Review Dees v Lions: Good, Bad and Fugly

Remove this Banner Ad

There’s no such thing as a weak year, it’s all relative to the competition. We won and that’s that. No point comparing us to 2022, Collingwood and Sydney weren’t there and we decimated Geelong in a PF.

Need to sort the midfield stuff out. Brown was good, Petty might need to go forward, TMac is done, and we are missing May. Brisbane were flogged by Port last week and we only lost by 11 once we got our act together.

Petracca, Oliver, Viney are the core midfielders, they need to cop the flack. No point playing Petracca in the forward line.

Petty would absolutely be playing forward next week if we refuse to play JVR if I was coach. As a final Hail Mary before dropping his ass. I cant with TMac anymore.

Last night showed how much we missed Kozzie too - up forward and in the midfield.

We have few line-breakers, risk-takers and good kicks and Kozzie is one of the best in the league at all that. Do we have anyone else on our list with potential in that area? Howes? AMW?

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Couldn't agree more, in hindsight, our record on the road and vs the Lions blinded me this week, shouldn't have been anywhere near as optimistic without Kozzy, a true difference maker on a team with bugger all of them.

There’s no such thing as a weak year, it’s all relative to the competition. We won and that’s that. No point comparing us to 2022, Collingwood and Sydney weren’t there and we decimated Geelong in a PF.

Need to sort the midfield stuff out. Brown was good, Petty might need to go forward, TMac is done, and we are missing May. Brisbane were flogged by Port last week and we only lost by 11 once we got our act together.

Petracca, Oliver, Viney are the core midfielders, they need to cop the flack. No point playing Petracca in the forward line.
Of course there's a weak year 😂😂 not every single top 4 is the exact same level that's just stupid. Geelong and Stkilda of 2009-11 would flog WC and Collingwood in 2018.

Once we got our act together?? You mean after the game got stopped and Brisbane stopped trying. We didn't do s**t to get our act together

Couldn't agree more, in hindsight, our record on the road and vs the Lions blinded me this week, shouldn't have been anywhere near as optimistic without Kozzy, a true difference maker on a team with bugger all of them.
Problem is, doesn't matter who we bring in or change. When Oliver, Viney, Trac, Petty and Tmac dish that s**t up then the 15-22 players are irrelevant. They don't win us games. The midfield and dominant forwards and back do.

Of course there's a weak year 😂😂 not every single top 4 is the exact same level that's just stupid. Geelong and Stkilda of 2009-11 would flog WC and Collingwood in 2018.

Once we got our act together?? You mean after the game got stopped and Brisbane stopped trying. We didn't do s**t to get our act together
Comparing year to year is apples and oranges, who cares. It’s irrelevant. Who gives a toss.

It’s round 2, we were s**t, if you think we can’t do it then don’t watch it. I’d be checking out if that effort came from round 19.

Improvement has to come from the 22 we had last night, not JVR because everyone thinks he is the answer to Tom McDonald. He won’t be giving us the Midas touch.

Comparing year to year is apples and oranges, who cares. It’s irrelevant. Who gives a toss.

It’s round 2, we were s**t, if you think we can’t do it then don’t watch it. I’d be checking out if that effort came from round 19.
It's not irrelevant to the point that went way over ya head mate. We stagnated everyone else moved forward.

I'm trying to wrap my head around how we were so badly beaten at the stoppages, the only thing I can think of was we reverted to bees to the honey pot style, completely getting sucked in while Brisbane were constantly able to find space on the outside of the contest. It felt like we were cheating forward as well way too much space at the back once Brisbane won the ball it was straight into the forward line, Lever gave away a free to Daniher because it came in so quickly.

It's not irrelevant to the point that went way over ya head mate. We stagnated everyone else moved forward.
Well, no it didn’t. We finished 2nd after our premiership, we have some issues but it took Geelong 8 years to sort it out and win a flag. Brisbane has not done anything but win a semi on the road since 2019, WB never finished top 4, etc. We played like cut pigs, sure, but I’ll take solace that it’s round 2.

If we get molested by Sydney next week, and it’s a pattern against good sides, I’ll agree with you. Until then, I am staying optimistic.

I'm trying to wrap my head around how we were so badly beaten at the stoppages, the only thing I can think of was we reverted to bees to the honey pot style, completely getting sucked in while Brisbane were constantly able to find space on the outside of the contest. It felt like we were cheating forward as well way too much space at the back once Brisbane won the ball it was straight into the forward line, Lever gave away a free to Daniher because it came in so quickly.
Our midfield has the ability to look around at each other and go yep, Gawn, Oliver, Trac, Viney yeah we're the best in the business we're gonna win it and they need to stop us. When they start losing they have no ability to suck up their egos and just lock it down. We lose em badly because Oliver will hit the contest at a million miles an hour, not get the ball and then he's out of it once the lion's grab it.

Struggle to find any positives from last night tbh.

Swans will beat us yet again next week. The good sides have worked us out.

We just lack spark without Koz. We lack cohesion down back against the good sides without May. Even though BB kicked another 4, our forwardline and entries were the usual level of s***! I mean, were still persisting with Melksham, TMac and Brown!? Brown gets a pass but no team.is fearing that combo. Our incredible wing brigade have been nullified. Clearances are still a huge concern. Viney throws our mix right out. We can't play Viney, Oliver, Trac in that midfield. It doesn't work. Love Petty but he's been useless without May. 2 contested marks for the game? Is that right? That's embarrassing.

