed to go unrewarded (especially in the 3rd).

Probably been covered - so as the rule stands in a GF with 1 point difference and 10 minutes to go the team in front wins if they can’t come back on.
Sounds like a solid rule AFL!

Disappointing game but at least the end was fun. Benny Brown deserves a special mention, his work below his knees has become way better and his confidence is up because of it.

This really was a 'no one can have anything nice ever' type of game for Melbourne. It didn't matter what we tried, it didn't work.

The bears however had an everything turns to gold game. In saying that, they did put in greater effort than us and had a plan, but nothing seemed to go unrewarded (especially in the 3rd).
Agree. Brisbane were amazing until the break but we didn’t help ourselves going into our shells

Ben Brown equal first in the Coleman😍😍😍😍😍😍

Good: Despite our shambles of a backline and pathetic midfield we kept them to less than 100 points. Glad they had a crack but Brisbane went into conserve mode. I can go to bed now.

Bad: complete lack of effort and intensity from our midfield. That has been the hardest midfield game to watch in a long time, we were completely obliterated. Too many easy goals, second half of the first quarter was embarrassing then back to back goals in the second when we looked in control or at least even things up. Start of the 3rd they kicked 3 quick goals to get out to 40 points. Basically there's the ball game.

2 contested marks and losing clearances by 30 even with whatever we got in the restart was pretty insane. What do you do with that.

If Bris had been trying we score nothing from our entries at the end and if they were trying win wouldn't have won the ball in the first place.

Hoped Gawn going down wouldn't have been as catastrophic with Gundy but our inability to shut down the clearances when we weren't winning was a big concern.

I know it won’t happen but Tommo staying in, Petty forward is appealing. The amazing going forward forward line with JVR and Petty killing it for years to come. Our very own Curnow and Mackay!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

2 contested marks and losing clearances by 30 even with whatever we got in the restart was pretty insane. What do you do with that.

If Bris had been trying we score nothing from our entries at the end and if they were trying win wouldn't have won the ball in the first place.

Hoped Gawn going down wouldn't have been as catastrophic with Gundy but our inability to shut down the clearances when we weren't winning was a big concern.
Lol of course they were trying but it was a ridiculous situation for them. We had nothing to lose and they had everything to lose

Lol of course they were trying but it was a ridiculous situation for them. We had nothing to lose and they had everything to lose
Main point is gamestyle wise there is nothing to take from the restart. If we didn't claw back some % it would be truly deplorable. But we did and that was bare minimum. But it's not like if we just played as we did at the end we were in it as they were in conservation mode. We just bombed it it and snagged goals.

sorry, i dont want to seem like the "worst" or saltiest supporter but whilst the last 7 minutes was quite fluid football.
at this stage "Gallant" loses just arent good enough.

were not a fledging side, were a contender so ******* act like it. be ruthless, be the team we wanted them to be for so long.

Good:
Ben Brown on target for 80+ goals.
The power outage showed that the game was a complete aberration and if we play like that just keep kicking long and high, we’ll eventually have success.

Bad:
(Please this part with the Law and Order voiceover/sting in mind)
In the AFL, there are approximately 800 listed players. Clayton Oliver is considered to be in the top 10. His kryptonite is solid 3rd/4th midfielder Jarrod Berry.

Fugly:
Gawn’s knee
Feels towards Viney
The baptism the midfield copped

Petty should be dropped for May next week.

Been woeful two weeks in a row.
Did you watch Tomlinson lmao. Petty sucked but Tomlinson was even worse.

sorry, i dont want to seem like the "worst" or saltiest supporter but whilst the last 7 minutes was quite fluid football.
at this stage "Gallant" loses just arent good enough.

were not a fledging side, were a contender so ******* act like it. be ruthless, be the team we wanted them to be for so long.
Is it a gallant loss? You can't win every single game. We were appalling, they were awesome. As we learned last year, better rd 2 than rd 20.

thanks north
Is it a gallant loss? You can't win every single game. We were appalling, they were awesome. As we learned last year, better rd 2 than rd 20.
if we could pull that game out of our ass with 6 goals in 5 minutes to play, without a full strength side then had we came to play from the start wed be 2-0.
thats all i'm saying, true we were shocking for majority of the game.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back