Glad we peeled back the scoreline for % reasons, but that was as good as a 14 goal loss. Most worrying is that I feel the good sides have totally worked us out. Freeze out our wingers. Keep the pressure high on our gun mids who are hopeless kicks under pressure. Then attack fast down the middle which makes our defence panic.

Tmac looks cooked too. Zero impact first two weeks. Unless he turns things around miraculously he'll be at Casey by Round 6. Our small forwards again rendered useless. If we don't sign Koz then I'm worried our F50 is going to be unwatchable. Let's see how we back.this up against a team.we can't beat. I've already plonked a $50 on the Swans at over $2.50. That's crazy good odds.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Struggle to find any positives from last night tbh.

Swans will beat us yet again next week. The good sides have worked us out.

We just lack spark without Koz. We lack cohesion down back against the good sides without May. Even though BB kicked another 4, our forwardline and entries were the usual level of s***! I mean, were still persisting with Melksham, TMac and Brown!? Brown gets a pass but no team.is fearing that combo. Our incredible wing brigade have been nullified. Clearances are still a huge concern. Viney throws our mix right out. We can't play Viney, Oliver, Trac in that midfield. It doesn't work. Love Petty but he's been useless without May. 2 contested marks for the game? Is that right? That's embarrassing.

Glad we peeled back the scoreline for % reasons, but that was as good as a 14 goal loss. Most worrying is that I feel the good sides have totally worked us out. Freeze out our wingers. Keep the pressure high on our gun mids who are hopeless kicks under pressure. Then attack fast down the middle which makes our defence panic.

Tmac looks cooked too. Zero impact first two weeks. Unless he turns things around miraculously he'll be at Casey by Round 6. Our small forwards again rendered useless. If we don't sign Koz then I'm worried our F50 is going to be unwatchable. Let's see how we back.this up against a team.we can't beat. I've already plonked a $50 on the Swans at over $2.50. That's crazy good odds.

Agree with all of it, except for the part about our wingers, Langdon had a poor night but Hunter was good. Actually knows how to use the ball. A rarity in this team.

Agree with all of it, except for the part about our wingers, Langdon had a poor night but Hunter was good. Actually knows how to use the ball. A rarity in this team.
We don't switch the play at all or give them space to run. Doesn't even feel like they are playing as wingers

So funny watching us use the corridor and kick lower the the top tier of the GABBA when the game was shot. Did Goody not tell them to do that at half time? or is it just these thick campaigners dont listen and want to do their own thing. Seems like once we felt the pressure we reverted back to all the bad habits.

Are our mids forbidden from kicking goals?

There were a few instances where Petracca should have been blazing away, but instead he raises his eyes to kick to an outnumbered teammate. And then be botches the kick to put the teammate into further disadvantage.

I am not saying the opportunies Trac had were easy shots, but he was within range and it was a better option than the player he tried to dump the ball off to.

And don't get me started with Viney handballing to a Lions player rather than taking the shot.

This is why I think Harmes is wasted in defence. He seems better suited to the forward line. At least he is a greedy bugger that will never miss a chance to take a shot.

So funny watching us use the corridor and kick lower the the top tier of the GABBA when the game was shot. Did Goody not tell them to do that at half time? or is it just these thick campaigners dont listen and want to do their own thing. Seems like once we felt the pressure we reverted back to all the bad habits.

Brisbane stopped trying.

Dees are flat track bullies.

Brisbane stopped trying.

Dees are flat track bullies.

No doubt they stopped trying, just saying once the pressure was off we tried doing things like a normal team rather than looking like under 10's.

No doubt they stopped trying, just saying once the pressure was off we tried doing things like a normal team rather than looking like under 10's.
Still feel like we bombed it long tho Brisbane just stopped trying at clearances and stopped getting numbers back.

We go to water once pressure is applied though because we don't have many good kicks, especially through the midfield. Any team.can look good when the pressure is off. That last 12mins is not a good indication of how we're going. If we lose to the Swans the same way yet again, then I'm convinced we're not getting close this year.

Still feel like we bombed it long tho Brisbane just stopped trying at clearances and stopped getting numbers back.

Kicks were much lower. Much lower. I'm not saying it's a positive. Damning that we choke so hard when the pressure is on and bomb blindly.

Fixed our ball movement have we mate? That was peak dog s**t ball movement Melbourne. Looked every bit as bad as our worst footy and it's our best players responsible. You've had a mare with this one chief.
Yeah, ball movement was 2022 levels tonight. Pretty bad s**t. Chief mate cobber etc

Tmac looks cooked too. Zero impact first two weeks. Unless he turns things around miraculously he'll be at Casey by Round 6.
He looks bad, but he’s old and coming off a long term injury. He was always going to be rusty, he gets a few more weeks to show something given his general importance. Grundy similar but obviously fitter at this stage

Our wingers have had little to no impact first 2 games. We're not looking for them or using them. It's actually a strength of ours but so far first 2 rounds they have had bare minimum impact on the games. Avg 16 and 17 touches with only the 1 goal between them. Little to no impact so far

Remove this Banner Ad

Back